Hird wants Hansen

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
Ossie
Club Captain

Hird wants Hansen

Post by Ossie »

Listening to 3AW last night and they put the draft scenario to him.

He said we definitely needed a CHB and a few midfielders.
Given the choice between Hansen and Gumbleton he said he'd go for Hansen, being a Victorian lad.
I'm sure Hirdy's view counts for plenty around the club (although probably not in an official sense).

With Mal Michael now joining, (I'm still :shock: :shock: :shock: over that, just quietly) will we still go for a key position, or will we go for Selwood?
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

hansen/selwood/gibbs/gumbleton or luenberger. it will be a good choice no matter what.

its a pity non of them are already bomber supporters.
nmgilbert
On the Rookie List

Post by nmgilbert »

Well, with Michael signing up it sorta quells the need to sure up our defense but its only a short term solution. We need a key defender to take over in 2 years time and i dont think we've got one - not only that, it will take a couple of years to develop one so the time seems perfect to draft one.

Not only that, Michael and Fletch are really both fullbacks so the CHB position still has a query over it. We also need a quality midfielder. In my opinion it comes down to the quality of player we can get with pick 18 and 20. If there is enough depth of quality midfielders we should get a KPP with our first pick. If there is more quality key position players we should get a Selwood or something with the first pick.

I don't think Looney is an option considering we have Laycock, Hille, Ryder and Mckinnon as pure ruckmen. Looney just wouldn't improve our team as much as a midfielder or key defender would.
sconsey
On the Rookie List

Post by sconsey »

Hmm, makes you wonder...With the signing of Mal, does it change the Bombers selection. He is only 29, and on a two year deal, and could still get a few more years after this deal expires....Whats your thoughts, will we still be looking for a CHB or do you think signing Mal fills that Void and allows us to take a midfielder???
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Id still take Hansen as having Fletch and Michael will allow him to grow into the role at his own pace.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
nmgilbert
On the Rookie List

Post by nmgilbert »

But its interesting because on the AFL site it reports Essendon is having an interview with Gumbleton today!

This might suggest that they were gonna pick Hansen but now that they signed up Michael they will consider Gumbleton a bit more.

The plot thickens!
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

nmgilbert wrote:But its interesting because on the AFL site it reports Essendon is having an interview with Gumbleton today!

This might suggest that they were gonna pick Hansen but now that they signed up Michael they will consider Gumbleton a bit more.

The plot thickens!
sheeds was quoted as saying as he will be talking to a couple of west australians.

I wonder, did we even bother chatting to Bryce Gibbs in case Carlton decide to take say Leuenberger?
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

Carlton may not take Gibbs, it's far from official apparently, and they did delist Chris Bryan yesterday.

We just have to take Hansen or Gumbleton, unless Gibbs is available which makes things interesting.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

So the only ruckman the Blues have on their list now are Hackland and McCraplen.

Think the question as just been answered!!!

Seriously if the Blues don't take Loony with those two hacks are their only ruckmen on the list, then that club is even more of a joke than a thought.

Welcome to the Red and Black Gibbsy!!!!
sconsey
On the Rookie List

Post by sconsey »

I think I can say without any hesitation. That I hav no F*****G idea who we are going to pick up tomorrow. The thought of Gibbs putting the pill on Lloyds chest is a nice thought, or Looney feeding our midfielders with first use, or Hansen and Gumby towelling up their opponents...or Selwood racking up the possesions... can we take all of them??? Just a thought... We did find one floor in contract negotiation, is there another??? lol
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

I reckon still draft Hansen. Michael should be good for around 2 years by which time hopefully a replacement will emerge for Fletcher and Hansen will be really stepping up at CHB.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

I still want to key defender. With Fletcher and Michael this young kid in Hansen will get the third best forward. That way he gets a year to feel his way into the game of AFL.
fordmania
Top Up Player

Post by fordmania »

Definately a Key Defender, because Sheedy has always said he wants to play Fletch up forward when his is older. And now with Michael on board, and Hansen, he will be able to do that after a quarter or so.
When does Beer taste the best? When it's for FREE!!!
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

wow Sheeds want Fletch up forward at the end of his career.

Not going to happen...one even if we do pick up a key defender, they are going to be an 18 year old kid, we are still going to require Fletcher down back for at least 2-3 years....he's not going to be still playing after that.

2 who exactly do we replace in the forwad line with Fletcher....Lucas, Lloyd, Johns????!!!

And I'm sorry but on the occassions Sheeds has thrown Fletch forward I really haven't been at all impressed with what he's managed to acheive down there.

The fact that Carlton only have McLaren and Ackland and the fact we've just signed Michael points to us grabbing Bryce Gibbs!!!

Well we still be able to get our hands on a very good key defender prospect at 18 or 20. I wouldn't be surprised if one of Nathan Brown or Eric Mackensie are still available then. From what I've heard of them they should be good solid key defenders, not superstars, but good players.

One thing is for sure, bar any major injury or illness Gibbs will be a champion and if available we should grab him!!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I don't know how you've come to the conclusion that we will get Gibbs. Carlton are absolutely committed to picking him. The reason for that is that they have signed Hackland and will pick him 1st in the PSD. That was their logic. Pick a ruckman in PSD, then get gun midfielder in the ND.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

I was thinking that Carlton would do what best for their club.

That have Cain Hackland and Dylan McCraplan as they only two ruckmen on their list. They actually have quite a few promising young midfielders on their list.

Both Gibbs and Luenberger are going to be champion players, they needed a champion ruckman far more than a champion midfielder.

But oh well they went the easy selection that they would have to defend, instead of making a pick that in the long term would benefit the club more because idiot supporters wouldn't understand it and they would have to defend the selection.

Just look at the fact that the idiot Carlton trolls on Bigfooty are complaining that they selected a ruckman at pick 19 instead of Tom Hislop!!

They don't have anything resembling a ruckman's arsehole on their list, but they still wanted the club to take another midfielder at pick 19, instead of a ruckman.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Well I would have agreed with Hird.... seems the recruiting staff didn't.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant