Its Gumbleton!!

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Don't want to get ahead of ourselves, but looking at all the selections, you could say that we have had the best draft.

I thought we may have gone Hansen, but Gumby has more of an X factor, and can always be groomed into a CHB if needed.
Sol
Top Up Player

Post by Sol »

Dont get the decision to take Davey.

He trained with Melbourne last year and couldnt get a gig on thier rookie list, now we take him at #36 in one of the best drafts for years. :?

Surely we could have rookied him. Pretty happy with the rest of our picks, think it panned out quite well if we also consider the Mal Michael Coup.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Davey is a 'sheedyesque' selection. Probably a waste, but the rest of the picks are very good. Maybe sheeds is hoping that he is a late bloomer. i.e. Lovey or even his brother.
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

boncer34 wrote:Jetta at 18 is an absoloute steal. Most recruiters had him going around 8-12.
So is this your last day on this forum before you head off to Geelong's? :P
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Early last year Jetta was being talked about as a possible number 1 pick this year. Obviously he slided a bit this year, but it was a good pick to get him at 18, seeing most fantasy drafts I saw had him going between 7-12.

Also very happy to get Tom Hislop, from what I've heard of him, we've good a damn good midfielders their.

Can anyone tell us anything about this Kyle Riemer guy...haven't heard about him before today.
Bombers4Premiers
Regular Senior Player

Post by Bombers4Premiers »

I haven't heard of Kyle Reimers either, ealesy, so sorry I can't be any help to you on that front.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Reimers is a lightly built forward from what I have heard and seen. Good hands. Looks like a sheedy project player. He is fairly thin, but at a late pick, may be worth seeing what he can do with a bigger body.
sash
On the Rookie List

Post by sash »

I was listening to SEN just before the draft and I think it was the AIS coach that said if there was one guy that we wanted to go it would be Kyle Riemer. Said he had been through hard times and in the right environment he would shine. A bit of a story behind him and the guy obvisouly thought he had a good potential behind him.

Other than that pretty happy with draft, obvisouly hislop and Jetta are seen as good pick ups and we've adressed the midfeild just as I wanted after going with a quality KPP. Can't complian with Gumbleton interesting to see where he plays. Although I'm not to happy abotu picking about Davey. Guessing he is similar to Jetta. Who are both similar to Dempsey and Lovett. Have we got to many of that kind.

And I'm very happy with houli and late pick too, :) I started a thread on him a while a while ago saying we should draft him so I'm very happy he is at the bombers. Was jumping up and down when I heard his name. Only problem is injury so hopefully he can over come them.

I missed Sheedy on SEN dam :( any listen to it? Care to share what he said?
Last edited by sash on Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Jetta! Woo!

Saw him play in LAST YEAR's U/18 Champs and he was cutting them up. He's got another year under his belt now and I thought he was a gun back then.

To pick up Jetta and Houli, as well as Gumbelton and Hislop (although I don't know much about him) looks like a pretty good draft to me. Not sure where Hislop is going to squeeze in as a mid sized forward, especially with Lloyd, Lucas, Johns and Hird all playing up forward. If we've got a Lovett, Monfries and now maybe a Jetta running around down there with those guys... crikey.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
sash
On the Rookie List

Post by sash »

I can see Hislop playing in the midfeild seems to be pretty tough with skill too from what I've heard. Guy on SEN said he was a creative aswell. Seems like a decent pick up.

P.S. Cant wait to see all the guys decked out in their Essendon gear.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

From what I've heard of Hislop I wouldn't be surprised if we had him earmarked for a role similar to O'Keefe in Sydney. Start him on the flank but get him to push up the field and act as another midfielder who is directed to go forward at every opportunity and kick goals.
Filthy

Post by Filthy »

Gumbleton becomes a Bomber
Saturday, 25 November 2006
After weeks of speculation, Essendon has selected key position player Scott Gumbleton with its first selection at the AFL National Draft this morning. Recruited from Peel Thunder, Gumbleton was an All-Australian representative at U18 level this year and played 15 senior games at Peel.

A strong mark, standing at 197cm and weighing 93kg, he is an agile tall who can be played at either end of the ground.

"I am stoked about where I have ended up, it’s a great club and I am very excited to go down there," Gumbleton explained on Bomber.tv.

"I had a meeting with Kevin Sheedy yesterday and he gave me the nod that if I was there at number two he would take me.

"But I was still nervous today and as soon as it was called out it was just relief for me."

To view the full Scott Gumbleton interview on Bomber.tv click here.

Known as an excitement machine, Leroy Jetta also joins the Bombers via selection 18. From South Fremantle, this Clontarf College graduate is super quick, has excellent evasive skills and an uncanny goal sense.

Standing at 177cm and weighing 75.5kg, he averaged 24 possessions in the NAB AFL U18 championships this year in a midfield/forward role.

Essendon has used draft selection 20 to boost its midfield supply. From the Tassie Mariners, Tom Hislop joins the Bombers as a robust and powerful player, who is strong overhead and a prolific ball winner.

An All-Australian at U18 level this year, he averaged 20 disposals and was ranking number one for tackles. He has an excellent speed and endurance combination being sub 3.00sec for 20m and mid level 14 for the Beep Test.

Brother of Melbourne star Aaron, Alywn Davey joins the Bombers at selection 36.

After a terrific season in the SANFL, this talented forward/midfielder kicked 39 goals for South Adelaide in 2006 and finished equal fifth in the club’s best and fairest. With his speed and sleek left foot kick he is sure to add some class to the Essendon midfield.

A hard working player, Bachar Houli was the Bombers fifth selection at number 42 overall.

From the Western Jets this left footer is a goal kicker and a consistent ball winner with strong leadership skills. A Vic Metro representative this year, he has combined good speed (2.96sec for 20m) with rankings in top 10 per cent of players tested in beep test (14.8) and three km (10.23sec) at NAB AFL Draft Camp.

Joining his team mate Scott Gumbleton, Kyle Reimers from Peel Thunder was selected by the Bombers at pick 47.

Standing at 184cm and weighing 78.3kg, Reimers is a forward who attacks the ball ferociously, but can also provide good defensive pressure while also kicking goals.

He was a WA U18 representative and AIS/AFL Academy Graduate this year.

Essendon passed on its final selection at number 68.
sconsey
On the Rookie List

Post by sconsey »

Well, from what everyone is saying, seems like we have the best crop of youngsters! I cant wait till the first game, and watch some of the youngsters if they make it into the top 22.
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

Filthy wrote:#5.....Mashor Ghouly (??)

I laughed so hard at that. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

has Dodoro saved his neck with this bunch - time will tell?
uptick
High Draft Pick
Location: Under cover, deep in the heart of Carlscum territory

Post by uptick »

Just watched the Gumbelton interview on BomberTV. Great to see such excitement. i'm sure all the draftees are the same, just makes one want the season to start STRAIGHT AWAY.!!. And to think we have the fun of Mal Michaels selection to come.

I get sucked in every year, the skies the limit, and we're headed there. :idea: Could 07 be the start of a serious campaign to actually get f'ing serious and win a flag, rather than tool around with stop gap measures to sort of be competitive, :idea: sure looks like it. :shock: :shock: :shock:
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

rama_fan wrote:
boncer34 wrote:Jetta at 18 is an absoloute steal. Most recruiters had him going around 8-12.
So is this your last day on this forum before you head off to Geelong's? :P
Meh I still say he will be a star but I'll take what we're given. My sister is a Cats fan so she was happy.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

2007 will be an interesting year with so many good young players now at the club.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

ealesy wrote:.

Can anyone tell us anything about this Kyle Riemer guy...haven't heard about him before today.
From Inside Football:

Kyle Reimers Medium Forward, Peel Thunder WA, DOB: 10/1/89 Ht: 183cm Wt: 85kg
"He travels up from Bunbury three times a week to play and train and actually played senior football as a 15 year old in the South West of Perth. He's very talented, very clever, well balanced and has a very competitive streak in him. He also possesses an outstanding goal sense" said Peel Thunder development manager Trevor Williams
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Last edited by BenDoolan on Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.