"X-factor"

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
gringo
Club Captain

"X-factor"

Post by gringo »

Dodoro talking about Leroy Jetta as quoted on the EFC website:

"He has pace, class and has the x-factor."

The X-Factor. Brilliant. I'm not sure if you've realised but this isn't Australian Idol, sunshine. Whilst it seems to be a widely held opinion that Jetta was a steal at 18, I can't help but think the "x-factor" had a lot to do with us drafting Bolton, Kepler and McAlister. When your hanging onto your job by the skin of your teeth, I think I'd leave terms like "x-factor" at home.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Or "X-Factor" could mean he has an extra touch of class or "magic" about him like a Chris Judd or Michael Long.

Just another way of looking at things :D
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Let me assure you that Jetta has the full alpahabet when it comes to 'factor rating'
sconsey
On the Rookie List

Post by sconsey »

By the sounds of everything, Jetta is going to be sumthing to watch...I think in the very near future, the Dons are going to be sumthing special to watch....Again!!!!!
ZRS
Regular Senior Player

Post by ZRS »

Gringo,
general concensus is that we cleaned up in a a super draft, and I keep reading posts from you with a very negative tone.

is there anything about this draft that you do like, or see any positives coming out of for next year?
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Gringo, general concensus is that you are a dickhead.

I keep hearing from everyone that we dont have that touch of brilliance in the team, the guy who could do that one freakish thing or turn a game with 3 goals in 5 minutes. Maybe Jetta will bring us that.

Dodo was saying that while Jetta is a good pick up, he ALSO brings us that "x-factor", that bit of excitement that we dont have at the moment.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

just the name JETTA adds excitment, how fitting to be at the bombers
Tamworth Bomber
Top Up Player

Post by Tamworth Bomber »

Gringo, try looking at the glass as being half full rather than half empty
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

x = mc2
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Did anyone see him play in the Under 18s? The boy can play. He was a star last year. A standout with a year to go before he was eligible to be drafted. Damn straight he was a steal at #18!!
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
Filthy

Post by Filthy »

Boyler_Room wrote:Did anyone see him play in the Under 18s? The boy can play. He was a star last year. A standout with a year to go before he was eligible to be drafted. Damn straight he was a steal at #18!!
Precisely.

He was actually pissed off that he didn't go top 10!! Like that. :wink:
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

As usual, y'all have missed the point of my post. The fact we’ve got Jetta at 18 is immaterial to the point I'm trying to make. I'll rephrase:

Dodoro has had, at best, a mediocre career as a recruiter at EFC. If you were going to compare his career to a player's career at Essendon, it would be difficult to go past Bolton i.e. just enough success to avoid the axe. Keeping this in mind, Dodoro has the balls to waddle out on draft day, obviously chuffed that we've snared Jetta at pick 18, and starts dropping phrases like "x-factor".

When your running the recruiting department of a multi-million dollar organisation during one of the best drafts in history, you need to come up with something a little more descriptive and wholesome than "x-factor". For example, in the unlikely event that Jetta turns out to be a dud, people are going to look to Dodoro for answers and he'll be sitting there scratching his head going "but he had the x-factor. I just can't understand it"….
Fratty McFrat
Top Up Player

Post by Fratty McFrat »

Coaches and players alike talk of "it," "stuff," "x-factor" whatever you wanna call it. Whether or not this kid possesses that holy intangible remains to be seen. But I’ve seen it before here in the U.S. A kid with a sub-par throwing motion and play-calling ability has “it.” Vince Young just goes out and wins games.

Hopefully Volkswagen Boy will do the same with Essendon. If he doesn't, at least we can all point the finger at Dodoro and justifiably show him the door.
Frat Hard
AnarchicBomber
Regular Senior Player

Post by AnarchicBomber »

Your argument is based on the premise that the word 'x-factor' was the only word, sentence, term, phrase etc. Dodoro used to describe Jetta. False premise, false argument. And besides, it is a commonly used term and we all knew what he meant by it. Michael Long had a quality to his play that you couldn't teach or even really define. That's the kind of thing Dodoro meant by x-factor.

Seriously, you scrape the bottom of the barrel looking for criticisms and lose all credibility in the process.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

[quote="AnarchicBomber"]Your argument is based on the premise that the word 'x-factor' was the only word, sentence, term, phrase etc. Dodoro used to describe Jetta. False premise, false argument. quote]

Sometimes I wish that I, too, had a brain the size of coos-coos granule. Life would be much simpler.
AnarchicBomber
Regular Senior Player

Post by AnarchicBomber »

Do you actually read or listen more widely than the EFC website or is one site the extent of your IT capabilities? Your sterling ability to use the quoting mechanism would suggest so.

And what the f*** is coos-coos? Is it anything like couscous?