The A.F.L.'s First Ever Muslim Player

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
AnarchicBomber
Regular Senior Player

The A.F.L.'s First Ever Muslim Player

Post by AnarchicBomber »

is Mr Bachar Houli. Well done E.F.C.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/real ... 78336.html

Apparently on top of being a talented player he is an exceptional person.

Fantastic for the club in so many ways.
sconsey
On the Rookie List

Post by sconsey »

I read an article on him ages ago, and yeh, good head on his shoulders, and can play! Pretty funny how he started playing footy, without telling his parents, then won all the medals, and had no-where to put them...
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Hmmm..........a muslim bomber. Havent heard of that before :wink:
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
sash
On the Rookie List

Post by sash »

lol ross. I think it is a get move bring Houli to the bombers anyway. I was hoping for a while he would come to us. Seems to have great skills,reads the gaem well too. Real class player. I remember reading the article in the age about him seems liek a good bloke too.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Furthermore, have heard that he is a very good player, and surprised he went so low.

But now religion comes into it. He is a strict muslim and rumadan (sp?) is a religious festival in which muslims fast between sunrise and sunset. However it sometimes falls in september. Now the question is, what does he do and what does the club do?

He needed special clearance from a religious leader if he could fast in his own time due to the draft camp, would he be allowed to do it again should we make the finals?

But glad to get him at such a low pick.
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
AnarchicBomber
Regular Senior Player

Post by AnarchicBomber »

Rossoneri wrote:
But now religion comes into it. He is a strict muslim and rumadan (sp?) is a religious festival in which muslims fast between sunrise and sunset. However it sometimes falls in september. Now the question is, what does he do and what does the club do?
That will be an issue but according to the article:

'In four or five years, Ramadan will fall in the football season, and he'll fast for a month.'

So that should be enough time to get that sorted!
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

AnarchicBomber wrote:
Rossoneri wrote:

'In four or five years, Ramadan will fall in the football season, and he'll fast for a month.'

Hope so, because if we have a big game and he is required to play, fasting will reduce your energy. We need players at their peak physical condition, so it will be interesting come that time.
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
AnarchicBomber
Regular Senior Player

Post by AnarchicBomber »

Rossoneri wrote:
AnarchicBomber wrote:
Rossoneri wrote:

Hope so, because if we have a big game and he is required to play, fasting will reduce your energy. We need players at their peak physical condition, so it will be interesting come that time.
Maybe it'll be in September and we won't have to worry :P KIDDING!
Makaveli
High Draft Pick

Post by Makaveli »

Rossoneri wrote:Hmmm..........a muslim bomber. Havent heard of that before :wink:
Haha, was gonna say the same thing. Hopefully we don't turn out like the canterbury bulldogs did after Al Masri went there though.
It's good to see essendon drafting a local from the western jets though and hopefully he does alright. Also with regards to ramadan it shouldn't be an issue, i remember my mate got clearance from the sheikh because he was going overseas, so i don't think its as bigger issue as people make out. That combined with the fact that he would be use to it by now.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Good on us. Getting him at pick 42 is a bit of a coup anyway. In terms of what this means for the game and Muslims in general, i'd say 'not much', citing Ezra Poyas as a precedent (Poyas being the first Jewish AFL player, i believe). But still, stoked that we had the open-mindedness to not pass over a talented player on the basis of religion.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

He looks like a pretty good player. Can't wait to see him in the red & black.
Raph31
Top Up Player

Post by Raph31 »

Hopefully we don't turn out like the canterbury bulldogs did after Al Masri went there though.
El Masri's a brilliant player isn't he? And thought to be a good role model? The Bulldogs as a club have certainly been pretty dodgy, but I think he's more an exception to the bad behaviour than anything else.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Raph31 wrote:
Hopefully we don't turn out like the canterbury bulldogs did after Al Masri went there though.
El Masri's a brilliant player isn't he? And thought to be a good role model? The Bulldogs as a club have certainly been pretty dodgy, but I think he's more an exception to the bad behaviour than anything else.
Raph, you're absolutely spot on. If Houli is to us what El Masri is to the Bulldogs in the NRL, then that would be fan-bloody-fantastic.

Maka, that was such a stupid comment for so many reasons:
1) El Masri is an absolute role model off the field, and a bloody gun on it.
2) El Masri going to the Bulldogs hasn't really changed anything. As a club, they've always had a large Muslim supporter base due to their heritage in coming from Bankstown and Canterbury in Sydney's south west. Bankstown especially has always had a large Lebanese community, and therefore the Bulldogs as an NRL team have had problems with their supporter base many, many years before El Masri came along.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

This statement from his coach was in the current edition of Inside Football:

"Onballer who can push forward. He's got a big engine and can play both outside and inside at a pinch> He'd be the best playre I've seen in the TAC Cup since I started coaching in 2005. When you watch him play he would clearly be the most skilful in the competition. His skills are as good as you would see in any junior in the country"
Western Jets Coach Mark Neeld

If he's half as good as this bloke says, he will be a gun!
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

Ahh, I've heard of other AFL players who are Muslims. The media just does not make a song & dance about it.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Yze is a muslim.

All the hype re Bachar centres on how devout he is.

Yze doesn't talk about it so it hasn't been news with him.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

Kind of like how when Gutnick was Melbourne President, the media was always harping on about the restrictions on him becasue he was a strict Jew.

What was the fuss? Who cares if the president watches a match or not?
sash
On the Rookie List

Post by sash »

Would rather not so much focus on the fact that he is muslim that shouldnt really change much at all!!! More to fact speak of his great football ability and skill and those injuries which could cost him his career.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Well said, sash, and welcome to the bombers Mr Houli! Praise Allah that you've arrived at Essendon and Ish'a Allah we will win premierships during your time at the club.