Mal Michael - Not a Done Deal yet

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Mal Michael - Not a Done Deal yet

Post by swoodley »

Just read this on afl.com:

Michael probe continuing
11:01:05 AM Wed 29 November, 2006
Naomi Levin
Sportal for afl.com.au

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou has said he's uncertain how long the league's investigation into Mal Michael's retirement backflip and planned move to Essendon will take to complete.

Last week the Bombers announced their intention to pick up Michael on a two-year deal in the upcoming pre-season draft after the Brisbane Lions triple-premiership defender had announced his retirement from football in early October.

Michael had one year remaining on his contract with the Lions and, in thanking Michael for his "fantastic" contribution, Brisbane coach Leigh Matthews said: "We understand each individual has their own career path to follow and Mal's does not involve playing anymore".

Brisbane was left seething over the circumstances, believing the club had been denied the right to trade for Michael and it urged the league to rule the 29-year-old ineligible for the pre-season draft.

"At the moment we don't think they (Essendon) are (in breach of any rules) but there is an investigation going on and we will have to wait for the outcome of the investigation," Demetriou said.

Demetriou said the only time the AFL was consulted regarding Michael was when Essendon contacted AFL investigations manager Ken Wood before any decision had been made.

"Peter Jackson contacted Ken Wood to ask whether Mal Michael was available to be drafted in the pre-season draft and the answer to that question was yes but that was a direct answer to a specific question," Demetriou said.

AFL football operations manager Adrian Anderson is overseeing the league's investigation.

Sounds like Vlad and co might be getting set to shaft us again.

Just our luck to have Anderson overseeing the investigation :evil:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

I doubt it.

the only thing that could shaft us, is if we were involved in Michael's decision to retire. That would be I am sure tampering and that is probably what the AFL is and should be looking into.

I have no reason to believe anyone involved has lied so far, and if the version of the truth presented at our press conference is fine then it is all very legitimate.

The footy world should be welcoming Michael back with welcome arms.

I thought it was a tragedy for the game when he first announced retirement.

This whole issue is being blown up and fanned by the media, desperate for some footy news to report on in this traditionally quiet time.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

It is pretty clear to me. Brisbane didn't put any kind of clause in the contract therefore there should be no investigation. It is that simple.
bugman
Champion of Essendon

Post by bugman »

If we weren't involved, which I seriously doubt, then any action would be restraint of trade and Mal would have a strong legal case.
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

The more I hear (such as the Hawthorn revelations), the more I'm sure Essendon acted fine and is in the clear.

That said, Brisbane may still have legal grounds against Michael to stop him playing. It would depend on the laws surrounding verbal contracts (no idea personally) and the contract that surrounded his 'ambassadorial' duties.

Of course, if the AFL/Brisbane stop Mal Michael nominating, it would indirectly affect us, and I think it is still possible that will happen, but it won't be aimed (IMO) at Essendon itself.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Hahaha, I love this speculation, investigation and procrastination about a very simple matter. He was afree agent, and we signed him on contract. Here is a simple investigative process for the AFL to consider......

AFL to Mal Michael: Were you aproached by EFC prior to making your retirement announcement and did they influence your decision?

Mal Michael: No.

AFL: Thankyou for your time, your asistance has been most helpful during our investigation.

AFL to EFC: Did you approach Mal Michael prior to announcement to retire and did you influence his decision?

EFC: No.

AFL: Thankyou for your time, your assistance has been most helpful during our investigation.

And he's not sure how long it will take???????
Last edited by BenDoolan on Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ossie
Club Captain

Re: Mal Michael - Not a Done Deal yet

Post by Ossie »

Doesn't this bit:
swoodley wrote:"Peter Jackson contacted Ken Wood to ask whether Mal Michael was available to be drafted in the pre-season draft and the answer to that question was yes..."
mean it's all above board?

We asked, they said go for it.
Don't know what else we're supposed to do. :?
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

BenDoolan wrote:Hahaha, I love this speculation, investigation and procrastination about a very simple matter. He was afree agent, and we signed him on contract. Here is a simple investigative process for the AFL to consider......

AFL to Mal Michael: Were you aproached by EFC prior to making your retirement announcement and did they influence your decision?

Mal Michael: No.

AFL: Thankyou for your time, your asistance has been most helpful during our investigation.

AFL to EFC: Did you approach Mal Michael prior to announcement to retire and did you influence his decision?

EFC: No.

AFL: Thankyou for your time, your assistance has been most helpful during our investigation.

And he's not sure how long it will take???????
I read that it was going to take 2-3 weeks.

Ken Wood must have a really bad stutter :lol:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

You seem to be missing the point that the investigation is far more likely to focus on whether Michael is truly a free agent than whether or not Essendon (or anyone else) tampered with the draft.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

antcl wrote:You seem to be missing the point that the investigation is far more likely to focus on whether Michael is truly a free agent than whether or not Essendon (or anyone else) tampered with the draft.
How long does it take to look at a piece of paper then?
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Re: Mal Michael - Not a Done Deal yet

Post by Crazyman »

Ossie wrote:Doesn't this bit:
swoodley wrote:"Peter Jackson contacted Ken Wood to ask whether Mal Michael was available to be drafted in the pre-season draft and the answer to that question was yes..."
mean it's all above board?

We asked, they said go for it.
Don't know what else we're supposed to do. :?
Well, I hear that Vlad has asked PJ to bend over and take it like a man...
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

ninemsn in the headlines reporting that the Michael deal is a pretty much going to get the green light.

Vlad has said it appears no rules have been broken and Hawthorn and now Richmond have come out and given us support.

Just as long as any decision is made prior to the PSD date, but I reckon it will be let to go thru to the keeper.
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

BenDoolan wrote:
antcl wrote:You seem to be missing the point that the investigation is far more likely to focus on whether Michael is truly a free agent than whether or not Essendon (or anyone else) tampered with the draft.
How long does it take to look at a piece of paper then?
That would depend on how many QCs look at it :lol:

I do think its pretty certain to go through. But I'm not willing to assume its 100% certain quite yet. I'll be watching Brisbane closely to see what they do, as I suspect any legal action if it eventuates will come from them.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Brisbane can cry all they want. There is nothing they can do.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Fair chance now that he will be coming to us, just bad luck for Brisbane.

My heart bleeds for them (yeah right)
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!