Delist/Retire.

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
Pazza
Essendon Legend

Post by Pazza »

Still think it'll be at least 8.

Retirements:

Rioli
Ramanauskas
Henneman

Delistees:

Cartledge
Nash (is he safe?)
Reynolds

Tradeables:

Bolton
Solomon
Welsh
McPhee
Bradley
McVeigh (e.g. could we use Bradley to get Akermanis?)
BT's resident umpire
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

Mcphee? Trading? No way. Hes had a bad year but we certainly know hes got the talent. Would not trade him. Mcveigh i would trade either. Hes a good contender for the B&F this year. Wouldnt trade him.

Would think about trading Mcveigh though.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Pazza wrote:Still think it'll be at least 8.

Retirements:

Rioli
Ramanauskas
Henneman

Delistees:

Cartledge
Nash (is he safe?)
Reynolds

Tradeables:

Bolton
Solomon
Welsh
McPhee
Bradley
McVeigh (e.g. could we use Bradley to get Akermanis?)
How the hell would the club look if it traded McVeigh?

He has been one of the few players to consistently perform to the required standard throughout the year.

What sort of message would that send to the playing group?
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Pazza
Essendon Legend

Post by Pazza »

Sadly in the trade market, you absolutely must offer something of decent value up, to get something decent going over the other way.

Unfortunately, we don't have a heck of a lot of quality to truly offer to other clubs. Getting a first round pick for Richards last year was a dead-set fluke and will never happen again.
BT's resident umpire
uptick
High Draft Pick
Location: Under cover, deep in the heart of Carlscum territory

Post by uptick »

Andy Lovett, how screwed up is that situation, can it be sorted ??
Pazza wrote:Sadly in the trade market, you absolutely must offer something of decent value up, to get something decent going over the other way.

Unfortunately, we don't have a heck of a lot of quality to truly offer to other clubs. Getting a first round pick for Richards last year was a dead-set fluke and will never happen again.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Pazza wrote:Sadly in the trade market, you absolutely must offer something of decent value up, to get something decent going over the other way.

I understand that line of thinking but I don't think trading McVeigh away (unless it was for Judd) would be good for the club.

He wears his heart on his sleeve whenever he plays and that is what a lot of other players should aspire to.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Pazza
Essendon Legend

Post by Pazza »

Interesting that uptick mentions Lovett there. Hmmm. That would send the wrong message, given the personal issues.
BT's resident umpire
spikefan
On the Rookie List

Post by spikefan »

I have a lot of respect for Pazza's posting in general but trading McVeigh (or even putting his name on a list of Tradeable) seems like a terribly misguided idea.

Not only McVeigh has been one of our best this year and likely top 5 in this years B+F, most likely top 3.

McVeigh is by far our best small defender and tagger (of top, hard to beat opposition players) and one of the few guys that knows how to tackle. Losing McVeigh would not help having a better season next year far from it; no matter who we get in exchange.

but also
McVeigh has outstanding work ethics, endeavour, aggro and is one of the role models for the younger players and he bleeds red and black. At age 25 McVeigh and Hille are the only bridge between the older generation and the younger players. I see McVeigh as vice-captain material much more than trade bait. Trading him would send a terrible message to the players and damage a bit more what makes Essendon great IMHO.

Finally, the club signed him a bit more than a month ago to a two years contract, while publicly acknowledging his form, contribution and talent. Of course for the cynic this does not mean much, but still this would be extremely bad form.
Red and Black Forever
ZRS
Regular Senior Player

Post by ZRS »

im with spikefan on all counts
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

Bolton (enough is enough)
Hennemann (what more can i say)
Reynolds (if his name wasnt Reynolds he would be on our list)
Rioli (retired)
Rama (so sad)
Solomon (trade him if anyone wants him)
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

cole did come from collingwood, so I don't know if he should need a whole season to get in shape??

imagine for example we sign aker up with a deal with brisbane.
he then sits on the couch eating pies all summer and turns into a whale.
would he then be a good pick up for 400K?

Cole looks the goods, but at the same time he is taking a spot up on an AFL team list when there are heaps of other blokes who would love their shot.

Will probably stay but is lucky.
uptick
High Draft Pick
Location: Under cover, deep in the heart of Carlscum territory

Post by uptick »

I mentioned him, from a social welfare point of view , need to stand by him, on the other hand, if , and it's if, the chicks comments in the hun are anywhere near correct, he needs a big kick up the arse, and even that might not sort him out, so trade bait ???.
Pazza wrote:Interesting that uptick mentions Lovett there. Hmmm. That would send the wrong message, given the personal issues.
If we are not supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat ?.
fordmania
Top Up Player

Post by fordmania »

I'm with you Spikeman as well. No way can Mcveigh be even thought of as trade bait.

As for Reynolds, Henneman. Delist.
Rioli, Rama. Retired.
Solly, Bolts. Trade Bait

Bolts would fit nicely into the Bulldogs small forward line.
When does Beer taste the best? When it's for FREE!!!
bueller
High Draft Pick

Post by bueller »

Rioli
Rama (but hopefully not)
Hennemen (was gone the moment he went down)
Reynolds (too many chances and little output)

The last two are not so easy.

I would have say Cartlidge - although he played OK the other night, he has not been in our plans all year and surely Sheedy has given him the courtesy to "play for his spot" - but i can't see how he is a required player with Laycock and Ryder as back ups.
The only way he'd stay is if they feel we need that extra back up ruckman but if so he'll be playing in the BB's for most of next year.
People forget that Ryder and Laycock have been injured and they are in the forefront of our plans.

Finally, i'd say Heffernan too. Can't see the use in recruiting him last year really and hasn't been too flash except for the first few games and isn't getting any younger. Pack your bags Heff.
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

The gimmes are Rama, Rioli, Henneman & Reynolds.

I'd delist Bolton, don't think he'd be any trade value. I'd also delist Heffernen, there was a reason every other club overlooked him in the PSD. Makes too many mistakes, and for a player his age 'so-so' is not good enough.

I'd probably try and trade Solomon, I just don't see how he fits into our long term plans. I think with Cole, Welsh and Lovett-Murray we have too many rebounding, only semi-defensive backs. I'd look to trade one.

So thats 6 retired/delisted, and two traded. On the others mentioned a bit here:

Cartledge: No way. Tap ruckmen take time, he might be a worthwhile trade next year, isn't now. Plus, with Laycock's injuries and Ryder's rawness we need another spare ruckmen. HOWEVER, with Ryder & Laycock, we don't want to waste a good pick on a ruck. So the question is whether Tristan is a better bet than a young ruck picked up with pick 52 or later. I'd definetely stick with Cartledge.

Cole is contracted for another year.

Winderlich, Nash & Slattery. Ok, these guys have had 4, 3 and 2 seasons respectively. A real problem with EFC has been keeping players around two long (think Reynolds, Bullen, McAlister), although players like Watson/Tuck certainly show you can stuff up moving too early. But I think these three need to have a CRITICAL review of where they are, and where they are going. Personally, I think we should delist Winda as I don't think he can step up to AFL.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Keep Bolts

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

I hope the clubs keeps Bolts for one more year, if anything we should tade Solly while he still has some value.