Agony & Ecstasy

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Agony & Ecstasy

Post by BenDoolan »

Another agonising decision was leaving out Ron Andrews from the 1983 Grand Final. He played during the mediocre 70's and didn't play in a winning final up until the '83 finals series. Got suspended in the 1st Semi Final and missed the Prelim.

Billy Duckworth got injured in that Prelim, so it stood to reason that you'd replace a tough defender with the toughest defender in the game. Instead, Sheeds selected Stephen Copping (a forward).

Not sure what his reasoning was, but it didn't make sense to me at the time. I know for a fact that by picking Ronnie Andrews for the GF, wouldn't have changed the smashing we copped. But I'd bet my life that Colin Robertson wouldn't have won the Norm Smith that day...
Essendunny
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

In 93, from when the team was announced to the game itself, I just assumed it would be a late change. I was devastated when he didn't line up.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

BenDoolan wrote:
Tory Dickson ignored by our club while playing for our VFL side, ends up playing in an AFL Grand Final this week. All the while we're searching for more forwards. Go figure.

Will there be some stiff players missing selection this week?
Sorry Benny, pretty sure we were planning on picking up both Dickson and Tommy Campbell given their form in our VFL side, however, that off season both Brendan McCartney and Shannon Grant (our VFL coach) moved to the Bulldogs who had their picks before us, and jumped in before us.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

BenDoolan wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:Long time ago now, but from memory he faded badly toward the end of the year?
Edit: according to Wikipedia (so who the f*** knows) kickett had 15 disposals total for the 3 finals before the GF.
Facts are;

Dean Wallis gets selected while not playing a single final prior to GF, and only playing 8 games that year.
Wallis earnt his Premiership medallion by taking Mil Hanna out in that Grand Final. Cannot remember a single other thing he did in that game, but that was enough.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

ealesy wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:Long time ago now, but from memory he faded badly toward the end of the year?
Edit: according to Wikipedia (so who the f*** knows) kickett had 15 disposals total for the 3 finals before the GF.
Facts are;

Dean Wallis gets selected while not playing a single final prior to GF, and only playing 8 games that year.
Wallis earnt his Premiership medallion by taking Mil Hanna out in that Grand Final. Cannot remember a single other thing he did in that game, but that was enough.
Yeah, people often refer to that as justification for his selection. I mean, they could have selected me and I would have taken Kernahan out of the game. It wouldn't justify my selection ahead of someone who's played the whole season, would it?
Essendunny
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

ealesy wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
Tory Dickson ignored by our club while playing for our VFL side, ends up playing in an AFL Grand Final this week. All the while we're searching for more forwards. Go figure.

Will there be some stiff players missing selection this week?
Sorry Benny, pretty sure we were planning on picking up both Dickson and Tommy Campbell given their form in our VFL side, however, that off season both Brendan McCartney and Shannon Grant (our VFL coach) moved to the Bulldogs who had their picks before us, and jumped in before us.
Quite right. We had #59. Good pick up!
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

BenDoolan wrote:
ealesy wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
Facts are;

Yeah, people often refer to that as justification for his selection. I mean, they could have selected me and I would have taken Kernahan out of the game. It wouldn't justify my selection ahead of someone who's played the whole season, would it?
Still,Dean Wallis has walked away with 2 Premierships,Derek None.Unless you count Night Flags.

Derek has been quoted at Grand Final Time and outside of Premiership Re-unions often,until the past year or so,when someone decided to retire the broken record.Maybe Derek twigged about how Damn bitter he had become and decided to move on at last.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

grassy1 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
ealesy wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
Facts are;

Still,Dean Wallis has walked away with 2 Premierships,Derek None.Unless you count Night Flags.

Derek has been quoted at Grand Final Time and outside of Premiership Re-unions often,until the past year or so,when someone decided to retire the broken record.Maybe Derek twigged about how Damn bitter he had become and decided to move on at last.
Whether it was Mr Kickett, me or yourself in that situation, I reckon you'd have just cause to be absolutely pissed off with what happened in '93. In my book, it's the biggest c**** act a coach could ever pull. Dropping someone who he thought was good enough to play every single game of the season to just dump them for a love child in the biggest game in a footballer's career.

You can never get over that shit. Especially when it will always be brought up in dispatches over time. And the reason it always gets brought up is because it simply was a c**** act.
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Dropping him was one thing.

Refresh my memory.Sheedy didn't tell him about it right?

Kickett'Kickett found out through other means?!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

grassy1 wrote:Dropping him was one thing.

Refresh my memory.Sheedy didn't tell him about it right?

Kickett'Kickett found out through other means?!
Ah, that's a different story. He did find out through different means. But Sheedy WAS trying to contact him to tell him directly. My mate worked with Kickett at the Monnee Ponds CES. My mate told me Sheedy was ringing the office to speak with Derek during the week but Kickett told my mate "tell him I'm not here" every time.
Essendunny
mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

ealesy wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
Facts are;

That's what he was there to do.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

BenDoolan wrote:
ealesy wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
Facts are;

More a tounge in cheek comment Ben.

Derek might have been good enough to be picked in every game that season, but his form was certainly on a downward spiral leading up to the Grand Final and gave the selection committee the ability to axe him.

I don't think it was necessarily the wrong decision to drop him, reckon the wrong decision was more who to replace him with.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

ealesy wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
ealesy wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
Facts are;

More a tounge in cheek comment Ben.

Derek might have been good enough to be picked in every game that season, but his form was certainly on a downward spiral leading up to the Grand Final and gave the selection committee the ability to axe him.

I don't think it was necessarily the wrong decision to drop him, reckon the wrong decision was more who to replace him with.
I guess what gets missed in the Kickett discussion is how stiff David Flood was to be dropped following his excellent efforts in the Prelim. Now that that would have been more acceptable if you just had Mark Harvey coming in for Kickett.
Essendunny
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Yeah Benny Kickett was getting dropped one way or the other according to my old man. He maintains Flood was robbed but Kickett was always gone for Harvs.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Just caught up with this thread.............

Yes indeed Kickett did provide a great many inspirational moments in the 93 season and like all who miss out on a G.F. berth - was stiff.

However, my mail from an excellent source at the time was that in the lead up to the P.F. and G.F. Derek was doing more 'celebrating' than 'training' and was counselled on more than occasion about the bad example he was setting for a very young and inexperienced team. His refusal to take Sheedy's call (which was well documented at the time) is testament to the fact that he knew what was coming.........

We won - winners are grinners!

Derek's attitude and commitment to the club from that time forward says more about him than Sheedy.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

hop wrote:Just caught up with this thread.............

Yes indeed Kickett did provide a great many inspirational moments in the 93 season and like all who miss out on a G.F. berth - was stiff.

However, my mail from an excellent source at the time was that in the lead up to the P.F. and G.F. Derek was doing more 'celebrating' than 'training' and was counselled on more than occasion about the bad example he was setting for a very young and inexperienced team. His refusal to take Sheedy's call (which was well documented at the time) is testament to the fact that he knew what was coming.........

We won - winners are grinners!

Derek's attitude and commitment to the club from that time forward says more about him than Sheedy.
Bomber Thompson approached the match Committee and told them he and players wanted Derek to play. Makes no difference now, but that was a fact.
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

True.but we Won the Flag with the 20 that were picked.

Maybe Dean Wallis should reflect on how lucky he may have been and if it's not too late,retract his claims.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Patrick Dangerfield may just suffer the "Nathan Buckleys" in regards to leaving a club that ends up achieving the ultimate success.
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Same thought crossed my mind Ben,when the Camera panned across his Glum face.

Still,it was the family that got him back home,........wasn't it?
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

hop wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:41 pm

Lkely the moment his fate was sealed...if you want Sheedy to do something, ask for the exact opposite.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.