Womens Footy

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Womens Footy

Post by Ronny Rotten »

I watched with interest parts of most games on the weekend. The defensive skills were impressive but disposal skills & decision making was mostly park football standard. However its early days & these skills will improve in time & experience.

Ross Lyon & Paul Roos must be over the moon & must have had a hand in the coaching, watching a mostly scoreless slug fest. They would be most impressed that only 28 goals were kicked in 4 games & each losing team kicked only 1 goal each. This is heaven for Lyon & Roos.

Watched a lot of the scum & filth game, honestly most the "scum mens team" wouldn't get a game with the girls, these girls go in too hard, especially for the likes of murphy, a receiver at the best of times. He would have to get his own ball with the girls becoming "captain kickless".

Do the Bombers want a women's team? Maybe in time. I think our priorities at the moment would be getting the men's team back up where we belong, playing consistently in the finals after the previous turbulent years. This must be our focus for now.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Re: Womens Footy

Post by Megan »

My understanding is we were going to apply for a license for this year but then the whole drug saga thing went down and we decided to hold off temporarily until the side had settled down.

I'm loving AFLW as a concept and yeah it isn't perfect as yet but it'll settle as the pool of skilled and interested women grows. I caught the two televised games (pies v blues and doggies v freo) and noted that the tackling was a lot harder in the first game, but the second game had more sting in it and the women were kicking the footy further (tho that may have been wind assistance? The womens footy is lighter than the blokes so I assume wind will come into play a bit more).

I can't wait for Essendon to get a team, Longy's daughter (Michaela?) has already said she is waiting for us and Moana Hopes old man was a staunch Bomber so I reckon we'd be a chance to get her.

I'm rapt the games got a good turn out and I hope they continue to do so, and it wasn't just the novelty factor.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Gotta head down South,Perth way and support the Perth Angels in the WWAFL.

The Angels are now the Affiliated Women's Team of the Perth Demons.Interesting partnership,Angels and Demons. O:) :twisted:

One Criticism I have of that Competition,is that the Fixtures and Results last year,were still showing the previous year's Fixtures.That's something I intend to raise with the Competition's Football Operations Manager,so the Fixtures Are Updated.

For the 2017 Season. :roll: Saves me bugging our Ground Manager to see if there's a game on Sunday. #-o

The Trick is,our Angels could find themselves playing at Gosnells Oval,or various Venues South of the River,until the Lathlain Park Redeveloment is Finally Completed in June,as opposed to April.

Caaarrrrrnn the Angels!!!!!! O:)
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

That might be women's footy, but wtf does it have to do with AFLW? About as much as Perth Demons does with AFL discussion me thinks :P :wink:
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Do we have an Essendon side entertaining us yet in the National Competition??

So our interest in this competition is somewhat muted for the time being,don't you think?

Unless you are getting behind Carlton and Collingwood?! :twisted:

You're not tempted to follow the local Women's Competition in Sydney are you?
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

grassy1 wrote:Do we have an Essendon side entertaining us yet in the National Competition??

So our interest in this competition is somewhat muted for the time being,don't you think?

Unless you are getting behind Carlton and Collingwood?! :twisted:

You're not tempted to follow the local Women's Competition in Sydney are you?
No
Yes
God No
GWS (given I live in western Sydney) but they are in the aflw comp :P
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Crazyman wrote:That might be women's footy, but wtf does it have to do with AFLW? About as much as Perth Demons does with AFL discussion me thinks :P :wink:
:lol:
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

I really have no interest without a team to follow. I'll watch some at some point.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

j-mac31 wrote:I really have no interest without a team to follow. I'll watch some at some point.
I watched the first game and a bit of the others but I can already tell that my interest will fade pretty quickly without an Essendon team there.
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

When we have our own women's team I will follow and barrack with interest. Until then, very little interest.

I think we need to get out of debt and get our men's team settled before thinking of taking on and tackling more. It will happen eventually.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Well I watched as an unbiased supporter of the league but not of a team and I really enjoyed it. Can't wait for Essendon to get on board, and there was rumblings about Tassie maybe fronting a side which I think we be great. Cause if nothing else it'll give you mob up in the mainland something to make jokes about :P
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Went to a few games as they were around the corner and went to the GF. We must get into this ASAP!

Tassie should definitely get a team and I think it would be a great opportunity to bring back a fair dinkum state of origin.