Why would you want to Aka?

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
Filthy

Why would you want to Aka?

Post by Filthy »

Go to a perennial basket case like these losers who haven't anything since, what 1954?

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 22,00.html
beer-man
Club Captain

Post by beer-man »

They would not only be looking to get a good player, but also a large amount of media exposure for their sponsers.

I don't know how they can afford 450k when they had to get someone to donate a rookie player last year...... :roll:
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Two comments:
(a) maybe Aka is interested in the Bulldogs, since they have some chance of making a Grand Final in the next couple of years, whereas we probably don't.
(b) Rick Olarenshaw is Aka's manager. Given his experience with the Bombers, does that make it more likely or less likely that he would talk Aka into coming to Windy Hill?
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

beer-man wrote:They would not only be looking to get a good player, but also a large amount of media exposure for their sponsers.

I don't know how they can afford 450k when they had to get someone to donate a rookie player last year...... :roll:
with Jade Rawlings retiring they have an extra $200K right there and there is speculation that Rohan Smith will retire.....and with aker onbaord you'd get extra sponsorship to cover an extra

Filthy.....face it with the 3 years or so Aker has left...which looks the BETTER option currently
Filthy

Post by Filthy »

billyduckworth wrote:Two comments:
(a) maybe Aka is interested in the Bulldogs, since they have some chance of making a Grand Final in the next couple of years, whereas we probably don't.
(b) Rick Olarenshaw is Aka's manager. Given his experience with the Bombers, does that make it more likely or less likely that he would talk Aka into coming to Windy Hill?
Cocerning a) Billy...wanna bet?

b) Ricky O has a duty of care as his manager to do the right thing by his client. In any event what does Olarenshaw have against Essendon? As a 19 yo WE gave him the opportunity to play in a Premiership.

In any event Aka, when considering the options, take a stroll through Essendon's Hall of Fame which will take you all day and then a stroll through the Bulldogs instead of a millionaires mansion. It would take you one minute. The atmosphere and CULTURE of Essendon is the pace for people REQUIRING success not hoping for it.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

(a) did you notice I only said they have SOME chance of making a Grand Final - didn't even mention premierships or anything like that. Overall, you're spot on that we have a culture of success and they don't.
(b) I just wondred whether Ricky O might still have a soft spot for Essendon and therefore help talk Aka into choosing us?
Filthy

Post by Filthy »

dodgey wrote:
beer-man wrote:They would not only be looking to get a good player, but also a large amount of media exposure for their sponsers.

with Jade Rawlings retiring they have an extra $200K right there and there is speculation that Rohan Smith will retire.....and with aker onbaord you'd get extra sponsorship to cover an extra

Filthy.....face it with the 3 years or so Aker has left...which looks the BETTER option currently
Dodge..we have spoken off line about our chances. I reckon with:

a) Luck with injury's

b) Lloyd's attitude with the blokes as Captain. View no mad Monday and time trials at Princes Park instead.

c) The shake up administratively around the joint.

d) 3 picks in the Top 20 which we will give us at least 2 top kids and MAYBE Aka.

e) I don't believe we need a lot anyway, if all are fit & available.

The sleeping giant is awakening and the Footy journo's in the know, know it and I say look out.
Filthy

Post by Filthy »

[quote="billyduckworth"](a) did you notice I only said they have SOME chance of making a Grand Final - didn't even mention premierships or anything like that. Overall, you're spot on that we have a culture of success and they don't.
(b) I just wondred whether Ricky O might still have a soft spot for Essendon and therefore help talk Aka into choosing us?[/quote]

One would hope so Bill. :wink:
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

Filthy wrote:
dodgey wrote:

Dodge..we have spoken off line about our chances. I reckon with:

a) Luck with injury's

b) Lloyd's attitude with the blokes as Captain. View no mad Monday and time trials at Princes Park instead.

c) The shake up administratively around the joint.

d) 3 picks in the Top 20 which we will give us at least 2 top kids and MAYBE Aka.

e) I don't believe we need a lot anyway, if all are fit & available.

The sleeping giant is awakening and the Footy journo's in the know, know it and I say look out.
agree with you....BUT as an outsider looking at the chances of Both clubs in the next 3 years, if you were to ask 100 people WHICH team has the better prospects....we wouldn't come out too well.

Even at the start of this year people that Sheedy spoke to had us around 10/11th. Take lloyd OUT and you see why we ended up so low. We had 2-3 years of bad draft selections (2001-2003) and are currently paying for that just Like Carlton and Brisbane
Filthy

Post by Filthy »

It was more than just Lloydy Dodge. There was a plethora of injury's just before the start of the season that cruelled us too to key personal. I think by the end of the year we had 13-14 "Out for Season"s.....did you see Sheeds parade all the injured guys (about 18-20) before the Ninthmond game out on the ground in their bag of fruits...I think he was making a point I believe.

Like I have said many times before and been accused of being a broken record, people who critcise this team are crticising something that hasn't existed because it has NEVER happened... since 2000 ie a fit and fully functioning team that has gelled together one week after another a la Sydney. Continuity of personal on the field equals eventual success.

The wheel MUST turn and with some luck and maybe 3-4 top players and shockers like you know out, look out. If we do have luck and are still shithouse, I will happily stick the boot in but I don't think I'll have to.
Pazza
Essendon Legend

Post by Pazza »

The question mark I would have with Akermanis being at Footscray is the over abundance of small to mid-sized forwards they already have!

Footscray would be looking for more talls surely (Mal Michael?)
BT's resident umpire
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Why are the Bulldogs looking towards next year already?

Musn't be too confident.
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

The bulldogs have had pretty bad injuries too, yet their in the eight and we're not.

Anyone saying we're better placed to play a GF within three years is dreaming. Personally, I hope we don't get Aka, it would be like Campo last year. You don't want older players coming in when you're going to be outside the eight and can't use them.

Aka would be crazy to pick us. He should look at Melbourne, Collingwood (espescially given Caracella's injury), Geelong and St Kilda. Those would be the teams I'd be targetting.
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

On the one had, with the Bulldogs making the finals and Essendon finishing 2nd last Aker might be thinking that he has a better chance of playing in another premiership within 3 years at the Bulldogs than at Essendon.

For my money though I reckon that Essendon with a bit of luck can bring home the silverwear in around 2009 which would be the 3rd year of the contract Aker is after. (He said he reckons he can play for 5 years so there is the chance of perhaps a back to back after that).

I reckon Essendon with a bit of luck and players such as Dyson, Winder, Watson further developing (and fixing the hole at CHB) they can finish either just outside the 8 or in the lower reaches of the 8 in 2007, mount a more serious challenge for the flag in 2008 and perhaps bring home the silverware in 2009.

By this time the guys I just mentioned will be getting to around the 100 game mark and hopefully Lloyd and Lucas will still be around.
Sol
Top Up Player

Post by Sol »

robrulz5 wrote:Why are the Bulldogs looking towards next year already?

Musn't be too confident.
Coach has been saying they are stuffed since about rd 5, so they havn't been confident all year, but they keep on winning.

He'd be a great pick up but surely they need to be looking at getting some talls, not more midfielders.

Have to agree with an earlier statement, I think it's more about marketing than the playing list, the fact he can play being a bonus.
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

robrulz5 wrote:Why are the Bulldogs looking towards next year already?

Musn't be too confident.
can't rest on your laurels...and besides, Rocket hasn't had much to do with the 'courting' at all.
Filthy

Post by Filthy »

antcl wrote:The bulldogs have had pretty bad injuries too, yet their in the eight and we're not.

Anyone saying we're better placed to play a GF within three years is dreaming. Personally, I hope we don't get Aka, it would be like Campo last year. You don't want older players coming in when you're going to be outside the eight and can't use them.

Aka would be crazy to pick us. He should look at Melbourne, Collingwood (espescially given Caracella's injury), Geelong and St Kilda. Those would be the teams I'd be targetting.
BULLSHIT!!! Why do people persist with this urban myth?

FACT:

They had 14 guys play EVERY f****** game this year including their 4 most important players....West, Grant, Smith, Johnson who have played 1200 games bwtween them. We had 3...just 3 to play the whole 22 rounds.

If we had have had similar "luck" we would have won a heap more games....no worries.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

me and my boss were talking about it today and brisbane came out and said they would trade aker for pick 18, guess what we have pick 18 and the doggies would be stupid to trade their first round pick so we win there.

we can offer pick 20 and either solomon or welsh which i think is the most likely

who does the bulldogs have to trade that brisbane would be after? would need someone pretty servicable to go along with their pick 26 to rival our pick 20 and either of the 2 mentioned above

personally i think aker is essential for us next year and sheedy should bite the bullet to get him here
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

Filthy wrote:BULLSHIT!!! Why do people persist with this urban myth?

FACT:

They had 14 guys play EVERY f****** game this year including their 4 most important players....West, Grant, Smith, Johnson who have played 1200 games bwtween them. We had 3...just 3 to play the whole 22 rounds.

If we had have had similar "luck" we would have won a heap more games....no worries.
They were missing key players though. Their captain, CHF, CHB. And the players they did lose they lost for a long time. A good deal of our list would have only missed a few games (and those partly due to form, NOT injury).
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

I'll be interested to hear what Aker has to say - at the end of the day he's said some favourable things about us thus far, but all they have about the doggies is soundbites from the DOGGIES.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.