No.1 or No.2? Gibbs or Hansen?

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

No.1 or No.2? Gibbs or Hansen?

Post by rama_fan »

These are going to be the main questions come draft time.

I really could not care if we end up either.

With Gibbs you get the gun midfielder in the draft who has all the credentials and will have the immediate impact ala Deledio, Murphy.

With Hansen you get the best KPP in the draft and the CHB that we are crying out for. His impact may not be immediate however he hopefully will turn into one of the best CHB's in the league and a man you can build a whole defence around, similiar to what West Coast did with Jakovich.

Each day I change my mind as to who I want for Essendon, so in the end I'm not really concerned.

For what it's worth I think Carlton will take Hansen and we'll get Gibbs, however if it goes the other way I won't be too concerned.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

I'm the same - can't really decide which one I prefer. Will be happy with either. It would be fantastic (but not likely) if we could somehow get both a midfielder AND a KPP. Maybe KPP is more crucial, given Fletcher's age and the loss of form this year of Soloman, McPhee & MJ.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Guess it all depends on Carlton and who they decide to take. I would personally grab Gibbs first if he was available. If he is taken by Carlton, then Hansen no doubt.
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

Gumbleton anyone ???
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

What are his stats (height, weight etc)? Could he play CHB? If so, then we should DEFINITELY look at him.
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

Gumbleton is more of a forward, Hansen is more of a defender.

Although Gumbleton looks to have a better set of hands and more presence out there, I think we'd lean to Hansen because of his more defensive nature.

Hansen has the versatility of playing both ends of the ground, while Gumbleton really only has played Forward and Ruck.

Just my opinion.

I think Carlton will take Hansen ahead of Gumbleton and Gibbs because they need a CHB as much as we do, they already have Fev, Waite, Fisher and Kennedy up forward. And Murphy, Walker, Russell, Blackwell and Simpson on the ball.

So that leaves us Gumbleton or Gibbs.

The other smokey of course is Mitch Thorpe.
Pazza
Essendon Legend

Post by Pazza »

Hansen in a heart beat.

Get your spine right and everything else falls into place.
BT's resident umpire
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

We need a key defender over anything else. Our midfield is always on the improve and we have a potent forward line.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

If Carlton take Hansen then Essendon should take Gibbs in a heartbeat. How many 17yo kids kick 6 goals in the seniors at SANFL level? How many 17yo kids can go down back and shut Cupido down? If Gibbs is available and we don't take him, the members should torch the social club.
mrredfox
High Draft Pick

Post by mrredfox »

I think hansen as well. We need a good KPP and we have midfielders coming through. Dempsey, Jolley, Watson, Stanton, Lovett and a few others, they may not be Judds just yet but they will make up a formidable midfield. Having said that, if carlton take Hansen then we take Gibbs.

Keep in mind Gibbs is also a South Australian and has said he prefers to stay there so who ever picks him up could struggle to keep him in 2 years.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Also, we should keep a close eye on Darcy Daniher next year. Apparently looks pretty good, as a forward. If so, who knows, he may be a father son pickup.

Don't think we need a forward at the moment.
Ramanama
Regular Senior Player

Post by Ramanama »

nah i would prefer hanson, but carlton could stuff up there salary cap again! and we could have gibbs and hansen!!! woohoo :lol:
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

Hansen please adrian :D
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

I reckon Essendon should go for Hansen. They need for a key defender is critical unless theyre going to give someone like Lee more of a go. I reckon theres enough midfielders in Dyson, Stanton, Watson, Dempsey, Winder to make a formidable combination in years to come, with a bit of luck maybe next year.
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

I'm not sure who I would prefer. I think we're crying out for a 'champion' given Fletcher/Hird/Lloyd's ages. And I think Gibbs has the better credentials there.

But we're also crying out for KP defenders. And from what I hear, all the top class KP players are expected to go in the first round, whereas some really classy mids could be left at picks 18 & 20. So maybe tall (Hansen) first, then two midfielders might be the way to go.
karmabomber
Top Up Player

Post by karmabomber »

Go for Hansen! Gibbs is a "dead end"! He and his whole family are adamant that he will only play for Adelaide! We will be left sitting with Adelaide and negotiating a trade for 2 Adelaide (Melbourne-based) players!
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

karmabomber wrote:Go for Hansen! Gibbs is a "dead end"! He and his whole family are adamant that he will only play for Adelaide! We will be left sitting with Adelaide and negotiating a trade for 2 Adelaide (Melbourne-based) players!
That's rubbish. He has said he would prefer to stay in SA. He has never said that he would only play for Adelaide. You ask every kid if they would like to stay in there home state and the answer would be 100% yes.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

BERT wrote:
karmabomber wrote:Go for Hansen! Gibbs is a "dead end"! He and his whole family are adamant that he will only play for Adelaide! We will be left sitting with Adelaide and negotiating a trade for 2 Adelaide (Melbourne-based) players!
That's rubbish. He has said he would prefer to stay in SA. He has never said that he would only play for Adelaide. You ask every kid if they would like to stay in there home state and the answer would be 100% yes.
Besides, even if he does want to bugger off in a couple of years time, Adelaide are going to have trade topline players or high picks. Either way it's a win for us...
Sol
Top Up Player

Post by Sol »

Doctor Fish wrote:
BERT wrote:
Besides, even if he does want to bugger off in a couple of years time, Adelaide are going to have trade topline players or high picks. Either way it's a win for us...
Exactly!! Im a believer that regardless of what you need you take the best player you can get, and for mine Gibbs easily!!! If we are crying out for a CHB in 2 years and Gibbs is as good at AFL level as he has shown in SAFL, then we'd get a CHB plus a high draft pick for the kid if we had to trade him.

Besides I like the look of Lee and think he will be the goods down back soon. Soloman will play better when not playing too tall, Johnson will play better not plugging gaps in the midfield and forward line and McPhee will be better for an uninterupted preseason.
nmgilbert
On the Rookie List

Post by nmgilbert »

[quote]Exactly!! Im a believer that regardless of what you need you take the best player you can get,[/quote]

Absolute bullshit. If West Coast had the choice would they take another Ben Cousins or a Scott Lucas? We all know Cousin's is a better footballer but Lucas would make them a better side. You have to take whatever will make you a better side. It's no good having a team full of Ben Cousins' if you want to win a flag. A premiership team needs the right balance of bigs and smalls.

The question that needs to be asked is, [u]in our next tilt for a premiership, what areas of our side need to be strengthened most?[/u] If they decide that in 3 years a Monfries, Stanton and Watson midfield won't be strong enough then go for Gibbs. But if our defence is going to let the Jonathon Browns and the Barry Halls kick 8 goals a week, maybe we need to go for a key defender.