Aker Meets With Sheeds

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.

Would you like aker in the Red & Black in 2007?

Yes
87%
No
13%

Total votes: 38

boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Rossoneri wrote:
Boyler_Room wrote:Just curious. He's got some serious talent, but with people crying out for youth and to stop the "band-aid" trades and drafts, how does picking up Akermanis fit in with that philosophy? If people are so convinced that we don't have a chance at being competitive (ie genuine flag contender) for at least a few years then it seems like we're just repeating the same methodologies to me.

I agree he'd be handy to pick up for the kids to learn from and would be useful on the park too, but I can't help but put him in the same category as picks like Allan, Murphy and Camporeale. All useful, but short term fixes for a long term problem... and I have a feeling that they didn't/haven't delivered in the "teaching" stakes either.
Those blokes werent three time premiership players, quick and won a brownlow.

Agree with what your saying, but Aker is Aker.
That just sums it all up, brilliance is brilliance. Personaly I cant wait for the mouth.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

I honestly cannot understand why we would NOT want him. He is a knob, but a top class footballer.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

I just cast my vote; 'twas a 'no'. I've been a bit in-between since the entire Aka saga arose.

At first i was an angry 'no', thinking to myself 'no more old farts, this team is shit now because of similar thinking in years gone by, we aren't winning a flag for at least 3 years, what good is Aka going to do?'. Then, when it occurred to me that we might get him for virtually nothing in the way of draft picks, other than a PSD pick, i swung back towards thinking he would be good to get to the club.....

And, in the last few weeks, i've swung back towards a 'no', for a few reasons. Firstly, he still has a year on the Brisbane contract left, and they probably won't release him for 'free', hence we probably won't be getting him for a PSD pick as i (and others) originally thought. Reports in today's Age say Brisbane are likely to demand at least a late 1st round pick, or an early 2nd round pick; as it stands, we currently have 3 picks inside the top 20 in the best draft ever, and i don't want to trade one of those away for what i consider a band-aid solution.

Secondly, aside from whatever we may have to give up to get him, he's also going to be very expensive salary-cap wise; Olarenshaw (his manager) reckons he's holding out for $400k per year. Admittedly, all player managers play games of ducks and drakes and he may not end up getting $400k p.a., but that sort of salary scares me - we could get 2 very decent players for that sort of money. Besides, the club has been under salary cap pressures for the last 5 or 6 years, and it's only now that (due mainly to the poor performance of our middle level players) that we can finally squeeze some of those players down and free up some room in the cap for a few years down the track. Aka costing that much will substantially eat into the mini war-chest we're working hard to create for future years, and frankly i'd rather have room in the salary cap NOW whilst we're a crap team, rather than have a tight salary cap and risk losing developing players in future years due to today's shortsightedness.

On another note, i also read (in the same Age article) that Aka has spoken to Melbourne, and if i was a Demons supporter i'd be bursting out of my skin to get him to the club. IMO, the Demons are the team who would have perhaps the most use for Aka out of any club in the league; they've got a young group of stocky, solid midfielders in Sylvia, McLean and Bate, and a decent group of middle-age midfielders such as Johnson, Pickett, Bruce and McDonald. One thing Melbourne lacks amongst that group is speed, more than anything, and Aka has that in spades. This is on top of the fact that Melbourne are probably in their 'window of opportunity' over the next 2-3 years to win a flag (granted they still need a couple things to win a flag, but they aren't far off IMO), and someone like Aka would be a boon to that club's chances over that timeframe.

PS: i like the new forum. Well done to Gossy and gatsid, and anyone else who set it up :D.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

jimmyc1985 wrote: On another note, i also read (in the same Age article) that Aka has spoken to Melbourne, and if i was a Demons supporter i'd be bursting out of my skin to get him to the club. IMO, the Demons are the team who would have perhaps the most use for Aka out of any club in the league; they've got a young group of stocky, solid midfielders in Sylvia, McLean and Bate, and a decent group of middle-age midfielders such as Johnson, Pickett, Bruce and McDonald. One thing Melbourne lacks amongst that group is speed, more than anything, and Aka has that in spades. This is on top of the fact that Melbourne are probably in their 'window of opportunity' over the next 2-3 years to win a flag (granted they still need a couple things to win a flag, but they aren't far off IMO), and someone like Aka would be a boon to that club's chances over that timeframe.
fair enough that might be accurate but who cares about the demons??? lol not me

jimmy hird had decided to play on for another year and he believes we have a team to make things happen, and acker will make those chances better so i say grab him if possible
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Word is (in the H/S this morning) that the Lions are looking at a pick between 12 and 20 for him.

So the real question would be - are you prepared to give up our second pick or priority pick for him?

Im keen to get him to Essendon, don't get me wrong, but that truly is a tough call. My guy feeling is that Essendon will probably send pick 20 to the Lions. Im not sure how i feel about that scenario as yet.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Melbourne would be the perfect fit - they are close to a Premiership and could use another classy player.

I think Essendon are more than 3 years from even a Grand Final, so he won't be that useful. Unless of course Campo goes, then I'd very much welcome Aker.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Not many other clubs will give him the freedown with the media that he wants.
marlo
Top Up Player

Post by marlo »

:D
Of course we must have AKA.
People seen to forget that he isn't a clown when the game is in progress. AKA takes his committment to the team very serious, hence a Brownlow.
Anyway I like a bit of the handstand thing after the match; he's lucky that he can do it, many can't. :wink:
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Staggy wrote:Word is (in the H/S this morning) that the Lions are looking at a pick between 12 and 20 for him.

So the real question would be - are you prepared to give up our second pick or priority pick for him?

Im keen to get him to Essendon, don't get me wrong, but that truly is a tough call. My guy feeling is that Essendon will probably send pick 20 to the Lions. Im not sure how i feel about that scenario as yet.
No. Bad move.
Aker for Solly.
Aker for pick outside our first 3.
Ramanama
Regular Senior Player

Post by Ramanama »

dont worry boyz, aka will be in the red and black next year im 100% sure of it :lol:
marlo
Top Up Player

Post by marlo »

Ramanama wrote:dont worry boyz, aka will be in the red and black next year im 100% sure of it :lol:
Look at the asset AKA would be to Essendon.
Once he makes a run with the ball, most opponants step aside.
AKA is one of the most skilful players during this period of time, and I hope his shoulder op. is successful.

Lets face it, Essendon don't have a player with his talent, they are mostly learning the game. (Cadets) Nobody can argue with me on this because of the position that they finished on the ladder. :roll: