Sheeds: 7 or 8 to go.

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
Filthy

Sheeds: 7 or 8 to go.

Post by Filthy »

In the Age, apparently Sheedy said last night at the B&F another 7 or 8 will go this year after last years 10. Wonder who they are?

Personally I thought that maybe 5 tops but 8??? :roll:
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

If he says '7 or 8' then he probably means 7. Or he could just be talking shit.

Lets see what we can come up with regardless:

Bolton
Henneman
Cartledge
Reynolds
Rioli (retired)
Ramanauskas (temporarily retired)
?
?
Blidge
On the Rookie List

Post by Blidge »

add in Laycock, the word is he wants out
3 : 17.34 {rFP} - Tries to use Blidge - eventually does.
3 : 17.36 {rFP} - He has a shot from nowhere.
3 : 17.4 {rFP} - Goooooooooooaaaaaaaaallll.

4 : 12.31 {rFP} - With the ball is Blidge.
4 : 12.36 {rFP} - Blidge has a shot from nowhere.
4 : 12.39 {rFP} - Fantastic goal from Blidge.
Bombers4Premiers
Regular Senior Player

Post by Bombers4Premiers »

Far out. That's a pretty big clean-out. I have no idea who else could be added to Staggy's list above. :?
Filthy

Post by Filthy »

Blidge wrote:add in Laycock, the word is he wants out
That actually shits me if he does. He has been bloody injured for 2 years. His medical bills must have been costing the Clun squillions. We have given him the opportunity....he has shown glimpses....has great potential....yet, if true, wants to piss off! Come on! :evil:
Dizzy_69
Regular Senior Player

Post by Dizzy_69 »

7 or 8 :shock:
uptick
High Draft Pick
Location: Under cover, deep in the heart of Carlscum territory

Post by uptick »

If Laycock wants out, don't we want Cartlege in ???
If we are not supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat ?.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Yes we want Cartledge to stay... and we bloody well want Laycock to stay as well.

Will we see guys like Camporeale hang about after this year? Just curious on people's thoughts
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

What about if Solomon, Bolton etc are traded - that would give us one or two more spots.
Filthy

Post by Filthy »

People have got to realise that 23 of our guys are 22 or younger. 25 if you count the Lovetts who came on "late".

Hird, Campo, Fletch are our only guys in their 30's (?).

So we have a mid range of guys...like Bolton!!...in between those 2 categorys of about 10 plus rookies. Can we afford to offload all or a major part of that group? If we do we can't just recruit 17 yo's otherwise we will finish near the bottom AGAIN and the window that is just a little bit open whilst Hirdy, Lloyd, Lucas, Smokey, Spike and co remain with the young guns who now have 30-40 games under their belt will smash shut.

Hence I believe Sheeds will move heavan & earth to get Aka or at least some experienced strong bodys in there as well as some young guns to support the older group, teach the kids and perhaps bring back some success....injuries allowing.

The shite recruiting in 2000-2001 is biting us on the arse big time. There is not one (or very few) of that class still at the club. That means potentially 4-8 guys who could be in the 50-100 game range. We didn't get them then. We have to get some of them now. End of story.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Well said Filthy. The issue for us is going to be that we need to cut that group of players from our list... if we trade them and pick up guys in their place that are of the same age with games under their belt we'll boost the quality of the list but we'll also have no room to pick up many in the drafts, especially if we start elevating rookies.

I agree we need to boost that 50-100 game player section of the list, but I don't see us dropping enough players, unless there's some real shocks coming, that will allow us to do both that and pick up draftees and elevate deserving rookies.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
mrredfox
High Draft Pick

Post by mrredfox »

add guys like Heff, Pev and Soly and suddenly 7 or 8 seems an under estimate
beer-man
Club Captain

Post by beer-man »

Why do people keep adding Heff. He is a contracted player.....He will not go.
mrredfox
High Draft Pick

Post by mrredfox »

beer-man wrote:Why do people keep adding Heff. He is a contracted player.....He will not go.
Our mid field wont be able to carry Campo and Heff next year. Dont get me wrong, i think Heff did ok this year. I thought he was only on a 1 yr deal to begin with?
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

This from Foxsports:

Bombers start making changes

September 14, 2006 WIDESPREAD change is underway at second-bottom AFL club Essendon, with a new chairman and another mass player exodus to come.

Current chairman Neil McKissock announced at last night's club best and fairest count that he would step down from the role, with vice-chairman Ray Horsburgh the early tip to take over.

The Bombers will decide their new chairman in December, while McKissock has one more year of his current term on the board to serve.

Next year will be critical for Essendon, which has just suffered through its worst season since 1933.

Coach Kevin Sheedy, who will come out of contract late next year, said last night the Bombers would turn over at least half a dozen players.

Last year, 10 players left the Essendon list.

McKissock last night presented the Crichton Medal as Essendon's best and fairest player to key forward Scott Lucas, who previously shared the award with James Hird in 2003.

Lucas polled 239 votes to finish ahead of midfield player Jobe Watson (221) and veteran defender Dustin Fletcher (208).

Watson also won the most improved player award.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

mrredfox wrote:
beer-man wrote:Why do people keep adding Heff. He is a contracted player.....He will not go.
Our mid field wont be able to carry Campo and Heff next year. Dont get me wrong, i think Heff did ok this year. I thought he was only on a 1 yr deal to begin with?
I thought Heff had 2 years. If he only had 1 then he could be in trouble if theyre looking to cut 7 or 8 players.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Everyone was baying for blood and now you're all aghast at the idea of losing 7 players?

Fickle.

Will be interesting to see if they follow through.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
Bombers4Premiers
Regular Senior Player

Post by Bombers4Premiers »

I don't remember baying for anything. I'll have to search back through my posts. :P
Brumaz
High Draft Pick

Post by Brumaz »

nothing but talk at the moment. lets wait and see . IMO 4 mabey 5 will be gone
A Smith and Wesson beat 4 aces
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Heffernan I believe signed a two year deal.

The seven or eight to go?

1. Reynolds (delisted)
2. Henneman (delisted)
3. Cartledge (delisted)
4. Bolton (delisted or traded)
5. Rioli (retired)
6. Ramanaukas (unwell)
7. Solomon (traded - another club will give him two years)
8. Welsh (trade bait- good result in the B&F may just up the stakes on him)
9. Peverill (big ???)
10. Nash (what will become of him?)
11. Lee (has he done enough????)
12. Laycock (a trade - will he still have the shits?)
13. J Johnson (trade - will another club offer him two years?)

I think 7 or 8 may be quite easy in the end to cop the grim reaper. We'll just have to wait and see.