Who do we want?

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
Filthy

Who do we want?

Post by Filthy »

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/real ... 36482.html

Keating? Gardiner? Pollack? Aka? Some of the names bandied around.

We have spoken to Aka and Gardiner and I am sure Sheeds is not in Perth for a suntan or a Margaret River red so he may have had a word to Pollack too, a number 5 draft pick CHB??!!

Would you have any of them, or who?
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Don't know why we're chasing any of them Filth. Sheeds was on the news last night talking to Gardiner. Can't see what he'd bring to the club at all. Heard he broke down again last weekend. Don't reckon his knees are up to playing in the ruck anymore...

And as for Polak, you'd think Sheeds would have learned from the Ty Zantuck fiasco eh? :roll:
Bombers4Premiers
Regular Senior Player

Post by Bombers4Premiers »

I don't know about "wanting" any of them; but who do we actually need?
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Wouldn't mind Polak. Get him out of WA, and maybe he may become a good player. He is a decent player, who possibly needs a change of scenery. Also still faily young. I'd consider him before the rest.
Daniel.
topdon
Club Captain

Post by topdon »

We'll go after Polak ... surely!?!?!

He is yet to prove himself, but he IS a tall defender. Exactly what we need.

As long as we don't trade over the odds, Polak would be a excellent recruit.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

keating now way, gardiner maybe see how his medical examination holds up
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Dizzy_69
Regular Senior Player

Post by Dizzy_69 »

Freo told Rodney Eade they don't want to get rid of Polak
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Doctor Fish wrote:Don't know why we're chasing any of them Filth. Sheeds was on the news last night talking to Gardiner. Can't see what he'd bring to the club at all. Heard he broke down again last weekend. Don't reckon his knees are up to playing in the ruck anymore...

And as for Polak, you'd think Sheeds would have learned from the Ty Zantuck fiasco eh? :roll:
Yep. Gardiner's body is shot for AFL rucking duties, and that's ignoring his off-field 'issues'. Hell, even before he went off the rails at West Coast, he was being used more as a forward than as a ruckman in 2004 and 2005 because he just wasn't physically capable of carrying ruck duties. And i don't care if he's dominating as a ruckman in the WAFL, because comparing WAFL to AFL is like comparing shit and clay.

Keating's body is equally as stuffed, but if we had a choice between him and Gardiner on a cheap one year contract to bide our time whilst Ryder develops, especially if Laycock departs in the interim, i'd take Keating on the fact he at least (to our knowledge) has a clean off-field record. After cleaning out so much rubbish last year, taking another potential troublemaker like Gardiner doesn't make too much sense.

As others have already said, Freo have come out and said they're keen to hang on to Polak. That may not be the case though, because they've developed that Michael Johnson kid who looks like a decent chance of turning into a good key position defender. Everyone knows of Polak's off-field problems, so Freo wouldn't possibly be able to command much for him in a trade situation. Maybe worth looking at if we can get him on the cheap.

Also note that Polak is originally from WA so to get him to come over to us in Victoria wouldn't be easy.
groover pants gus
On the Rookie List

Post by groover pants gus »

How old is Polak?
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

Wouldnt want any of them. Give Cartledge game time in the ruck (more than 15 mins) and if hes crap after next year Ryder will have developed and they will be able to let him go.

For CHB play Lee or get Hansen or someone fresh. How is Lucy travelling?
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Polak might be worth a punt, but don't forget the *alleged* allegations against him. Surely given he *allegedly* has a couple of crosses against his name already, he might not be worth the risk.
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

Don't want any of the rucks. We've got four, even if Laycock goes I'd prefer to use Hille and Cartledge than some long shot for one year.

I'd be interested in Aka and Polak, but only if we could get them really really cheap. Which I don't think will happen.
sash
On the Rookie List

Post by sash »

Wouldnt mind either Polak or Aker if we can get them cheap maybe 2nd round pick and fringe player. Or something of the type. Polak could work but then again could fail like Zantuck and the rest of the failed recuits, but worth a try one of em has to work some time soon.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Polak may be alright but i agree that he may not want to leave his home of WA. Are there any youngish (20-25) midfielders out of contract at the moment??
bueller
High Draft Pick

Post by bueller »

topdon wrote:We'll go after Polak ... surely!?!?!

He is yet to prove himself, but he IS a tall defender. Exactly what we need.

As long as we don't trade over the odds, Polak would be a excellent recruit.
Who says Polak is available? The last i knew he was not far from running out against Adelaide in the first final - and wouldv'e if they were allowed to replace Hasleby at the last minute.
Your'e talking like he's been sacked - but the reality is he's still a required player at Fremantle.
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

Yes to Aker and Polak if we can get 'em (and it doesn't cost too much)
A great big fat NO to Gardiner and Keating.
R.I.P. Seattle SuperSonics 1967/68 - 2007/08
Marillion
Top Up Player

Post by Marillion »

GET Daniel Bradshaw,there is a chance he might want to move back to Victoria.His manager said it would be better to move now than the end of his career.At only 27,he had his best season in 2006,he is a great forward player and can go down back when required,Would be a handy pick up...... :evil:
mrredfox
High Draft Pick

Post by mrredfox »

Marillion wrote:GET Daniel Bradshaw,there is a chance he might want to move back to Victoria.His manager said it would be better to move now than the end of his career.At only 27,he had his best season in 2006,he is a great forward player and can go down back when required,Would be a handy pick up...... :evil:
Bradshaw plays FF or FB and we do not need either. I agree he has done well but we simply do not need him.
Sol
Top Up Player

Post by Sol »

Let's not forget Everitt, who is so good a ruckman he made the Hawks midfield look good at times.

Id be happy to take Everitt in the PSD if he is available. Gives Ryder 2 more years of development without having to get thrown to the wolves in the case of yet another injury to Laycock or suspension to Hill.

We certainly have enough young rucks stocks, so it would allow us to concentrate on other posotions such as midfielders and defenders in the draft.

Guarantee, if we took him, clearances would improve more than 10% and with our forward line of Lloyd, Lucus, Hird Johns we'd be hard to stop on a fast centre clearance.
DazMan32
Top Up Player

Post by DazMan32 »

Spider and hille would be a damn good ruck combo!!!

Gotta get him cheaply though.