Our DRAFT Choices.

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
2QIK4U
On the Rookie List

Post by 2QIK4U »

Hawthorn picked up Dew - WTF
"..computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. "

Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

Hawks were always going to take Dew.

They'll just have to make him lose about 20kg!!
doogle
Regular Senior Player

Post by doogle »

Johnno to Freo
2QIK4U
On the Rookie List

Post by 2QIK4U »

Cale Hooker

ORIGINAL CLUB EAST FREMANTLE
DOB 13/10/1988
HEIGHT 195.8 CM
WEIGHT 84 KG

Tall forward who is good in a contested situation, with a strong pair of hands. Quick and agile for his size (2.88sec for 20m and 7.94 sec for AFL Agility Run), along with good endurance. Had a consistent year at WAFL reserves level for East Fremantle.
"..computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. "

2QIK4U
On the Rookie List

Post by 2QIK4U »

G-Train back to St Kilda.....

sconsey
On the Rookie List

Post by sconsey »

Cale Hooker. A tall foward. Another one from WA. 3 draftees from the west this year.

Why did we select 3 tall players? 2 defenders and 1 forward. I thought there would have been a midfielder in the mix somewhere??? Bit surprised, but hope they all go well.
ZRS
Regular Senior Player

Post by ZRS »

spewing selwood went at 22

very surprised we did not go for any midfielders, as I think that is one of our major deficencies, a top notch game breaker midfielder, particularly considering we just lost two of our more skilful midfielders (Hird & Campo)
48.2 sismis to ZRS, SIX, ???!!! Its coming towards the commentary box Im leaving!!!
48.3 sismis to ZRS, FOUR, Who needs Bradman when weve got ZRS
48.4 sismis to ZRS, FOUR, Brillian cover drive by ZRS
48.6 sismis to ZRS, SIX, Display of Raw power and brutality by ZRS
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

sconsey wrote:Cale Hooker. A tall foward. Another one from WA. 3 draftees from the west this year.

Why did we select 3 tall players? 2 defenders and 1 forward. I thought there would have been a midfielder in the mix somewhere??? Bit surprised, but hope they all go well.
I was thinking we'd need another ruckman too... But what the hey...
ZRS
Regular Senior Player

Post by ZRS »

i reckon WC did alright out of all of this.
48.2 sismis to ZRS, SIX, ???!!! Its coming towards the commentary box Im leaving!!!
ZRS
Regular Senior Player

Post by ZRS »

Filthy wrote:Must be going to pick up a back up ruck in the PSD.

Banking guys for the backline for the future.

Guys.....gotta remember we drafted a heap of middies last year and the years before...guys like Dempsey who will come on next year.

Happy. :)
how many spots do we have left to fill?
just the one?

I think we should have taken KB with our last draft pick, just to shit freo for screwing us at trade time :twisted:
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Arrowsmith didn't go. Surprising.
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

We now officially have rebounding defenders coming out of our arses. Anyone would think we had a gun midfield like WCE (who still added more mids to their list), rather than one of the worst.

You can never have enough quality mids around the place.
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

We'll be the WA Bombers soon!

Bit disappointing to miss out on Selwood with our second pick, but looks like we've achieved what we aimed to do.

Hooker's agility and sprint times are simply amazing for his size.
ZRS
Regular Senior Player

Post by ZRS »

Filthy wrote:Just heard Matty K.

They...well he...was looking for tall rebounding, fast, flexible players. Apparently, Meyers can play mid, back, front so all good if it works.

CC....for mids we have potentially Pev, Spike, Welsh, Davey, Lovey, Bachor, Hislop, Dempsey, Hocking, Jetta, JJ, Lonergan, Natrat, Smokey (according to MK), Gus, Nash, Rama, Reimers, Hank, Stants, Watto and Licha!

Mal and Fletch will retire in the next 2-3 years with Lloyd and Lucas not far behind them. Most of those mids are young.....they're banking for the future.
Filth, I hope it works out that way, but personnaly I would like to see at least one absolutly gun mid fielder who can take a game by the balls so to speak, even with some good young kids coming up i dont see that player (i hope one of the boys mentioned above prove me very wrong this year)
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Filthy wrote:Just heard Matty K.

They...well he...was looking for tall rebounding, fast, flexible players. Apparently, Meyers can play mid, back, front so all good if it works.

CC....for mids we have potentially Pev, Spike, Welsh, Davey, Lovey, Bachor, Hislop, Dempsey, Hocking, Jetta, JJ, Lonergan, Natrat, Smokey (according to MK), Gus, Nash, Rama, Reimers, Hank, Stants, Watto and Licha!

Mal and Fletch will retire in the next 2-3 years with Lloyd and Lucas not far behind them. Most of those mids are young.....they're banking for the future.
Precisely. We have enough midfielders - they just need more opportunity and to develop with age.

People need to ask themselves: who were our three tall defenders this year? Answer: Fletcher, Michael and Ryder. Fletcher will retire by 2009 at the latest; Michael will retire at the end of this year; and Ryder was drafted as a ruckman and will hopefully develop accordingly. Even if we leave Ryder as a tall defender for the time being, that leaves 2 tall defender spots to be filled within the next 2 years. So whilst Myers, Pears and Daniher may all be similarly styled players, i don't think we've erred by drafting "too much of a good thing".

On a side note, us drafting 3 tall guys who will hopefully develop into defenders could also help solve our problem of only having 2 rucks. If all of Myers, Pears and Daniher can be groomed for tall spots in defence, Ryder can then be left to develop as a ruckman.

I'm happy with the way we've drafted.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

doogle wrote:joke? dolt?

You are the fool who can't recognise a joke.

I don't come on the forum to insult anyone or be insulted.
Ahh. I re-read your initial post a few times and now see what you meant. You were playing along with my joke and wanted me to look into my alleged crystal ball for our 4th and 5th picks. I thought in saying "good work - try 50 something", you were implying i was wrong and we were actually going to take Daniher with pick 55.

Apologies are in order then. Sorry about that.
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

Palmer vs Myers....we took Myers...time will tell... I would have gone for Palmer. But it is all guess work at this stage.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

rama_fan wrote:Tom Collier and Alex Rance went very late. We were one pick away from Scott Selwood, which I'm sure Boncer won't be happy about!!
Mother ****** of god. STINKING f****** EAGLE.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
sash
On the Rookie List

Post by sash »

Happy with Myers even though Palmer was my first choice.

Think perhaps they went with Myers as they thought Pears or any other talented Tall Defender wouldn't be available come pick 23 (which sure they wanted at least one more KPD other than Darcy). And didnt want Palmer & a mid with first 2 picks.

So then choose Myers at 6, when pick 23 come around the likes of Ward, Maric and Selwood were taken at 19, 21 and 22 respectively. Leaving Pears as the next best talent available especially looking at the next few selections. I would have been happy with either Ward, Maric or Selwood too if they had fallen.

What was a little surprising was Hooker (KPP) instead of going with a Ruckmen like Bellchambers.
Makaveli
High Draft Pick

Post by Makaveli »

Wasn't it always thought you dont draft defenders with high picks, the reason being most of the great backmen have been forwards turned to backs.
I can't beleive we didnt get Palmer, we have the worse midfield in the comp and the names listed (currently on our list) most of them are flankers and pockets people on here like to think could be midfielders. Palmer averaged 32 touches in the under 18s chamionship i think. FFS Dodoro's time is pretty much up.