First thoughts on our draft choices.

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

First thoughts on our draft choices.

Post by robbie67 »

Not happy at all. Tall defenders, and then when you are not sure, take another tall defender. We desperately need an outstanding mid-fielder, has the ones we have are either competent, incompetent, or only have the potential to be just above competent.

Another thing is that in most cases, tall defenders that make it at AFL level, were either ruckman or forwards at junior level, so why are these guys any different?

Looks like another DUDoro f*** up to me.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Oh, and one more thing, wtf is this obsession with West Australians? If one of these blokes turns out to be good, he will probably want to "go home"...........I also remember the last "tall" defender we drafted from WA......he got the second part right.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Who was that?

You needn't worry about that.Most PERTHIES end up staying for some time.

MYERSY mightn't fill the position you require of him,but he didn't do the Pickin' and choosin!

Give him a go.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Mate, i'm not having a go at the kids. That much should be obvious.

On your first question, will give you a clue, he shares a name with a former Australian, and South African opening batsmen.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

See how we go. Myers can apparently play midfield as well and judging by the nature of this article, that's apparently the role we have in mind for him:

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/news.asp?nid=5481

Both Myers and Pears are supposed to have excellent disposal, and as far as i'm concerned, that's half the battle. If you've got excellent footskills then you can shape your game to be accommodated to other positions, i.e. Jay Nash can play anywhere from a flank, wing, or in defence. Also note that Michael and Fletcher are on their last legs and we need defenders to replace them.

As for Dodoro, well, in my opinion this is probably the first time ever he's actually had unfettered control over who we draft. I've no doubt Sheedy pulled most of the strings in the past. So if in a few years it turns out Dodo has stuffed this draft then he'll be fair game, but he's still got a few years grace from me.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Robbie, I agree with you most of the time, but maybe you should view a few games that Myers played in. He can play in the middle, and will have the flexibility to play down back. If he can become anything like a Kouta or Cornes I will be VERY happy.

Once you see his disposal, you will be happy with the choice also.

I though we may have gone with Palmer, but I think with his height, Myers has the opportunity to become a very dangerous midfielder.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Disagree a little Rob

We have an abundance of mid-field players - its not that we need more, its whether they are any good

What we dont have is tall mobile defenders and whilst Bradley and Bolton were not much chop, thats 2 less in reserve should any thing happen to Michael and Fletcher
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

Agree Robbie, not ecstatic with not snagging a decent mid. I think people over rate our current mid's & I still have big question marks over blokes like Dempsey, Dyson, Pev (surprise, surprise), JJ & Winda, to name a few.

Maybe Palmer might turn out to be Tenace Mk2 & maybe Junior Boy might turn out to be another Tony Antrobus, but I highly doubt it.

I think MK was clear in his mind that he wouldn't be a Sheedy clone & get Cyril, but mark my words, this kid will be a better player than Jetta, Davey and Lovett. I reckon he's the best player to come from the NT since McLeod.

From what I hear about Palmer, he just runs & runs & racks up possessions - maybe a Stanton Mk2.

Everyone is saying Myers is another Pendlebury & if he is, then we have a winner; but he ain't no 18km a match run machine that gets the 30 possies & I think we need another one of them more badly, than another tall rebounding defender (how many Wellman/McPhee types can we squeeze into the team?).
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Post by hillchaser »

I'm with you Robbie.

I'm sure the draftees are good but hello .. how did any of that address our massive midlfield blackhole ?

Sure a few might be able to rotate through the middle .. possibly, maybe ..but even blind freddy can see we get hammered in the midlfield on a weekly basis for the last three years.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

I would have thought we would have got a mid player but I am really really pissed so who knows
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Fair enough peoples, I guess we shall just wait and see, and the stuff you have said and linked to me on Myers does make me feel a little better. Overall though, I dont care how many mid-fielders we have, we have to have some elite ones. Right now, we dont have any.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Here are some stats courtesy of BB. He can definitely find the ball.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

That's alright Robbie.Didn't think you were.

Are we going to BLOOD this boy for future Captaincy?I get your drift.

Good stats,eh Danstar?The boy can play.

Don't worry so much about the Free Kick Stats.I've said it before on here.The UMPS HATE RED and BLACK our way as well.MORESO if you ask me.DROVE Easty MAD!
On the Rookie List

Post by 84859300 »

Windy_Hill wrote:We have an abundance of mid-field players - its not that we need more, its whether they are any good
I agree Windy.

2008 will tell a tale on what they are worth with a bit more of a game plan under Knights. We can reasses from there.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Filthy wrote:This shits me this myth we don't have a midfield.

In a shit year...dysfunctional the moment Sheeds pulled the pin...we still managed to be equal first in clearances......disposal after getting it going our way killed us.

Imagine how much better will the midfield be....fitter (eg Jetta), physically stronger and more mature bodies, a years experience under the belt, fire in the belly with a new coach with new game plans and new innovations, more emphasis on skills training and with everyone knowing what their job is and what the consequences will be for non-compliance. (Ask JJ, Kep, Bolts, Heff and co)

to quote an oft used word....bullish. :lol:
Nothing wrong with the mid-field apart from the fact it lacks pace, ball winners and skills. The rest they do mostly ok.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Filthy wrote:
robbie67 wrote:
Filthy wrote:This shits me this myth we don't have a midfield.

In a shit year...dysfunctional the moment Sheeds pulled the pin...we still managed to be equal first in clearances......disposal after getting it going our way killed us.

Imagine how much better will the midfield be....fitter (eg Jetta), physically stronger and more mature bodies, a years experience under the belt, fire in the belly with a new coach with new game plans and new innovations, more emphasis on skills training and with everyone knowing what their job is and what the consequences will be for non-compliance. (Ask JJ, Kep, Bolts, Heff and co)

to quote an oft used word....bullish. :lol:
Nothing wrong with the mid-field apart from the fact it lacks pace, ball winners and skills. The rest they do mostly ok.
Robbie mate...

Ball winners....we were equal 1st in clearances in 2007!

Skills....lack of skill having got first use was the killer.

PS Pace....put Licha, Jetta, Dempsey in or around in and under Watson, Peverill and co and the aget will be moving at speed :wink:
And if Monfries finally shows his potential quality as a midfielder, then things are starting to look OK.

Our list has enough midfielder types who have "potential". Hislop, Houli, Dempsey, Jetta, Monfries, Winderlich and Watson. And we need guys like Stanton, Dyson and Lovett to be consistent.

Our deficiency is in defence. And that deficiency will be an achilles heel when Fletcher and Michael retire. I am happy that we chose to target that area in the draft. There is no point recruiting more "potential" midfielders unless they were labelled "guns". But this draft didn't have anyone with superstar credentials to warrant selection ahead of critical tall, defensive running types.
Essendunny