Why we went tall

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
nmgilbert
On the Rookie List

Why we went tall

Post by nmgilbert »

It seems like there's been a fair bit of disappointment flying around about drafting so many talls today and not taking a mid-fielder with our first pick. In my opinion they definitely did the right thing by recruiting the tall defenders. This is why:

1. Our defence is ageing.

Although this reason has been posted elsewhere - our defence has been very weak over the last few years and with Mal Michael and Fletch on their last legs, it will take a few years to groom some talls to take their spot.

2. We drafted Mids last year.

Last year we got Houli, Hislop, Reimers, Jetta and Davey. You will find that Hislop and Houli will make a much bigger impact this year playing through the middle as they are starting to develop the bodies needed for AFL football.

3. Talls take generally a year longer to develop than smalls.

This is the main reason we drafted how we did. Most small/midfielder types don't make a decent impact until there second year whereas a tall won't do much until his third season. Look at the difference between Gibbs/Selwood and Hansen/Gumbleton. The midfielders played most games for the season whereas the talls only a handfull.

If we had of selected small this year we would have a scenario where in two years time we have a midfield consisting of a lot of decent young guys beginning to hit their straps but two years away from a decent key position player.

By selecting tall this year we have the scenario where in 2 years we will be 1 year off a decent defence (whilst still having Fletch to hold the fort) and one year off a really good midfield (if we select mids in the 2008 draft).

So by selecting tall this year we have effectively brought our list development forward one year compared to the other option.

I think the Dons selected appropriately this year. Sure there is nothing too exciting there in the short term but in a couple of years these young, very fast talls will be ripping apart the AFL like the Essendon of old.
sash
On the Rookie List

Post by sash »

Couldn't agree anymore!! Well said
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Well thought out nmg

What you say makes sense to me.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Agree too.

Commentators and supporters alike seem to forget that we have a pretty exciting and raw batch of kids who could ignite our midfield.

I thought our recruiting was spot on.