Article in todays Age. Thomas and Hille trade.

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Article in todays Age. Thomas and Hille trade.

Post by bombercol »

Have a read, very interesting.

Ruck trade a Hille too far for Thomas
Caroline Wilson
September 19, 2006

THE St Kilda board was told in the weeks leading up to Grant Thomas' sacking that three years ago the coach rejected a deal that could have brought Essendon ruckman David Hille to Moorabbin.

Although Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy last night denied that Hille was ever placed on the trade table, Hille's manager Ricky Nixon claimed that the Essendon acting skipper could have gone to St Kilda at the end of 2003 as part of a deal involving then disenchanted Saint Austinn Jones.

Whether or not there is any truth in the claim, it appears to have been one of the final nails in Thomas' coaching coffin in the eyes of the board. The report also underlines the increasing lack of communication between St Kilda's football department and its board as Thomas' reign unfolded.

Thomas will not be paid for 2007 — the final year of his coaching contract — due to a termination clause. Upon his sacking last Tuesday, the board handed him an agreement that he signed agreeing not to undermine the club in any way, and not to undo any of the progress the Saints had made.

The agreement was said to involve Thomas' strong relationship with his players and included a significant financial sweetener should he stick to the deal. The former coach was questioned by the St Kilda board in the days that followed his sacking when they learned he had instigated, or been involved in, a meeting with senior players at the home of Saints patron Lindsay Fox.

Thomas told The Age last night that he couldn't remember in full detail what took place in the trade period at the end of 2003. However, he added: "We tried on more than one occasion to secure David Hille's services, along with those of other ruckmen we rated highly. We were unsuccessful. Feel free to verify that with (St Kilda recruiting manager) John Beveridge or (football manager) Mark Rendell."

Essendon's recruiting manager Adrian Dodoro said that St Kilda had made approaches regarding Hille in recent years but that the Bombers had never looked at trading him. Sheedy added: "David Hille was never placed on the trade table." Player manager Nixon, however, claimed that Hille could have gone to St Kilda.

Intriguingly, St Kilda president Rod Butterss confirmed to The Age he had been told that Hille, then 22, had been offered to the Saints, whose ongoing dearth of senior ruckmen became a major issue at the club, an issue which continued until Thomas' last game when he went into the elimination final against Melbourne with Justin Koschitzke and Michael Rix sharing ruck duties, having dropped three recognised ruckmen from the previous game.

The Saints board was also unimpressed by the club's failure to lure Troy Simmonds from Fremantle as part of the Heath Black trade two seasons ago. Thomas' team could not agree to terms with Simmonds and the Saints finished up with Aaron Fiora, while Richmond signed Simmonds to a controversial five-year deal.

Although Butterss and his administration have stressed to people outside the club that the rucking issue was one of many that contributed to Thomas' downfall — another was his poor relationship with the umpiring fraternity — the allegation regarding Hille appears to have proved one of the final straws.

Thomas told the club at the time that the Jones trade was set to involve Justin Blumfield. Intriguingly, the coach's view was supported last night by Dodoro.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Dont believe that for a second. Nixon is a tosser, he was probably drunk when he was asked that question.

If anything the saints would have said "we want David Hille".

And Essendon would have said "ok, give us Jones and a pick"

Obviously the saints would have rejected that.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Re: Article in todays Age. Thomas and Hille trade.

Post by swoodley »

bombercol wrote:Have a read, very interesting.

Ruck trade a Hille too far for Thomas
Caroline Wilson
September 19, 2006

THE St Kilda board was told in the weeks leading up to Grant Thomas' sacking that three years ago the coach rejected a deal that could have brought Essendon ruckman David Hille to Moorabbin.

Although Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy last night denied that Hille was ever placed on the trade table, Hille's manager Ricky Nixon claimed that the Essendon acting skipper could have gone to St Kilda at the end of 2003 as part of a deal involving then disenchanted Saint Austinn Jones.

Whether or not there is any truth in the claim, it appears to have been one of the final nails in Thomas' coaching coffin in the eyes of the board. The report also underlines the increasing lack of communication between St Kilda's football department and its board as Thomas' reign unfolded.

Thomas will not be paid for 2007 — the final year of his coaching contract — due to a termination clause. Upon his sacking last Tuesday, the board handed him an agreement that he signed agreeing not to undermine the club in any way, and not to undo any of the progress the Saints had made.

The agreement was said to involve Thomas' strong relationship with his players and included a significant financial sweetener should he stick to the deal. The former coach was questioned by the St Kilda board in the days that followed his sacking when they learned he had instigated, or been involved in, a meeting with senior players at the home of Saints patron Lindsay Fox.

Thomas told The Age last night that he couldn't remember in full detail what took place in the trade period at the end of 2003. However, he added: "We tried on more than one occasion to secure David Hille's services, along with those of other ruckmen we rated highly. We were unsuccessful. Feel free to verify that with (St Kilda recruiting manager) John Beveridge or (football manager) Mark Rendell."

Essendon's recruiting manager Adrian Dodoro said that St Kilda had made approaches regarding Hille in recent years but that the Bombers had never looked at trading him. Sheedy added: "David Hille was never placed on the trade table." Player manager Nixon, however, claimed that Hille could have gone to St Kilda.

Intriguingly, St Kilda president Rod Butterss confirmed to The Age he had been told that Hille, then 22, had been offered to the Saints, whose ongoing dearth of senior ruckmen became a major issue at the club, an issue which continued until Thomas' last game when he went into the elimination final against Melbourne with Justin Koschitzke and Michael Rix sharing ruck duties, having dropped three recognised ruckmen from the previous game.

The Saints board was also unimpressed by the club's failure to lure Troy Simmonds from Fremantle as part of the Heath Black trade two seasons ago. Thomas' team could not agree to terms with Simmonds and the Saints finished up with Aaron Fiora, while Richmond signed Simmonds to a controversial five-year deal.

Although Butterss and his administration have stressed to people outside the club that the rucking issue was one of many that contributed to Thomas' downfall — another was his poor relationship with the umpiring fraternity — the allegation regarding Hille appears to have proved one of the final straws.

Thomas told the club at the time that the Jones trade was set to involve Justin Blumfield. Intriguingly, the coach's view was supported last night by Dodoro.
How much truth is in it?

Generally at trade time, most players will be considered tradeable if the right deal can be done.

Was Hille's name put out there...it seems so as Dodoro has confirmed it but there is no comment as to how far any potential deal got.

Hille is still at Essendon so I say...who gives a rat's...re something that (might have) happened three years ago.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

Doubt Hille would have been traded. The club have rated him for a while, and knowing sheeds, the only way he would have done it would be for something in which benifited too much for them to accept.
SuperSonic
High Draft Pick

Post by SuperSonic »

Look at who wrote the article people. For fucksake.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

It sounds like bullshit, it is bullshit.
Daniel.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

SuperSonic wrote:Look at who wrote the article people. For fucksake.
:lol:
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

I would doubt too that Hille would have ever been put up for trade.

I found it interesting because I think there is a bit of backlash and excuses for Thomas' sacking and some people are trying to seek reasons for it.

I don't think we are going to see the end of this controversial dismissal for a while.
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

Thomas confirmed they'd asked after Hille, as well as a number of young ruckmen. If Essendon was asked whether they'd trade Hille, I'm sure they'd have to consider it - even if the answer was NO.

So the article sounds like it was correct.
bueller
High Draft Pick

Post by bueller »

Yes but the tone of the article was that Thomas was in the shit for not doing enough to secure Hille in this potential trade. And that it was a deal that he rejected not Essendon.
I think this would be garbage as i can't imagine at that stage that Hille would even be considered as trade bait - as he was Essendons next big thing - a ruckman who had the potential to be a matchwinner. Which is what Essendon has lacked for years.
I can't believe for one minute that Thomas was sacked because the board has found out that this deal couldve gone ahead if he agreed. What crap.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

bueller wrote:Yes but the tone of the article was that Thomas was in the shit for not doing enough to secure Hille in this potential trade. And that it was a deal that he rejected not Essendon.
I think this would be garbage as i can't imagine at that stage that Hille would even be considered as trade bait - as he was Essendons next big thing - a ruckman who had the potential to be a matchwinner. Which is what Essendon has lacked for years.
I can't believe for one minute that Thomas was sacked because the board has found out that this deal couldve gone ahead if he agreed. What crap.
The article also refers to the Saints missing out on Simmonds, where they were are very good chance of snaring him.

Also he would have been in the shit for leaving out his ruckman for the semi against Melbourne, especially as Kosi is at present very "precious".
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Thomas was possibly on a hiding to nothing.

Simmonds would always take a 5 year deal. If he'd've offered that to Simmonds they would've sacked him.

He possibly had Kosi in his plans as his main ruck, but ended up with a bunch of also rans as Kosi succumbed to his annus horribilus. It'd be no surprise that Kosi had been considered as the numero uno ruck last year, when looking at this years list. In the context of a Gehrig/Riewodlt/McGuire/Hudgton spine, I'd think that would be a fair call.

Please don't interpret my comments as defensive of Thomas, as I think he did make some flawed decisions...McGough comes to mind/ignoring Gehrigs behaviour whilst responding to others less equal than Gehrig....

The board is frustrated and so they should be, but as usual, the Saints are making mistakes off the field as well as on it.

It will be very interesting to see which ruck they use in 2007.
mrredfox
High Draft Pick

Post by mrredfox »

antcl wrote:Thomas confirmed they'd asked after Hille, as well as a number of young ruckmen. If Essendon was asked whether they'd trade Hille, I'm sure they'd have to consider it - even if the answer was NO.

So the article sounds like it was correct.
That sounds about right. They would of asked about trading Hille and EFC would of said what are you offering, then said nah not interested.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

The whole thing proves once again what a mess St Kilda is in. Even though Grant Thomas comes across as a dick, you have to feel at least a bit sorry for him having to deal with such a dysfunctional board.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Anyone else remember the general opinion of Hille 3 years ago?
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Sismis wrote:Anyone else remember the general opinion of Hille 3 years ago?
End of 2003, Alessio retires, Hille tenth in the B&F, wins the Most Improved Awrd, and a nice story about him in the yearbook.

Based on this Hille would have been a priority to stay on our list.

Like any year, at trade time questions would be asked about many players even if they are way out of left field.

The Saints may of asked but I would have said that EFC would have said a very quick no.

The intersting part was the deal (Jones to Essendon) included Justin Blumfield who in 2003 was at Richmond, a supposed deal which Dodoro also confirmed. With a third club involved who really know what the other piece of the puzzle was.

I found it an interesting article, Thomas' sacking has been quite controversial and stories like this may surface by some people to help justify or sling mud to support his sacking.

I don't think it will be the last we hear of Grant Thomas stories.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Caroline Wilson is an idiot...
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

F111 wrote:Thomas was possibly on a hiding to nothing.

Simmonds would always take a 5 year deal. If he'd've offered that to Simmonds they would've sacked him.

He possibly had Kosi in his plans as his main ruck, but ended up with a bunch of also rans as Kosi succumbed to his annus horribilus. It'd be no surprise that Kosi had been considered as the numero uno ruck last year, when looking at this years list. In the context of a Gehrig/Riewodlt/McGuire/Hudgton spine, I'd think that would be a fair call.

Please don't interpret my comments as defensive of Thomas, as I think he did make some flawed decisions...McGough comes to mind/ignoring Gehrigs behaviour whilst responding to others less equal than Gehrig....

The board is frustrated and so they should be, but as usual, the Saints are making mistakes off the field as well as on it.

It will be very interesting to see which ruck they use in 2007.
Excellent post F111, as usual. Kosi was the Saints #1 player for a stint and was the reason they were punishing teams... then he goes and gets himself knocked out... Down the drain go plans. Sounds a bit like our forward line. Lloyd the focal point... tears his hammy off the bone and we're screwed.

St Kilda were never going to win a flag with Thomas at the helm, but I don't think the problems end there. Personally I think St Kilda are going to have never ending problems as long as that idiot Butterss is still there. That's where the problems start, IMO.