Scott Lucas

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Essendon4eva wrote:
swoodley wrote:
Essendon4eva wrote:Why would West Coast want him? They will then havea superstar center half forward and not have to rely on that hack in Lynch. Maybe we get a guy like Pridis or Rosa. Two ball winners, who are playing behind Cousins, Judd, Kerr, plus they are young and could flourish wiht the extra responsibility. From the Doggies we could get Daniel Cross, Lindsey Gilbee, just off the top of my head.

I know alot of AFL fans are except to get alot of nothing, but you have to give away something. And it was said by the board when the sacked SHeed's, that Lucas was part of a group that won't be around in 4-5 years.
And so your loyalty to Sheedy does not follow on to one of our best players of the last 20 years.

I think I'll just stick with Scotty thanks.
Let's look at thsoe moronic comparisons you jsut made.

Sheeds - Cannot trade a coach. It si not like when he calls it quits you then get nothing for him.
McPhee - Reason I said he shouldn't be traded is because in 2004 he was a B&F and then got OP. SO I thought wanting to trade a yojng guys based on form was not good enough. So I though he should be giving a go next season under a new coach.

My reason for Lucas - We can get alot in return which will help us the next 10 years. If he stays the development of Gumbelton slows down and once he is gone in 3 years we get nothing in return.
Why does the development of Gumby automatically slow down? Wouldn't it be better to have a great CHF playing alongside you so that you can learn some of their trade and use it in your own game?
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Essendon4eva wrote:
swoodley wrote:
Essendon4eva wrote:Why would West Coast want him? They will then havea superstar center half forward and not have to rely on that hack in Lynch. Maybe we get a guy like Pridis or Rosa. Two ball winners, who are playing behind Cousins, Judd, Kerr, plus they are young and could flourish wiht the extra responsibility. From the Doggies we could get Daniel Cross, Lindsey Gilbee, just off the top of my head.

I know alot of AFL fans are except to get alot of nothing, but you have to give away something. And it was said by the board when the sacked SHeed's, that Lucas was part of a group that won't be around in 4-5 years.
And so your loyalty to Sheedy does not follow on to one of our best players of the last 20 years.

Sheeds - Cannot trade a coach. It si not like when he calls it quits you then get nothing for him.
McPhee - Reason I said he shouldn't be traded is because in 2004 he was a B&F and then got OP. SO I thought wanting to trade a yojng guys based on form was not good enough. So I though he should be giving a go next season under a new coach.

My reason for Lucas - We can get alot in return which will help us the next 10 years. If he stays the development of Gumbelton slows down and once he is gone in 3 years we get nothing in return.
You're a funny fellow E4E...you regularly complain about people insulting you and then you start your post by saying my comparisons are moronic.

So let me reply...

Firstly, I have not mentioned McPhee in any of my posts so I don't know why you're bringing him up in your reply to my post.

Second...my mention of Sheedy made no reference to trading him and how you come up with that astounds me. The comparison I made was of you showing strong loyalty to Sheeds but no loyalty to Scotty even though he has been a champion of our club for the last 12 years or so.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:You can tell the silly season is around the corner when people post topics like this one.

Lucas is a star, simple as that and has been one of our few match winers this season.
Great post Mrs M
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

boncer34 wrote:
Essendon4eva wrote:
swoodley wrote:

Why does the development of Gumby automatically slow down? Wouldn't it be better to have a great CHF playing alongside you so that you can learn some of their trade and use it in your own game?
How can you have two guys playing CHF? ANd is Gumby going to stop and take notes from Scott? If you want to look at it that way, why not have Gumby sit down and watch tapes of Carey, and other center half forwards?

Yes, swoodley you are right, but it didn't stop so I'm just following suit. And, your comparison still doesn't make sense. That was the point. I'm syaing trade Lucas to get some quality in the medfield. You cannot get something form kicking Sheed's out. You understand now? I'm not saying Lucas cannot play anymore. I'm not saying his time is up. I'm saying we have alot of KPP but need skillful medfielders. So let's stop being scared and test the market. Our own board, who you all support, has said these guys will be gone in 3 years. So let's get some value while we can.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Essendon4eva wrote:
boncer34 wrote:
Essendon4eva wrote:
swoodley wrote:

How can you have two guys playing CHF? ANd is Gumby going to stop and take notes from Scott? If you want to look at it that way, why not have Gumby sit down and watch tapes of Carey, and other center half forwards?

Yes, swoodley you are right, but it didn't stop so I'm just following suit. And, your comparison still doesn't make sense. That was the point. I'm syaing trade Lucas to get some quality in the medfield. You cannot get something form kicking Sheed's out. You understand now? So let's stop being scared and test the market. Our own board, who you all support, has said these guys will be gone in 3 years. So let's get some value while we can.
So you see something wrong with having 2 strong marking targets at CHF? If one options covered then theres always the other one.

Your missing Swoods point. He simply wonders why you show such loyalty to Sheeds and not to Lucas? It has nothing to do with what we can get for Lucas and what we cant get for Sheeds.

As for stop being scared and testing the market, how exactly does this not apply to McPhee? Same with the getting some value while we can on a player like Johns. While I'm on it why haven't you started a similar thread about Lloyd or Fletcher? Johns and Ryder are younger blokes who are ment to fill their shoes, surely those 2 are also on your hit list as well as Lucas?

Cant recall the board ever saying Lucas will be gone in 3 years but if you feel like offering up some proof then I'll be happy to be wrong.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Lucas has been our best or very close to our best player BOTH this year and last year.

I can't see that trading him would help morale at all (morale is a factor we should never forget and it is pretty low at Bomberland at the moment - I for one would not like to see it sink further - does anyone remember Geoff Raines & Mike Richardson??)
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

I would trade Lloyd before Lucas - Lucas is a far more important player to this team and a 2 time Club Champion
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Trading Lucas or Lloyd would be insanity. Both top 10 on the goalkicking.

Lucas is versatile enough to play as a flank. In fact When Hird held down CHF, that is exactly where he used to play.

Gumby as he learns can then be eased into a Key Role.

Keps (if he can deliver in the ones) can play as a back up when one goes down.
Stocksy
On the Rookie List

Post by Stocksy »

How is trading Lucas for ONE midfielder going to make a living shit of difference to where we finish on the ladder in the near future? We have problems in a lot of positions at the moment, I cant believe that anyone would think one midfielder is going to solve our problems or make us a better side. As a club we need to improve accross the board. Not just the midfield.

Key position players are a rarity in our game and you dont throw (or trade) them away once you have them.

As for the holding back Gumby part, he is actually giving gumby a chance to learn his trade without having the best defender hammering each week.
Here's to swimming with bow legged women...
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

DId I specifiy the player or amount of players?
Lucas is a superstar forward, so I'm propsing we put his name out there and maybe get a superstar to help us in teh middle.

Our defence is in trouble becuase the opposition constantly gets the ball inside, putting alot of pressur eon our defence.
Our Medfield doesn't get enough of the ball and doesn't use ir properly, which means we do not get enough inside 50's to score high.
So at the end of the day that is our weakest point.
Stocksy
On the Rookie List

Post by Stocksy »

How many players do you think we would get for Lucas (and remember in an earlier post you were not interested in hacks but quality midfielders)?

What Diference would ONE, or lets use your examples from earlier, what difference would a Priddis make to our side or a Rosa (rembering you are after a quality midfielder yet these two dont make regular appearance for there own clubs). Also worth noting that the players you threw up (bu didnt throw up) earlier are all running players with light frames, who is getting the ball out to them? How are they helping our defence?

The reason we are where we are is because as a team we are very average. The midfield is a small part of that not going to be fixed with the trading of our best forward for the past few seasons...
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

The trend around these forums are that we have 3-5 years to devlop our team. Therefore if a guys lke Pridis and Rosa can get games in the West Coast Eagles medfield, in 5 years they will be very good.
I've always thought Jobe Watson was doing pretty well in close. The problem is the players around him are not quick enough or skilled enough.

Yes Lucas has been our best, but consider they have all been losing seasons.
Stocksy
On the Rookie List

Post by Stocksy »

Can see your point, but you look at the mistake that Fremantle made (many I know) they thought the same thing about Des Headland, looked great in a fantastic midfield but they are still waiting for him to repay them. IMO a trade like you have mentioned would end up the same for us.

The sad fact is we are now in that 3-5 year rebuilding phase. Hopefully the young kids we draft turn into something special, and some of the more seasoned players get that hunger and motivation back.

Off topic a bit now, with the changes of the coach @ years end does that open the doors to all positions e.g Fitness Coaches, Recruiting People etc etc or does all that stay the same?
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Stocksy wrote:Off topic a bit now, with the changes of the coach @ years end does that open the doors to all positions e.g Fitness Coaches, Recruiting People etc etc or does all that stay the same?
Don't know for a certainty, but likely to be a significant number of changes in the football department.

Every appointment appertaining to matters on field made in the last 7-8 years have been at the behest of Sheedy (i.e. he's essentially single-handedly run the on field side of our club). So i'd suggest that when he goes and we get someone new in with an objective pair of eyes, there will be some changes in the on field department, although it may take a couple years for the new coach to get in who he wants.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

Stocksy wrote:Can see your point, but you look at the mistake that Fremantle made (many I know) they thought the same thing about Des Headland, looked great in a fantastic midfield but they are still waiting for him to repay them. IMO a trade like you have mentioned would end up the same for us.

The sad fact is we are now in that 3-5 year rebuilding phase. Hopefully the young kids we draft turn into something special, and some of the more seasoned players get that hunger and motivation back.

Off topic a bit now, with the changes of the coach @ years end does that open the doors to all positions e.g Fitness Coaches, Recruiting People etc etc or does all that stay the same?
That is a fair response. All I got from the board, which is defended by a majority of 'bombertalk' members, we are looking to a future without Lloyd, Lucas, Fletcher etc. So if that is the case, we should not be fraid to put their names up and see what we can get. You never know, Judd may want to come to Melbourne still.
Also loyalty ewas mentioned. if we are going to focus on development adn not a grand final during the next 3 years, give these guys their due and send them where they can win another medalion.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

GOOD LORD....TRADING LUCAS FOR PRIDDIS OR ROSA???!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Umm...how long have Priddis and Rosa been around 1-2 years. Good players but they are NOT, and I highlight, NOT, guns.

They get to play in a midfield packed with the likes of Judd, Kerr, Cousins, Braun, Stenglien etc....they wouldn't know a tagger if they fell over one. At Essendon they would have jack shit taking attention away from them. They wouldn't have the best ruckman in the comp serving the ball up to them on a platter. If they are any good then they would attract the attention of taggers, and they have not shown the would be capable of handling this.

Good midfielders in a midfield chocked full of great midfielders...not too hard for them. Being good midfielders, let alone great midfielders in a shithouse midfield...that's a much harder proposition.

Ever wonder why when we were forced to trade Blumfield and Heffernan we got jack shit for them in return. Because they were decent players made to look a lot better by the fact they had a bunch of greats around them. Look at what happened to them when they went to other clubs!!!

Idiotic to mention trading Lucas for Priddis or Rosa.

Now if we could get a Cousins, Kerr or Judd for him then we have to look at it....but the Eagles aren't going to agree to that.
Essendon4eva
High Draft Pick

Post by Essendon4eva »

DId you read my posts mate? Offcourse not. Read the reason again and also read why i mentioned those names. Was asked to name some guys.

They basic summary is since we are developing for the post 'LLoyd, Lucas, Fletcher etc' era, we should put there names up and see who we can get.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Essendon4eva wrote:DId you read my posts mate? Offcourse not. Read the reason again and also read why i mentioned those names. Was asked to name some guys.

They basic summary is since we are developing for the post 'LLoyd, Lucas, Fletcher etc' era, we should put there names up and see who we can get.
Yes I did read your reasoning.

I got what you were saying about trading him to get great young midfielders into the team. I was merely stating my opinion that it would be a travesty if we gave Lucas the arse after 12 years of loyal service only to get a Priddis or Rosa in return.

Handy types in a great midfield who would struggle to have any impact in a midfield as shit as our own. Nowhere near a fair trade for Scotty.

If you can come up with a realistic possible trade involving Scotty Lucas and it's win, win then I'd at least consider it.

Post by Guest »

Stupid. Whilst I appreciate the sentiment in getting value for bloke like Lucas while we still can, there are just some blokes who shouldn't be traded.

Lucas is a 2 time Crichton Medalliest, 200+ gamer, premiership player, arguably top 20 (maybe top 10) all-time Essendon great. Players like these are not traded. Doing so would merely tear at the fabric of this great club.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Anonymous wrote:Stupid. Whilst I appreciate the sentiment in getting value for bloke like Lucas while we still can, there are just some blokes who shouldn't be traded.

Lucas is a 2 time Crichton Medalliest, 200+ gamer, premiership player, arguably top 20 (maybe top 10) all-time Essendon great. Players like these are not traded. Doing so would merely tear at the fabric of this great club.
Well said Mr Guest Speaker.

Totally agree with you, and using the logic of trading players that have great value, then the club should have traded James Hird after the 2000 Grand Final. What a stupid concept.....

Do you see Brisbane wanting to trade Jonathon Brown?