delistings....

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

ealesy wrote:
Crazyman wrote:For mine, Bolts will have to have a blinder of a season this time around in order to get another contract next year...
I would agree too, if it wasn't for the fact that people have been saying that about Bolton for the past 5 years!!!

He has never produced and yet he still gets kept on the list!!
I agree that Bolts hasn't been the best player at our club but he has been serviceable and very handy on various occasions. You can't say the same for players like Reynolds, Henno and Carts which is why they aren't on the list anymore.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Henneman had a very servicable year in 2001 playing across half-back, somethimes even CHB.

Any chance he had of forging a successful AFL career was destroyed by constant injuries and constantly being played out of position.

Reynolds to, while I doubt he would've made it anyway, had a bad run with injury and illness.

Cartledge just wasn't able to develop the body an AFL ruckman requires.

Mark Bolton has no such excuses. Had an injury free career!!

Mark Bolton has never, been and never will be anything other than a borderline serviceable AFL player. He has had the very rare glimsp of good form soon over run by deplorable skills, disgusting decision making skills and his inability to read a game of football.

He might be worth a spot on the list as a depth player, but with our list in it's current state we can't afford to have him there as depth player. Should've cut him and picked up another youngster. I would be tipping a number 60+ draft pick this year would be at least as valuable as Bolton.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

ealesy wrote:Henneman had a very servicable year in 2001 playing across half-back, somethimes even CHB.

Any chance he had of forging a successful AFL career was destroyed by constant injuries and constantly being played out of position.
And constant ineptness when playing. He couldnt punch from behind, he couldnt mark, nor could he kick. he was too slow and had a turning-circle like the HMAS.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

How people can justify keeping Bolton on the list with the fact that he "trains hard" and similar rubbish arguments is beyond me. It's just a cop out with no substance to the argument.

I could go and train my guts out (harder than anyone else in the squad) but would I get myself a contract playing AFL with EFC? I seriously doubt it. Training your guts out just doesn't cut it if you don't have the skills to play at AFL level. I'm 25 now so I most certainly wouldn't be picked up now even if I did go and train my guts out.

He might work hard on the field during a game, but that doesn't excuse his lack of ability. He might train hard but I see no improvement in his skills or decision making. So he can run all day? Who cares? Does that translate into putting the score on the board? So far the answer is a big fat no.

Lucy is delisted after one season, without getting the opportunity to play in the seniors. Bolton, who has shown time and time again that he isn't good enough to play senior football, continues to get a game and another contract playing footy.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't reward hard work on the training track, but when you just don't have what it takes there is a line that should not be crossed. Unfortunately, EFC just crossed it.

Bolton is the opposite of guys like Cupido. No talent but works his guts out. Cupido has mountains of talent but just doesn't apply himself. Pity about both. We did the right thing by ditching Cupido, although I was one who would have liked him to stay another year. We should have ditched Bolton but he gets the extra year.

As I said before, he's still contracted however, and while he remains at the club I'll support him... but I'm not happy about it (not that it matters to the club).
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant