Surprise, Mal Brown is racist

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
dom_105
Club Captain

Re: Surprise, Mal Brown is racist

Post by dom_105 »

Bit disappointed with Dipper, he would have been on the end of that sort of stuff back in his early days (i would imagine)
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

j-mac31 wrote:Forgot to mention this one earlier, but one that went under the radar (made it onto Media Watch though, where I "saw" it) was a comment by Mark MaClure on ABC after a Carlton game a few weeks back.

Whoever they were talking to (Carlton player) mentioned Betts, Yarran and Garlett in their forward line and MaClure comments that they "run like they've stolen something." After being told "you can't say that!" he maintained that he could. #-o
What's wrong with that? It is not him who is making the presumption that aboriginals steal, it was they others who tried to make something out of it.

And as for Dipper, I bet he was called a wog while he was growing up, never heard him have a sook about it.

Some people need to HTFU, seriously. Mal Brown calling Aboriginals cannibals is plain wrong, stupid and offensive, but saying that he couldn't see them in the dark (obviously tongue in cheek) is the exact same as saying someone is "white as a ghost".
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Old mate
Top Up Player

Post by Old mate »

Mate, "wogs" were never subject to the same level of discrimination (at best) and extermination (at worst) that aborigines have been in this country. People make the claim that aboriginal jokes are innocuous and no different to calling someone a "white c%nt"...(not implying you were making that connection)..but I think that is plain wrong.

You need to look at the comments in context of the grave injustices perpertrated against aborignal people in this country over the course of our history to see that it is not not an "equivalent" insult. Mal Brown is probably not a racist at heart (as evidenced by his committment to assisting aboriginal kids in sport) but he is guilty of trivialising their collective suffering by claiming it's "ok" to crack a few jokes in jest. Such cracks aren't innocuous and need to be viewed in context.