MAL MICHAEL

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Windy_Hill wrote:
uptick wrote:No chance we'll have to give the BEARS anything. All that will happen is that in future retiring players will be required to offer their services to the old club prior to reactivating theirt careers, assuming they are still under contract at the time of retirement. End of story. Haver said that , I'm going to enjoy the journey between today, and round one when he runs out in the RED and BLACK.

I am not sure it will work this way. I dont think the AFL needs to introduce any new rules because simply put, the law of contract should prevail. This is simply a case of Brisbane not crossing the T's and dotting the I's. Remenber, they agreed to tear up Michael's contract. He therefore has every legal right to do what he is doing. If Brisbane had been smarter they would have simply held onto the contract but agreed with Michael not to pay any money.

Why are Brisbane so pissed off- because like anyone in this situation, the just feel stupid for letting it happen and are trying to deflect the blame onto everyone else.
Spot on.

I actually can't believe what Mal Michael has done to Brisbane though. He has given them one swift kick in the nuts. I reckon 99.99% of players wouldn't have done what he's done, he just happens to be the 0.01% that would. Brisbane are pissed off because they have been embarrassed, and they are seething and want blood. But in reality, they made him a free agent.
Gatsid
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gatsid »

BenDoolan wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:
uptick wrote:No chance we'll have to give the BEARS anything. All that will happen is that in future retiring players will be required to offer their services to the old club prior to reactivating theirt careers, assuming they are still under contract at the time of retirement. End of story. Haver said that , I'm going to enjoy the journey between today, and round one when he runs out in the RED and BLACK.

I am not sure it will work this way. I dont think the AFL needs to introduce any new rules because simply put, the law of contract should prevail. This is simply a case of Brisbane not crossing the T's and dotting the I's. Remenber, they agreed to tear up Michael's contract. He therefore has every legal right to do what he is doing. If Brisbane had been smarter they would have simply held onto the contract but agreed with Michael not to pay any money.

Why are Brisbane so pissed off- because like anyone in this situation, the just feel stupid for letting it happen and are trying to deflect the blame onto everyone else.
Spot on.

I actually can't believe what Mal Michael has done to Brisbane though. He has given them one swift kick in the nuts. I reckon 99.99% of players wouldn't have done what he's done, he just happens to be the 0.01% that would. Brisbane are pissed off because they have been embarrassed, and they are seething and want blood. But in reality, they made him a free agent.
That said though aker has been saying for ages now the lions are treating their players like crap and maybe here is more proof that the lions are forcing their players away simply by the way they treat them. I don't really care though to be honest I just want to see Mal at the Bombers.
simmo41
High Draft Pick

Post by simmo41 »

I think I read this in the HS, but might have been somewhere else...

Basically, the Lions are a full time football club - players train (in one way or another) 7 days a week. If I had to do something 7 days a week I'd grow sick of it too.

Essendon (and pretty much every other club) train 6 days a week. And Sheeds is willing to let MM have a few extra days off here and there to enable him to pursue his interests in PNG. And good on him.

Even if Michael is at 100% fitness all year, I'd expect he would play a maximum of 18 games.

Brisbane's reaction to all this reeks of "spoilt child". MM's contract ended on 31/10 - they have no power after this date.

It's interested to hear that they have "signed" MM to be a club ambassador. I'm thinking that was only a verbal agreement that was still quite a way off being formalised.
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

Mal Michael will be a great addition to our backline. It is about time Fletch had some support and Michael will well and truly cover the lose of Solly.

However one must question the ethics of this move. Essendon saw an opportunity and took it....Mal on the other hand has done the dirty on Brisbane. I wasnt too impressed with his arrogance at the press conference.

Looking forward to playing the Lions in 2007.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

merc_2 wrote:Mal Michael will be a great addition to our backline. It is about time Fletch had some support and Michael will well and truly cover the lose of Solly.

However one must question the ethics of this move. Essendon saw an opportunity and took it....Mal on the other hand has done the dirty on Brisbane. I wasnt too impressed with his arrogance at the press conference.

Looking forward to playing the Lions in 2007.
It will be a great game.
If only too see J Brown in action against Michael.
I hope Mal can stop him! Whilst I love to watch browny play, a mad browny kicking 8 against us would not be good.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

tom9779 wrote: I hope Mal can stop him! Whilst I love to watch browny play, a mad browny kicking 8 against us would not be good.
He kicks 8 every time he plays us anyway.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Maybe Mal could talk him into retirement....... :lol:
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

BenDoolan wrote:Maybe Mal could talk him into retirement....... :lol:
Yeah, imagine adding J Brown to our current list of tall forwards... :)
simmo41
High Draft Pick

Post by simmo41 »

merc_2 wrote:Mal on the other hand has done the dirty on Brisbane. I wasnt too impressed with his arrogance at the press conference.
Mal didn't lose his passion for playing footy. He lost his passion playing footy for Brisbane. It's unbelievable how much they try to get out of their players (look at the whole IV drip thing a while back). Sure, that kind of regime got them three flags, but now it's taking it's toll on the players. I'd expect quite a few more players to leave/retire over the next 12 months.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Now there's rumours that St Kilda have been talking to Matthew Clarke to see if he has really retired. St Kilda are refusing to comment.

Adelaide's reaction...good luck to him, we wish him well!
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Some hilarious entries there F111. Some people really have no idea, but like to post something as if they know it all!
Posted by Steve of Cairns on Wed 29 Nov 06 at 02:45pm
What next? Voss to pop up in a West Coast uniform. Shame on you Mal. Essendon should be fined for this serious breach.
Serious breach of what, you twat?
Posted by steve on Thu 30 Nov 06 at 10:28am
When Essendon cheated the salary cap more than once they got a slap on the wrist. Compare Essendon’s fines with Carlton’s. Now another Essendon rort comes too light and not even a slap on the wrist this time.
An Essendon rort? Brisbane fail in contractual management and that's an Essendon rort. You clown!
Posted by Bernie Kurjanski of Melbourne on Thu 30 Nov 06 at 02:00pm
I think Carlton should pick Mal Michael with their first pick in the Preseason draft.
They must be able to that, because there’s no way that Mal Michael could have signed a contract with Essendon before the draft. That would be draft tampering, woudn’t it? And Essendon would never do anything wrong, would they?
But then again, Ron Evans, the ex-Essendon President is now on the AFL Commission, so that makes it OK.
Umm, didn't Carlton already sign Cain Hackland? That means Carlton is guilty of draft tampering (AGAIN), according to your completely stupid logic.

And these sort of people will go on living their life with the firm belief Essendon has done something completely sinister and somehow deliberately rorted the "system".
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Just goes to show how many morons there are in the world!
KaaN10
Regular Senior Player

Post by KaaN10 »

So is he coming or not
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

KaaN10 wrote:So is he coming or not
He has signed with Essendon for two years, and Essendon will select him with their first pick (No.2 overall) in the PSD. Carlton are committed (more or less) to picking Cain Hackland with the No.1 pick as they have already signed him.
Ramanama
Regular Senior Player

Post by Ramanama »

it will be a good pick-up.
V-BOMBERS:
Premiers of the BTCL OD 0'7. V-Bombers!!!
BomberTalk POTY - Ramanama