Rookie Question

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Rookie Question

Post by rama_fan »

Seeing as the other thread got hijacked by alcohol discussions I thought i'd chuck this here.

For anyone in the know, was Dean Dick expected to go in the first round of the rookie draft? Or did we just throw an absolute curve ball?

Because I'd be a bit dissappointed if we picked him up with our first pick if he was going to be around come pick 17?

Leigh Adams was extremely stiff not to get drafted in the real draft and In my opinion having seen him play a bit will have a very strong chance of becoming a 100+ game player. (Although similiar things were said about Ben Jolley, who was also Vic Metro captain.) My concerns are that we've let slip Leigh Adams to get Dick when we could possibly have had both?
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Speaking of absolute curve balls, sometimes after too many beers i try the change up ball by having a Galliano and raspberry - very refreshing. People should try this drink before they knock it!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Did someone mention alcohol? Well now, I've been in two liquor stores and both didn't sell Bacardi 151. Looks like it's a Dan Murphy's job.

Sorry I can't help you with your request Rama, I'm not really sure....and it's off the topic anyway :wink:
uptick
High Draft Pick
Location: Under cover, deep in the heart of Carlscum territory

Re: Rookie Question

Post by uptick »

rama_fan wrote:Seeing as the other thread got hijacked by alcohol discussions I thought i'd chuck this here.

For anyone in the know, was Dean Dick expected to go in the first round of the rookie draft? Or did we just throw an absolute curve ball?

Because I'd be a bit dissappointed if we picked him up with our first pick if he was going to be around come pick 17?

Leigh Adams was extremely stiff not to get drafted in the real draft and In my opinion having seen him play a bit will have a very strong chance of becoming a 100+ game player. (Although similiar things were said about Ben Jolley, who was also Vic Metro captain.) My concerns are that we've let slip Leigh Adams to get Dick when we could possibly have had both?
I'm not at all familar with Dick or Adams, but your mention of Jolley is of interest to me in that his time at the Bombers really demonstrates what little chance a young player has to show his worth, or more to the point , how little chance some get to demonstrate their potential, v's others e,g, Hemo and Reynolds.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Re: Rookie Question

Post by j-mac31 »

rama_fan wrote:Seeing as the other thread got hijacked by alcohol discussions I thought i'd chuck this here.

I don't think it is very relevant. Yes some rookies turn out guns. How many don't? It isn't the same as completely f****** up a first round pick in the National Draft.
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

Agree, but these are the little things that might make a difference.

However it's easy to understand us drafting Dick first given the success we've had with aboriginals coming from the Rookie list (Rioli, NLM, Lovett)
Koala
Champion of Essendon

Post by Koala »

I've heard that one of Leigh's old coaches is now working at the Kangaroos and that's why he ended up training there instead of with us
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

Koala wrote:I've heard that one of Leigh's old coaches is now working at the Kangaroos and that's why he ended up training there instead of with us
Yeah, John Lamont. Coached Eastern U18's. Absolute prick of a bloke. Still no reason why we couldn't have picked him up with pick 2.
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

I've no idea whether Dick was rated that high.

But its possible we raited Dick and Chartres (sp?) as the best two candidates for US. In which case, it wouldn't matter whether others saw them as overpriced, or if we could get Adams.