the tanking issue again.....

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
little_ripper
Club Captain

the tanking issue again.....

Post by little_ripper »

so it raises its ugly head again.

seriously, why on earth are the AFL forcing clubs to nominate now if they will use their priority picks. it adds tanking speculation before the season even starts? whats the rationale?

Surely priority pick usage nominations can come after round 23(or even just after grand final day).
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Re: the tanking issue again.....

Post by Jazz_84 »

sorry but why does it add tanking speculation? i would have thought if a club activates their priority pick now it would actually lessen the need to finish lower
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Yeah I dont see it either
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Jazz_84 wrote:sorry but why does it add tanking speculation? i would have thought if a club activates their priority pick now it would actually lessen the need to finish lower
The picks are not at the start of the draft like ye olde priority picks, they either come immediately after that club's normal pick or at the end of the round.

But I don't think it raises the tanking issue again.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

ahh ok well Ripper does have a point, teams will think it's twice as good to tank I guess.... i wonder what carlton will be thinking :lol:
Kakadu Kangaroos
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Either way even if they had to nominate after the season couldnt a team tank in anticipation of taking their pick in a given year?
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

so really they should have just applied each pick to a number to eliminate the extra incentive to tank
Kakadu Kangaroos
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

j-mac31 wrote:
Jazz_84 wrote:sorry but why does it add tanking speculation? i would have thought if a club activates their priority pick now it would actually lessen the need to finish lower
The picks are not at the start of the draft like ye olde priority picks, they either come immediately after that club's normal pick or at the end of the round.

But I don't think it raises the tanking issue again.

Of course it does, come round 15 and it is obvious Richmond (using them as an example- don't think they have a compensation pick) aren't going to make the finals again. Do they try their arse off to win another 3-4 games and finish 9th and lets say get pick 9 & 10 in the draft, or to they tank go winless for the rest of the season, finish 14 and get picks 4 & 5?
Gnome Chomsky
Top Up Player

Post by Gnome Chomsky »

ealesy wrote:Of course it does, come round 15 and it is obvious Richmond (using them as an example- don't think they have a compensation pick) aren't going to make the finals again. Do they try their arse off to win another 3-4 games and finish 9th and lets say get pick 9 & 10 in the draft, or to they tank go winless for the rest of the season, finish 14 and get picks 4 & 5?
No they won't tank, they will "explore their list", "expose young players to the rigors of AFL", "book players into surgery early so they can have an uninteruptied preseason" and "try untried players". This isnt tanking it is just not doing everything to win. Vlad has told us on numerous occasions that this is not tanking....why do you contridict our leader??
States are not moral agents, people are, and can impose moral standards on powerful institutions - Noam Chomsky
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

well I guess(having read the thread) you guys are right.

tanking speculation will happen regardless when more draft picks are handed out.

timing of when they are forced to elect when they use them doesn't change that fact. A club does not go into an entire season with the idea to tank.(its a concern they switch off when they realise finals and a shot at the flag are out of the question). So if Melbourne, Dogs etc have good years and are in the finals race, they are not going to want to drop off after say round 15/16.

each round should be a lottery anyhow, with poorer performing teams just having more tickets in the draw. That way they cannot try to work the system and try to finish say last to ensure they pick up the standout in the draft.(but still if you are a side who is generally ordinary they will get guaranteed extra early picks of good kids by virtue of having more tickets).
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

It's not a tanking issue, but it is an issue. Why is the AFL penalising clubs who have already copped a hammering by having their stars poached?

They should be able to nominate after the season and trades have been completed. How are they going to know at the start of the season, what thier needs are? With injuries, retirements and now possible free agent exits, a team can look very different at the end of the season.