Folau heading back to NRL

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
Ossie
Club Captain

Folau heading back to NRL

Post by Ossie »

Reportedly ... about to walk from the Giants and sign with the Sydney Roosters. Presser coming up at 4pm.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.

Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Re: Folau heading back to NRL

Post by Jazz_84 »

saw that on Twitter earlier too, no surprise
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals

little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

The brilliance of GWS eh?

Scored an amazing array of draft picks(6 in the top 30 inc 1-3), offload Folau to free up cap space and will probably pick up the best young player on offer in Tippett via the PSD.

(Whats the odds the AFL and GWS are doing backroom deals right now to ensure Tippett avoids deregistration.)

bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

I'll laugh my arse off if the Giants get Tippett.

I hate the Swans.

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

What a f****** crock of shit this experiment has been. Biggest waste of money ever invented.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Marketing wise, especially in selling this new club, Falou was worth every cent.

His leaving will now lift a huge burden off the player himself and the club.

j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Surprise.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.

swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

bombercol wrote:Marketing wise, especially in selling this new club, Falou was worth every cent.

Well said Col...the media generated in NSW when he defected to AFL would have been huge and now there will be a lot more reporting about him leaving....GWS will be in the papers again.

Not much of an AFL player but I reckon the AFL got their moneys worth.

And meanwhile up on the Gold Coast, Karmichael Hunt has developed in quite a edcent AFL player so that is a huge win for the AFL.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012

robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

He says he doesn't have the passion for the game. Tells us all we need to know that it was initially all about the money.

bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

swoodley wrote:
bombercol wrote:Marketing wise, especially in selling this new club, Falou was worth every cent.

Well said Col...the media generated in NSW when he defected to AFL would have been huge and now there will be a lot more reporting about him leaving....GWS will be in the papers again.

And meanwhile up on the Gold Coast, Karmichael Hunt has developed in quite a edcent AFL player so that is a huge win for the AFL.
Living in Canberra and being heavily involved with two Junior footy clubs, I see a lot of the what the Giants are doing especially in Canberra.

When they started Folau was involved here a lot with the Primary School visits in selling the brand.

As a player I think Folau already looked like he was reluctant and not really enjoying it.

Him leaving now I think is ideal because he's done a great job selling their brand and getting people to notice the Giants.

The Giants now don't have to worry about him anymore or the media pressure of him not performing.

It opens the door for the Giants to pinch Tippett off the Swans which will be great for the rivalry with the Swans and will give the Giants another big anme player to be a face with the club. We're already seeing more of players like Callan Ward, Phil Davis (who was a Canberra junior) and you'll see Jeremey Cameron and Toby Greene especially a lot more.

The Giants are already starting to sell themselves for next year where their doing a community camp for all Canberra Junior clubs in December and the Giants training Acadamy programmes for Under 15,16 and 18's start in a couple of weeks (where my son will be training in the Under 16's).

In Canberra, the Giants are fast becoming most people's "second" team, especially with the kids.

Next year they've got a big name (and the greatest) playing them in Canberra in the NAB club and this first game for premiership point will be under lights against the Saints will be awesome.

I guess you've got to spend money to make money. Falou put them on the front page when he signed, Sheedy has also been just as important and he's going after 2013, especially strring the pot with the Swans. The Giants have done it really well.

PS: If Tippett is drafted by the Giants (I wonder if the league will de register him with the prospect of a Swans Giants round 1 game) :?: :-k

Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

On the Tippett thing, I hope GWS take him and that he isn't a prick and decides not too play...

That said, I think he will be suspended instead of de-registered, but if de-registered, I would not think he would be available for the draft would he???

j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

swoodley wrote:

Depends on how many people who rocked up just to see him will stay on board.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

j-mac31 wrote:
swoodley wrote:

Depends on how many people who rocked up just to see him will stay on board.
I agree. It's a crock to think he's been worth every cent. They only have 9000 members. Do they attribute every single one of them to Folau? Rubbish.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

I actually agree with I think Greg Baum's column. Folau has been a disaster.

GWS will lose all those Folau fan's the accumulated. He will do more converting AFL kids to league than the other way round in the long run.

They'll manufacture a successful onfield side up at the giants I am sure(by whatever means necessary) but I think the best leg up an expansion club can have is the legacy of an existing club. Be it the Bloods culture from Souths at Sydney or Lions in Brisbane. Could be a long road for the Suns and GWS.....

swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

little_ripper wrote:I actually agree with I think Greg Baum's column. Folau has been a disaster.

GWS will lose all those Folau fan's the accumulated. He will do more converting AFL kids to league than the other way round in the long run.

They'll manufacture a successful onfield side up at the giants I am sure(by whatever means necessary) but I think the best leg up an expansion club can have is the legacy of an existing club. Be it the Bloods culture from Souths at Sydney or Lions in Brisbane. Could be a long road for the Suns and GWS.....
Sydney were a disaster for years and their "Bloods" culture didn't help them a bit. And I'd really like you to explain how Brisbane were assisted by taking over The Lions name...they already had the nucleus of their super team when that happened.

It has been the playing personnel, along with astute management and coaching that has brought success to Sydney and Brisbane...the legacy of South Melbourne and Fitzroy has been meaningless.

Adelaide and West Coast had no "leg up" as you prescribe but have won almost 20% of available premierships since they entered the competition.

And as for Folau converting more AFL kids...if he only had a hand in getting GWS 9000 members, there can't be too many AFL kids for him to convert...you can't have it both ways.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012

little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Brisbane received a massive boost when they merged with Fitzroy. Chris Johnson, the name Jonathan Brown ring any bells? plus a supporter base in Victoria.

Same with Sydney. They got Souths supporters, some heritage an actual team to buy into which didn't seem like some concocted rubbish.

Its pretty important in two states which do not produce a lot of footy themselves.

swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

little_ripper wrote:Brisbane received a massive boost when they merged with Fitzroy. Chris Johnson, the name Jonathan Brown ring any bells? plus a supporter base in Victoria.

Same with Sydney. They got Souths supporters, some heritage an actual team to buy into which didn't seem like some concocted rubbish.

Its pretty important in two states which do not produce a lot of footy themselves.
Ha...you're really funny....Brisbane never merged with Fitzroy...they picked over the carcass that was Fitzroy and took their best 8 players.

Brown was a father/son pick and had nothing to do with the culture of Fitzroy.

When South moved to Sydney, the majority of their supporters at the time refused to follow them.

I still lived in Melbourne in those days and remember the angst among South supporters when the shift happened.

But don't let me stop you from rambling on...even if you are talking shit.

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Nice move back to the NRL eh?Don't like PARRAMATTA much these days(Blame SUPER LEAGUE and DENIS FITZGERALD for that loss of Image),but can't Blame them for SPEWING THEIR GUTS OUT on FOLAU "doin' the Dirty"on 'em.