Agony & Ecstasy

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 23819
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: Agony & Ecstasy

Post by BenDoolan » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:00 am

Another agonising decision was leaving out Ron Andrews from the 1983 Grand Final. He played during the mediocre 70's and didn't play in a winning final up until the '83 finals series. Got suspended in the 1st Semi Final and missed the Prelim.

Billy Duckworth got injured in that Prelim, so it stood to reason that you'd replace a tough defender with the toughest defender in the game. Instead, Sheeds selected Stephen Copping (a forward).

Not sure what his reasoning was, but it didn't make sense to me at the time. I know for a fact that by picking Ronnie Andrews for the GF, wouldn't have changed the smashing we copped. But I'd bet my life that Colin Robertson wouldn't have won the Norm Smith that day...
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

Sismis
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 12831
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:16 am

Re: Agony & Ecstasy

Post by Sismis » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:18 am

In 93, from when the team was announced to the game itself, I just assumed it would be a late change. I was devastated when he didn't line up.

User avatar
ealesy
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 5550
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:19 pm

Re: Agony & Ecstasy

Post by ealesy » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:51 pm

BenDoolan wrote:
Tory Dickson ignored by our club while playing for our VFL side, ends up playing in an AFL Grand Final this week. All the while we're searching for more forwards. Go figure.

Will there be some stiff players missing selection this week?
Sorry Benny, pretty sure we were planning on picking up both Dickson and Tommy Campbell given their form in our VFL side, however, that off season both Brendan McCartney and Shannon Grant (our VFL coach) moved to the Bulldogs who had their picks before us, and jumped in before us.

User avatar
ealesy
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 5550
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:19 pm

Re: Agony & Ecstasy

Post by ealesy » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:57 pm

BenDoolan wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:Long time ago now, but from memory he faded badly toward the end of the year?
Edit: according to Wikipedia (so who the f*** knows) kickett had 15 disposals total for the 3 finals before the GF.
Facts are;


Dean Wallis gets selected while not playing a single final prior to GF, and only playing 8 games that year.
Wallis earnt his Premiership medallion by taking Mil Hanna out in that Grand Final. Cannot remember a single other thing he did in that game, but that was enough.

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 23819
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: Agony & Ecstasy

Post by BenDoolan » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:11 pm

ealesy wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:Long time ago now, but from memory he faded badly toward the end of the year?
Edit: according to Wikipedia (so who the f*** knows) kickett had 15 disposals total for the 3 finals before the GF.
Facts are;


Dean Wallis gets selected while not playing a single final prior to GF, and only playing 8 games that year.
Wallis earnt his Premiership medallion by taking Mil Hanna out in that Grand Final. Cannot remember a single other thing he did in that game, but that was enough.
Yeah, people often refer to that as justification for his selection. I mean, they could have selected me and I would have taken Kernahan out of the game. It wouldn't justify my selection ahead of someone who's played the whole season, would it?
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 23819
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: Agony & Ecstasy

Post by BenDoolan » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:18 pm

ealesy wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
Tory Dickson ignored by our club while playing for our VFL side, ends up playing in an AFL Grand Final this week. All the while we're searching for more forwards. Go figure.

Will there be some stiff players missing selection this week?
Sorry Benny, pretty sure we were planning on picking up both Dickson and Tommy Campbell given their form in our VFL side, however, that off season both Brendan McCartney and Shannon Grant (our VFL coach) moved to the Bulldogs who had their picks before us, and jumped in before us.
Quite right. We had #59. Good pick up!
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

grassy1
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 6431
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:48 pm

Re: Agony & Ecstasy

Post by grassy1 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:36 am

BenDoolan wrote:
ealesy wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:Long time ago now, but from memory he faded badly toward the end of the year?
Edit: according to Wikipedia (so who the f*** knows) kickett had 15 disposals total for the 3 finals before the GF.
Facts are;


Dean Wallis gets selected while not playing a single final prior to GF, and only playing 8 games that year.
Wallis earnt his Premiership medallion by taking Mil Hanna out in that Grand Final. Cannot remember a single other thing he did in that game, but that was enough.
Yeah, people often refer to that as justification for his selection. I mean, they could have selected me and I would have taken Kernahan out of the game. It wouldn't justify my selection ahead of someone who's played the whole season, would it?
Still,Dean Wallis has walked away with 2 Premierships,Derek None.Unless you count Night Flags.

Derek has been quoted at Grand Final Time and outside of Premiership Re-unions often,until the past year or so,when someone decided to retire the broken record.Maybe Derek twigged about how Damn bitter he had become and decided to move on at last.

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 23819
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: Agony & Ecstasy

Post by BenDoolan » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:55 am

grassy1 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
ealesy wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:Long time ago now, but from memory he faded badly toward the end of the year?
Edit: according to Wikipedia (so who the f*** knows) kickett had 15 disposals total for the 3 finals before the GF.
Facts are;


Dean Wallis gets selected while not playing a single final prior to GF, and only playing 8 games that year.
Wallis earnt his Premiership medallion by taking Mil Hanna out in that Grand Final. Cannot remember a single other thing he did in that game, but that was enough.
Yeah, people often refer to that as justification for his selection. I mean, they could have selected me and I would have taken Kernahan out of the game. It wouldn't justify my selection ahead of someone who's played the whole season, would it?
Still,Dean Wallis has walked away with 2 Premierships,Derek None.Unless you count Night Flags.

Derek has been quoted at Grand Final Time and outside of Premiership Re-unions often,until the past year or so,when someone decided to retire the broken record.Maybe Derek twigged about how Damn bitter he had become and decided to move on at last.
Whether it was Mr Kickett, me or yourself in that situation, I reckon you'd have just cause to be absolutely pissed off with what happened in '93. In my book, it's the biggest c**** act a coach could ever pull. Dropping someone who he thought was good enough to play every single game of the season to just dump them for a love child in the biggest game in a footballer's career.

You can never get over that shit. Especially when it will always be brought up in dispatches over time. And the reason it always gets brought up is because it simply was a c**** act.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

grassy1
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 6431
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:48 pm

Re: Agony & Ecstasy

Post by grassy1 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:10 am

Dropping him was one thing.

Refresh my memory.Sheedy didn't tell him about it right?

Kickett'Kickett found out through other means?!

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 23819
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: Agony & Ecstasy

Post by BenDoolan » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:38 am

grassy1 wrote:Dropping him was one thing.

Refresh my memory.Sheedy didn't tell him about it right?

Kickett'Kickett found out through other means?!
Ah, that's a different story. He did find out through different means. But Sheedy WAS trying to contact him to tell him directly. My mate worked with Kickett at the Monnee Ponds CES. My mate told me Sheedy was ringing the office to speak with Derek during the week but Kickett told my mate "tell him I'm not here" every time.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

mdso
Club Captain
Posts: 2926
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:55 am
Location: Merimbula, Far South Coast of N.SW.

Re: Agony & Ecstasy

Post by mdso » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:36 pm

ealesy wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:Long time ago now, but from memory he faded badly toward the end of the year?
Edit: according to Wikipedia (so who the f*** knows) kickett had 15 disposals total for the 3 finals before the GF.
Facts are;


Dean Wallis gets selected while not playing a single final prior to GF, and only playing 8 games that year.
Wallis earnt his Premiership medallion by taking Mil Hanna out in that Grand Final. Cannot remember a single other thing he did in that game, but that was enough.
That's what he was there to do.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.

User avatar
ealesy
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 5550
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:19 pm

Re: Agony & Ecstasy

Post by ealesy » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:36 am

BenDoolan wrote:
ealesy wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:Long time ago now, but from memory he faded badly toward the end of the year?
Edit: according to Wikipedia (so who the f*** knows) kickett had 15 disposals total for the 3 finals before the GF.
Facts are;


Dean Wallis gets selected while not playing a single final prior to GF, and only playing 8 games that year.
Wallis earnt his Premiership medallion by taking Mil Hanna out in that Grand Final. Cannot remember a single other thing he did in that game, but that was enough.
Yeah, people often refer to that as justification for his selection. I mean, they could have selected me and I would have taken Kernahan out of the game. It wouldn't justify my selection ahead of someone who's played the whole season, would it?
More a tounge in cheek comment Ben.

Derek might have been good enough to be picked in every game that season, but his form was certainly on a downward spiral leading up to the Grand Final and gave the selection committee the ability to axe him.

I don't think it was necessarily the wrong decision to drop him, reckon the wrong decision was more who to replace him with.

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 23819
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: Agony & Ecstasy

Post by BenDoolan » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:05 am

ealesy wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
ealesy wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:Long time ago now, but from memory he faded badly toward the end of the year?
Edit: according to Wikipedia (so who the f*** knows) kickett had 15 disposals total for the 3 finals before the GF.
Facts are;


Dean Wallis gets selected while not playing a single final prior to GF, and only playing 8 games that year.
Wallis earnt his Premiership medallion by taking Mil Hanna out in that Grand Final. Cannot remember a single other thing he did in that game, but that was enough.
Yeah, people often refer to that as justification for his selection. I mean, they could have selected me and I would have taken Kernahan out of the game. It wouldn't justify my selection ahead of someone who's played the whole season, would it?
More a tounge in cheek comment Ben.

Derek might have been good enough to be picked in every game that season, but his form was certainly on a downward spiral leading up to the Grand Final and gave the selection committee the ability to axe him.

I don't think it was necessarily the wrong decision to drop him, reckon the wrong decision was more who to replace him with.
I guess what gets missed in the Kickett discussion is how stiff David Flood was to be dropped following his excellent efforts in the Prelim. Now that that would have been more acceptable if you just had Mark Harvey coming in for Kickett.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

User avatar
boncer34
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 8776
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:14 pm

Re: Agony & Ecstasy

Post by boncer34 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:14 am

Yeah Benny Kickett was getting dropped one way or the other according to my old man. He maintains Flood was robbed but Kickett was always gone for Harvs.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just better.

User avatar
hop
Club Captain
Posts: 3475
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:41 am
Location: Napier Street

Re: Agony & Ecstasy

Post by hop » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:41 pm

Just caught up with this thread.............

Yes indeed Kickett did provide a great many inspirational moments in the 93 season and like all who miss out on a G.F. berth - was stiff.

However, my mail from an excellent source at the time was that in the lead up to the P.F. and G.F. Derek was doing more 'celebrating' than 'training' and was counselled on more than occasion about the bad example he was setting for a very young and inexperienced team. His refusal to take Sheedy's call (which was well documented at the time) is testament to the fact that he knew what was coming.........

We won - winners are grinners!

Derek's attitude and commitment to the club from that time forward says more about him than Sheedy.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 23819
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: Agony & Ecstasy

Post by BenDoolan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:02 am

hop wrote:Just caught up with this thread.............

Yes indeed Kickett did provide a great many inspirational moments in the 93 season and like all who miss out on a G.F. berth - was stiff.

However, my mail from an excellent source at the time was that in the lead up to the P.F. and G.F. Derek was doing more 'celebrating' than 'training' and was counselled on more than occasion about the bad example he was setting for a very young and inexperienced team. His refusal to take Sheedy's call (which was well documented at the time) is testament to the fact that he knew what was coming.........

We won - winners are grinners!

Derek's attitude and commitment to the club from that time forward says more about him than Sheedy.
Bomber Thompson approached the match Committee and told them he and players wanted Derek to play. Makes no difference now, but that was a fact.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

grassy1
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 6431
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:48 pm

Re: Agony & Ecstasy

Post by grassy1 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:00 pm

True.but we Won the Flag with the 20 that were picked.

Maybe Dean Wallis should reflect on how lucky he may have been and if it's not too late,retract his claims.

User avatar
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend
Posts: 23819
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Re: Agony & Ecstasy

Post by BenDoolan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:37 pm

Patrick Dangerfield may just suffer the "Nathan Buckleys" in regards to leaving a club that ends up achieving the ultimate success.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

grassy1
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 6431
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:48 pm

Re: Agony & Ecstasy

Post by grassy1 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:22 pm

Same thought crossed my mind Ben,when the Camera panned across his Glum face.

Still,it was the family that got him back home,........wasn't it?

User avatar
gringo
Club Captain
Posts: 2691
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:13 am

Re: Agony & Ecstasy

Post by gringo » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:11 pm

hop wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:41 pm


However, my mail from an excellent source at the time was that in the lead up to the P.F. and G.F. Derek was doing more 'celebrating' than 'training' and was counselled on more than occasion about the bad example he was setting for a very young and inexperienced team. His refusal to take Sheedy's call (which was well documented at the time) is testament to the fact that he knew what was coming.........
Lkely the moment his fate was sealed...if you want Sheedy to do something, ask for the exact opposite.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest