New AFL round for 2018

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

New AFL round for 2018

Post by s'dreams »

Just heard that Gil is proposing a matrimonial fidelity round next year.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Re: New AFL round for 2018

Post by Crazyman »

s'dreams wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:01 pm Just heard that Gil is proposing a matrimonial fidelity round next year.
What, not the Chicks and Dicks round? :lol:
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Are things unravelling at AWFULL House,or are latest events there,a mere blip on their Radar?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Am I the only one who doesn't get why they have to lose their jobs because they had extra marital affairs?
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Were the tango partners Under - age?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

grassy1 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:55 am Were the tango partners Under - age?
They are adults
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Ok,thanks for that info.

Have held back on this one,stickin' der boots into AWFULL.Besides,my and other True West Aussies' Issues with them,are on an Administrative Level,not people's personal lives,unless they're drunk as skunks behind the wheel or something else extreme!
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

BenDoolan wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:28 am Am I the only one who doesn't get why they have to lose their jobs because they had extra marital affairs?
No you aren't the only one. There seems to be an unwritten rule in society now that regardless of how well you can do a job once you become a senior exec, your social morals are meant to be impeccable.

Being a hedonist, I say f*** that (pun intended) :wink:
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

I think there is something about workplace relationships in supervisor/subordinate roles under law? I'm not sure, but seriously - to have 3 children and one on the way, and to cheat on your mrs - well, No sympathy from me.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

The only thing that is truly black and white about the nightmare fortnight for the AFL and its CEO Gillon McLachlan is that, whichever way you cut it, it's a PR disaster.

I confess to being frustrated at the way in which such delicate issues that require a lot of soul-searching and adroit decision-making get reduced to a few memes and cries of "Off with their heads!" And yet I say that as an organisational psychologist passionate about good culture.

The two men who departed after appearing to have had extra-marital relationships with co-workers, Simon Lethlean and Richard Simkiss, have either resigned or been compelled to resign, but who knows – other than the inner sanctum at the AFL – if either was sacked as reported by some in the media? To say so with no knowledge of the facts might be par for the course headline-grabbing but possibly false.

If their CEO told them he had lost trust and confidence in them and they had to go, they may still have resigned. In workplace relations, the "Resign or I'll sack you" is not automatically unfair if someone has committed misconduct. Ah, but was it misconduct?

There was at the time of writing no suggestion of any allegation of wrongdoing from either of the two women against the AFL execs, so there can be seemingly no legitimate charge of sexual harassment. No one has talked about the existence of an intimate relationships policy (yes, some organisations do have them), so they cannot have breached it.

Earlier in the week a journalist said someone was sufficiently concerned about one of the illicit relationships they felt compelled to report it. But what if that person missed out on a promotion the week before and one of the execs chaired the selection panel?

The men have lost their jobs due to poor choice and human fallibility. The shock to my sensibilities and possibly yours is both a moral one and a cultural one, which is why the AFL CEO had to accept their resignations (and may have asked for them).

Lethlean and Simkiss presumably knew what they were doing. But so did the women. Now, of course, it could be argued the women were seduced by the power imbalance that existed in such relationships and this is probably the most risky element for an organisation. Assuming the women didn't use their relationship to leverage for position or other advantage then the organisation was not necessarily compromised.

If the men didn't afford the women special privileges or make gross errors of judgment because of the relationship, again, the organisation was not automatically exposed. McLachlan has reportedly "reached out" to the two women. But at the risk of being accused of victim-bashing, can we agree the two consenting women involved weren't the victims?

In this instance the victims are the partners and children of those who strayed and the AFL brand; scarred by depictions of three managers in two weeks as impulsive, seemingly thoughtless and emotionally immature.

Twenty years in workplace justice has shown me that office affairs are divisive. Other staff can stress about favouritism and pillow talk that leaves them feeling excluded and isolated.

In so many other ways, the AFL right now (think AFLW and equalisation) is flying.

It is sad but true that exceptional performance of individuals can so easily be eclipsed by their conduct.

Leanne Faraday-Brash is principal of Brash Consulting and author of Vulture Cultures.
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Interesting article.

A pity she didn't see that the AFL Brand was a Victim,because it's Custodians made it so?

A Brand also Suffers,when an Issue is handled poorly,like it is swept under the carpet.Or an organisation attempts to suppress a story.You just know it has clearly something to hide.

A little episode referring to a Certain Injunction comes Flooding back!
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

BenDoolan wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:48 am
The only thing that is truly black and white about the nightmare fortnight for the AFL and its CEO Gillon McLachlan is that, whichever way you cut it, it's a PR disaster.

Leanne Faraday-Brash is principal of Brash Consulting and author of Vulture Cultures.
Indeed. It's f****** Gilligan wanting to appear "strong" regarding a "moral issue" but actually being a complete twat over nothing.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

As an aside, if the brass get the arse, do the other parties also lose thier positions? What's good for the goose...
mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

One of these guys not sure which one was also a Director of another Sporting Company connected to or with the AFL has also been sacked from there as well. (which bloke was on a reported $900K) Not asked politely to leave but told to go. There is more to this than has been reported and the AFL did try to cover it up and failed. A simple affair happens frequently in the workplace - this, it seems, was more than that.

Affairs which are discreet can go on for years and those which are not - someone usually catches the pair out in a very indiscrete position and I'm not talking about just a power imbalance. Always sad for all the families and bloody hard to recreate those good times again.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.