Biffs,Bumps and Brawlers

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Biffs,Bumps and Brawlers

Post by grassy1 »

After watching the above(Parts 1 and 2),reckon it’s time for the Bearded Burbler to give us Number 3,16 years on.

Have enjoyed watching some mindless Violence,over and over.Gee,especially seeing Merv Neagle dish it out.Wow!
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Re: Biffs,Bumps and Brawlers

Post by grassy1 »

Thanks to last week,I bring this out of the Vault and start watching it over and over.

There were several incidents,punchups,buffs,bumps and brawlers of course,but a few of the worst offenders included
the following,.....

Rod Grinter
Leigh Mathews
Robert Dipierdomenico
Dermott Brereton
Robert Muir
Chris Lewis(he liked us,eh?!)
Lazar Vidovic
Greg Williams
Tony Lockett
John Nicholls
Mark MacLure
Syd Jackson
Des Tuddenham
Denis Banks
Roger Merrett
Merv Neagle
Phil Carman
Mick Conlon
Ted Whitten
Tony Liberatore
Gary Ablett Snr
Mark Jackson
Mark Jackson again
Wayne Carey
Mick Martyn
Glen Archer
Brent Crosswell
Arnold Briedis
Gavin Wanganeen
Jack Dyer
Neil Balme
Kevin Sheedy
Barry Hall
Barry Hall again
Andrew Dunkley(we haven’t forgot you,Pal!)
Tony Lockett again
John Worsfold

Bad Incidents included
Steven Silvagni being flattened badly,John Bourke’s bad day,Kristian Bardsley,Neville Bruns’ busted jaw at the hands of Leigh Mathews,Alan Stoneham being knocked out by Dipper and many more.

Gaff made a Bad Mistake last week,which was completely out of character for a Fair Player,but there was several nasty acts in the decades before,that deserved more,but often got less.Further nominations welcome. :wink:
Last edited by grassy1 on Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Bob Chitty
Vin Waite
Jim Krakouer
Ken Hands
Don Scott
Dale Weightman
Gary Hocking
Scott Turner(we haven’t forgotten you,You....).

Bad Incidents
Kevin O’Keefe’s Shirtfront On Neil Sachse,which Left Sachse a Quadriplegic.

The Worst result of All Incidents,even if Dr Cordner made Captain Blood think he killed one.

Liberatore On Knights,leaving our future Coach very Bloody!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

grassy1 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:35 pm Bob Chitty
Vin Waite
Jim Krakouer
Ken Hands
Don Scott
Dale Weightman
Gary Hocking
Scott Turner(we haven’t forgotten you,You....).

Bad Incidents
Kevin O’Keefe’s Shirtfront On Neil Sachse,which Left Sachse a Quadriplegic.

The Worst result of All Incidents,even if Dr Cordner made Captain Blood think he killed one.

Liberatore On Knights,leaving our future Coach very Bloody!
I think you’ll find the Neil Sachse incident was just a poor unfortunate accident. Sachse just gathered the ball and was running off when Sachse unfortunately tripped / ducked at the moment O’Keefe came in to bump / tackle him.
Last edited by BenDoolan on Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Well yeah,I called it an Incident,but I suppose you can’t really include Kevin O’Keefe as a brawler.

Out of his control as well,was a clearance brawl between Fitzroy and East Perth for his services.

On a lighter note,he was known to indulge in a big Lunch of Baked Beans on Saturdays.I take it lighters were banned in the Changerooms around Kevin for a few years. :lol:
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

grassy1 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:33 pm Well yeah,I called it an Incident,but I suppose you can’t really include Kevin O’Keefe as a brawler.

Out of his control as well,was a clearance brawl between Fitzroy and East Perth for his services.

On a lighter note,he was known to indulge in a big Lunch of Baked Beans on Saturdays.I take it lighters were banned in the Changerooms around Kevin for a few years. :lol:
The sad footage...

Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Got any nominations of your own,Ben?
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

In an updated list, Hall on Staker, Hall against Roos, Lloyd on Sewell and Gaff from last week...
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

There were a few who tonked poor old Gary Lyon on the scone,eh?That was eons before Gary and Mrs,.... :-" So Why was he picked on?

Steven O’Dwyer was a bit of a Hothead,including grabbing an Umpire on the back of the neck.I wonder if he copped a Suspension for that?
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

BenDoolan wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:36 pm
grassy1 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:33 pm Well yeah,I called it an Incident,but I suppose you can’t really include Kevin O’Keefe as a brawler.

The sad footage...

this should be the footage shown as why not to duck.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Was it ever mentioned what a Melbourne Member or someone at the MCG said,after Todd Viney showed the Umpire/s his bitten finger,in his wrestle with Chris Lewis,in 1991?

How was this missed?

Like a witchity Grub!

:o #-o :roll:
Last edited by grassy1 on Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Robbie MAD DOG Muir

Essendunny
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

FootBRAWL

Essendunny
desmondo
Regular Senior Player

Post by desmondo »

Maybe it`s just me (being an old fart), but I miss the good old biffs and even some of the brawls that used to happen, the adrenalin rush and excitment when both teams got into it was amazing, AND 'normally' no matter how big a melee there had been, the damage wasn`t too bad.

But I totally agree they had to stop the king-hitters behind the play, like Duncan f***'n Wright and Barry Hall and co, but the game has become ho-hum namby-pamby, where you can`t look at some-one the wrong way, or even say something that might be construed as 'derogatory' or will you get fined. :-$ :-# How the f*** are you supposed to put some-one off their game if you can`t even look at them funny?. ](*,) ](*,) It`s not really THAT bad, but, you get my gist right?.

I`m thinking that if the AFL fined ANY player that punched another player, let`s say a minimum $50.000 (and it should be on a sliding scale for the more severe the punch the more it costs the player) for each and 'every' punch, not many will be throwing punches around you would think. And also the player doing the punching should be automatically suspended, again on a sliding scale, depending on the severity of the punch, (or what-ever act caused injury to another player), and as well (as an extra), I think the the offending player should automatically MISS the game next time those two teams meet.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Just wondering if Martin Pike in his Fitzroy days ever got pinged for his deliberate slap on the Ump’s thigh!

Might have just been before Williams in 97 and was far worse than Diesel’s shove on Andrew Coates.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Speaking of Diesel,what exactly did he say to Darren Goldspink to get himself reported,when a Certain number 22 pinged him for “Holding the Ball”? :lol:
desmondo
Regular Senior Player

Post by desmondo »

Speaking of Biffing, Bumping and Brawling, the best most recent one in my opinion was the 2000 Derby between eagles and dockers.

Very exciting to watch them go at it.

Lots of punches thrown but not all that many landing, luckily for those doing the throwing, well worth a watch if you want a bit of a rush :)
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Dale Kickett and Phil Read grabbed the Headlines for the Brawl and reckon ‘ole Clive(Waterhouse)put in a career best AFL performance with 7 Goals.Every Dog has his day and Clive had it here!
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

It’s been done to death,but a few months down the track 40 years back,Fabulous Phil Carman had his showdown with Boundary Umpire Graeme Carberry,after tangling with poor old Sidey(Gary Sidebottom - RIP),earning a 16 and 4 week suspension.

About 30 years ago(I think),Rowdy Roddy Grinter put Daisy Williams down with a nice old stray elbow. #-o
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

grassy1 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:39 am It’s been done to death,but a few months down the track 40 years back,Fabulous Phil Carman had his showdown with Boundary Umpire Graeme Carberry,after tangling with poor old Sidey(Gary Sidebottom - RIP),earning a 16 and 4 week suspension.

About 30 years ago(I think),Rowdy Roddy Grinter put Daisy Williams down with a nice old stray elbow. #-o
Imagine that happening today. You’d have to say it’s game over. 16 weeks seems pretty light on!