Perth Demons 2018

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Re: Perth Demons 2018

Post by grassy1 »

Oops,so much for expanding on things and right now,I’m not about to do it.

Suffice to say,we Won again yesterday,taking us to 5 - 7,which doesn’t look great,but for us(like Jum Highs stopping a belter),it’s a bloody miracle.With deference to Doug Walters.

We lost to West Perth by 21 points,but never looked like Winning.We best Swan Districts by 24 points and we’re never headed.That doesn’t mean though we never looked like losing.

We still could have coughed it up,but I’m pleased to say,we generally answered every challenge.

I was a little bit annoyed when we didn’t ram the advantage home at the end,particularly when we kicked the ball backwards,coughing up a couple of late goals,instead of pumping the ball forward,for at least a boundary throw in from a forward line contest.

Always fun sitting where I am,hearing the Cosches go off.Earl Spalding had plenty to say,whilst Adam Pickering(SD)was generally quiet,but did get worked up about a couple of things,but saved his sprays for the change room apparently!

One funny moment up Top was hearing the Footy Radio Commentator let one slip when Michael Bennell kicked a nice Sausage Roll through the Big sticks,saying Muchael Bennell has kicked that one out of his Arse!Oops!

Beautifully put if you’re a spectator,perhaps not quite right OnAir.Never mind!

It reminded me of Bob Uecker’s Harry Doyle in Major League,saying Goddam OnAir.

“You can’t say Goddam on the air!”

“Don’t worry,nobody’s listening anyway!” :lol:

Some notable performances came from Michael Sinclair,marshalling the backline superbly.

Christian Eyres worked tirelessly in the Ruck and sometimes from the floor,making it difficult for Swans to get the Centre breaks.

Cody Ninyette,who learnt a thing or 2 from his downer against West Perth,kicking 5.2 yesterday.

There were many others,but Mr Reliable Cody Leggett,went about his work like a quiet Assassin,racking up 27 disposals,11 Tackles and no doubt some much valued 1%ers.

Onwards to 2 Home Games against Peelmantle and East Fremantle.

Lord knows how Fremantle are going to handle their season and that of their Reserves Team,but we should just concentrate on who we pick and how we go about the next Game.

Go Demons!
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Another Win,steady as she goes.

This time by 8 points,after storming home in the Final Quarter against Peelmantle,4.7 - 1.1,albeit with a good breeze from the Nor-West.

He wasn’in our best players,but he should have been.We must be trying to hide him,but Ben,your boy Leggett just quietly racked up 32 disposals,13 Inside 50’s and 5 tackles and a g’day from a former Junior Coach last week.

Plenty of other contributions including Muchael Sinclair,Christian Eyres,Clint Jones and Brandt Colledge for starters.

I guess the pleasing thing about this was our boys never gave up on a trying day,trying to break down the Lyon blueprint of ultra defence.

We spent most of the day,getting sprung on the counterattack,when we didn’t play smart enough footy earlier on,trying to unpick Peelmantle’s stacked backline.

Old Bomber Ben Howlett popped in and out of play,but thankfully he didn’t hurt us too much.

We are now 6 and 7,which ordinarily doesn’t sound too convincing,but we are sitting 4th,fighting out the Final 2 spots of the Final 5.

Gotta keep Winning,especially the next 3,before things really get stern against South Fremantle and Subiaco.

Only 1400 at the game by 1 estimate,but it seemed like most of the crowd were in the 2 Bars after the game,full of beaming Demons supporters and Michael Johnson,who played 49 games for us(including 1 with Buddy)before his AFL Career.

Our Coach certainly made it his business to make him feel welcome again. 8)
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Another game,another Win.

Just like Essendon,our opposition came from the Port,in this case,the Grand old Club East Fremantle.

And just like the Dome,we had some determined opposition that stayed in the game until we broke away in the 2nd Half.

In our case at Lathlain Park,the Final Margin being 41 points,with a Goal after The Final Siren,from deep on the outer Flank(where The Bar On The Hill is now,Red).

Our Mr Reliable Cody Leggett was his usual workmanlike self,with 21 disposals and some 1%ers,to break up a few congested passages of play,plus some controlled aggression to let the opposition know about a thing or 2.

Love It!

Plenty of other players did their bit for the Demons,with Kristian Cary really stepping latelyup to add some spice to the forward line with 5 Goals.

Ex Saint Spencer White has had his share of critics,with frequent injuries and a perception of softness.

But he is now starting to fulfill his role in the team,providing a key target,but also his presence brings others around him into the picture.

At last,we have a functioning forward line,not seen over a season since the days of Brett Spinks,Winston Abraham,Jermaine Davis and Joe Proctor and it’s great to see.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

.......continuing,as I just finished on the phone after a lengthy chat.

Others to do well included Michael Sinclair,Clint Jones,Brant Colledge,Corey Yeo,Corey Byrne and Mitch Henderson.

Ressies are Winning,this time by 47 points,sitting 4th,but in a logjam of teams sitting on 7 - 7,withEast Perth sitting on 7 - 6.We play the Royals in 2 Crunch games next week.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Lost a Heartbreaker to East Perth Eagles by 3 points,with a Goal after the Siren,albeit from an East Perth lad,Kyle Anderson who loves kicking Goals against us.

We were quite ordinary on the 1st 3 Quarters,due to poor kicking for Goal and with the Game slipping away from us,one feared the season was too.

We stormed back in The Final Quarter,hitting the front late.However,a Free Kick to East Perth from the Bounce,as opposed to Holding the Ball for 1 C.Leggett,set the wheels in motion for East Perth to pin us under for the next 2 minutes,until Anderson marked from 40 out,with seconds to go.

Siren blows,it’s all down to him and he Nails it,darn it!

Had we Won,we would have been 3 games clear in 4th.Now,we’re only 1 game Clear,with a Bye coming up.

We still have our Fate in our own hands,with us and Claremont having the Bye,before squaring off at Lathlain Park on Saturday August 11,2018.

I can’t wait!

In a twist later,our Colts stole Victory by 2 points,with a Goal on the last kick of the Game,with 45 seconds to go.

With the Quarters being 25 Minutes Straight(barring stretchers),the ball took forever to get back to the middle,where the Final Siren beating the Bounce.

One of players got decked by a Royal,hoping to spark a Retaliatory response and a Free Kick in response,but no one took the bait and none of the Umpires seemed to notice,which I found most curious.

It was great to see the smiles return to the boys faces afterwards after a Distrastrous 9 weeks,which still sees them in the Race for a Finals berth.

But some earnest discussion took place about where they were and where they want to take things from there,followed by Awards in the changerooms in the absence of the Colts Luncheons,due to the night fixture,no doubt aranged for those poor talent scouts who find it too hard to get out of bed early,the poor dears!
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

This is great news. An old relative of ours attributes the resurgence to Tapper Rosbender.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Sorry Windy,it’s too late in the day.What are you on about? :shock:
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

grassy1 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:43 am Sorry Windy,it’s too late in the day.What are you on about? :shock:
Sorry grassy. A relative was with us yesterday (gone back t WA today) who read what I was reading last night. He stated that Perth Demons resurgence is due to club legend Tapper Rosbender involvement in recent times. Sorry I didn’t elaborate.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

That must be his nickname for Wim.Our last Premiership Simpson Medallist,though I do wonder if he would have Won it,had the leg he threw out late in the game,connected with someone? :o
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

2 Key outs for Claremont tomorrow,one of them a BIG out,prolific Ball getter,Machine and Sandiver Medallist,Kane Mitchell.

For us,we lose a significant player through Suspension in Cody Ninyette,for the 2nd time this year.

I wonder if he’ll cop a Derigistration for a 3rd Suspension in 1 season?As just an everyday WAFL player,he would.

But as a Potential Draftee,like another player sitting on 2 Suspensions(Mathew Parker,South Fremantle),if a 3rd Suspension happens,I just wonder if AWFULL intervene and waive the Derigistration?

I wouldn’t wish that on either player,but it would be an interesting test case,should it happen.

If either of them cop a 3rd Suspension this Season and the WA Football Commission lets it through to the keeper,they should Dump the Deregistration Rule altogether.

Chris Billings might laugh at such an irony,being a derigistered player himself,but them’s the breaks sometimes I’m afraid.I don’t think any worse of him naturally,him being a Demons player,as I know how it was onfield with him.

He was a back man who was a fast runner.Unfortunately,fast runners aren’t able to put the brakes on in a hurry and he often clattered into his opposition,resulting in reports.

Naturally opposition supporters wanted him shot,but the incidents he caused,were rarely caused out of malice,just lack of Stopping coordination.Umpires loved him though,as he kept their books full and in the end,he had enough of their Vindictive behaviour and called it quits unfortunately. :(
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

I’m too depressed to talk about it,but we blew it yesterday,losing to Claremont by 46 points.in front of a partisan Home Crowd.

Ressies Won by 52 points,which was pleasing to the eye,after their Flogging 2 weeks earlier and the Colts blew their opportunity to advance up the Ladder,losing by 7 points. #-o
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

grassy1 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:53 am That must be his nickname for Wim.Our last Premiership Simpson Medallist,though I do wonder if he would have Won it,had the leg he threw out late in the game,connected with someone? :o
Yeah, it must be. Kept mentioning the name Tapper so I assumed that’s what he went by. Unable to verify the origins as he has gone back. Wim sounds like an odd nickname too.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

If I remember correctly,Wim was short for Wilhelm.