2018 AFL Finals Series

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: 2018 AFL Finals Series

Post by BenDoolan »

Had to laugh at the banner disintegrating before the players ran out. Haha.

Then the Pies runner provides a great shepherd for Yeo to mark & goal. Hahaha.

๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ
๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚
Essendunny
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

Wow, what a game! Great ending. Couldnโ€™t have been scripted any better.

The way Collingwood started, I almost thought it was game over at quarter time. De Goey is some sort of player. Stephenson looked like veteran out there in the first quarter. The first 5 goals of the mAtch to Collingwood. Then A couple of late ones to Eagles just gave them a sniff.

Both Cox and Darling were putrid in the first half. Then Darling was enormous in that 3rd quarter. Cox also came into it pretty well.

Luke Shuey was awesome. McGovern was huge in defence. That bit of play where he soared over the pack and got the ball moving up to Sheed was match saving / match winning. Awesome bit of play. The goal by Sheed was sensational. Howโ€™s that to have as a memory for the rest of your life!

There was one monumental stuff up by Darling in the goal square that could have been nasty had Collingwood rebounded. Luckily for Darling, it wasnโ€™t the case.

Wonder if Eddie kissed McLachlan after the game?
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Windy_Hill wrote: โ†‘Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:33 pm Gf Loss no. 27

2 flags in 60 years

Gotta love those โ€œwobblesโ€

But.....as an Essendon supporter, who am i to point fingers. We are the definition of mediocrity
This. I'd rather be a losing grand finalist than 11th.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

nudder12 wrote: โ†‘Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:35 am

2 flags in 60 years

But.....as an Essendon supporter, who am i to point fingers. We are the definition of mediocrity
Really? f*** that!

I was completely shattered and gutted in 1983. Took me months to recover. Probably didnโ€™t really recover until 29th September 1984 at 5:30PM.

1990 was a deadset nightmare. I wanted to get out of Victoria for 12 months. Horrendous feeling.

2001 wasnโ€™t so bad as we won the year before. But still hard to take. My emotions were all over the place at that time anyway as I lost my job a couple of weeks before and I had a month old baby on board. Put things into perspective.

But for me, Iโ€™d rather finish 11th than lose a Grand Final with 1 minute 45 seconds left on the clock...
Essendunny
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

BenDoolan wrote: โ†‘Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:04 am

2 flags in 60 years

Really? f*** that!

I was completely shattered and gutted in 1983. Took me months to recover. Probably didnโ€™t really recover until 29th September 1984 at 5:30PM.

1990 was a deadset nightmare. I wanted to get out of Victoria for 12 months. Horrendous feeling.

2001 wasnโ€™t so bad as we won the year before. But still hard to take. My emotions were all over the place at that time anyway as I lost my job a couple of weeks before and I had a month old baby on board. Put things into perspective.

But for me, Iโ€™d rather finish 11th than lose a Grand Final with 1 minute 45 seconds left on the clock...
Yeah, really.
I'd rather have the extra 4 weeks in my season and the prospect (and burning determination) of winning next year.
Feeling pain is better than feeling nothing from being a mediocre team.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

nudder12 wrote: โ†‘Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:17 am
BenDoolan wrote: โ†‘Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:04 am

2 flags in 60 years

Really? f*** that!

Yeah, really.
I'd rather have the extra 4 weeks in my season and the prospect (and burning determination) of winning next year.
Feeling pain is better than feeling nothing from being a mediocre team.
Iโ€™d rather have a burning ambition of winning next year from 11th than the absolute gutting of losing a close Grand Final any day of the week.

LOL, Pie fans are going to spew for months. Hopefully, years :lol:

Thereโ€™s no guarantee theyโ€™ll be back there. Just ask Adelaide fans.
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

True,but I reckon Buckley might steer clear of what happened to the Crows from within.

I think a lot of Coaches will,even if Pyle was taking the good old,old fashioned approach that was probably all too hard,for those precious petals at Crowland. :lol:
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

grassy1 wrote: โ†‘Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:01 am True,but I reckon Buckley might steer clear of what happened to the Crows from within.

I think a lot of Coaches will,even if Pyle was taking the good old,old fashioned approach that was probably all too hard,for those precious petals at Crowland. :lol:
To think the Eagles won from 5 goals down without Naitanui, Gaff (and a couple of others), is something to think about. They can obviously get better next year.

Tigers will lick their wounds and want revenge from being bundled out. Theyโ€™ll most likely have Tom Lynch kicking goals next year.

GWS, who knows, might stop choking.

Demons, will they take the next step?

Like I said, there are no guarantees.
Essendunny
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

BenDoolan wrote: โ†‘Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:34 am
grassy1 wrote: โ†‘Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:01 am True,but I reckon Buckley might steer clear of what happened to the Crows from within.

To think the Eagles won from 5 goals down without Naitanui, Gaff (and a couple of others), is something to think about. They can obviously get better next year.

Tigers will lick their wounds and want revenge from being bundled out. Theyโ€™ll most likely have Tom Lynch kicking goals next year.

It shows the difference a really good coach and strategist can have. After 1/4 time, the Eagles shut down the Collingwood forwards especially Varcoe, shut down Sidebottom & Pendlebury and made Grundy impotent despite his dominance in the ruck.

The Eagles were always coming after 1/4 time. You could just sense it.

As a side note, I was especially amazed at the number of kids and babies that the Eagles players have ...
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

What impressed me was how they kept composed even though the way Collingwood started.

Also a special mention to Will Schofield. He was enormous many times during the game. I recall he started way behind a Collingwood forward running into an open goal and ran him down.

It was amazing the amount of points they kicked in the last quarter. I was worried it would come be to haunt them but that last passage of play - McGovern to Vardy to Ryan to Sheed was one of the best clutch moments of footy I have ever witnessed.
Menzie!! โค๏ธ

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

BenDoolan wrote: โ†‘Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:34 am

Yeah Ben,I acknowledged that.I merely pointed out what Buckley and Co might avoid doing,what the Crows did,that was a big part of unraveling their season(as old fashioned as I might seem).

On a different note,how is poor old Eddie shaping up?Has he kept calm or lashed out?

He Must know he has presided over 4 Grand Final Losses for 1 Lousy Flag.2 if you countthe Night Win jag over us.Plus a Draw if he really wants to stretch it.How many Wooden Spoons had he collected?One or 2?Any advances on that? 8) :twisted: :lol:
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Haha, f*** off Leigh Matthews ๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿผ

Itโ€™s a beautiful thing. And Iโ€™ll just say that the free kick was there. It just means the loss is even more painful :lol:

๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ
๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿผ
Essendunny
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

BenDoolan wrote: โ†‘Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:46 pm Haha, f*** off Leigh Matthews ๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿผ

Itโ€™s a beautiful thing. And Iโ€™ll just say that the free kick was there. It just means the loss is even more painful :lol:

๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿผ
Bannister called it a 50/50 because the pies player also blocked Rioli from getting into the contest.

At worst, it was an even up for the mark not given 3 minutes earlier.

Oh ... and by the way... Leigh Matthews has turned into a sooky-la-la ... any wonder Brisbane has turned to shit.

What was even funnier was Stephenson appealing for a free because the runner got in his way... or the Pies back player who appealed for a 50 when he kicked it into the back of (I think) Rioli.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

BenDoolan wrote: โ†‘Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:46 pm Haha, f*** off Leigh Matthews ๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ–•๐Ÿผ

Oh yeah. Great to see someone else get shafted for a change and particularly the filth :D :D
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

In my books Rioli was the one getting blocked :-({|=
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

MH_Bomber wrote: โ†‘Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:25 pm What impressed me was how they kept composed even though the way Collingwood started.

Also a special mention to Will Schofield. He was enormous many times during the game. I recall he started way behind a Collingwood forward running into an open goal and ran him down.

It was amazing the amount of points they kicked in the last quarter. I was worried it would come be to haunt them but that last passage of play - McGovern to Vardy to Ryan to Sheed was one of the best clutch moments of footy I have ever witnessed.
Yep, all true.
Essendunny
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Both teams were impressive - but the best result happened in the end.. I'd rather the Priemership be on the other side of the Nullabor than in the hands of Collingwood, Richmond or Melbourne.

What this all says to me, is that it's gunna be f***ing difficult to get a top 4 birth next year.
I can't see Collingwood and Melbourne not hurting over their respective results and stepping up again - and we all know how good Richmond and The Weagles are.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

What a magnificent day it is today. Sensational weather, Iโ€™m not at work, and Collingwood lost the Grand. Lifeโ€™s good.
Essendunny
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

BenDoolan wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:42 pm What a magnificent day it is today. Sensational weather, Iโ€™m not at work, and Collingwood lost the Grand. Lifeโ€™s good.
Has you week got better? :lol:
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Windy Hille wrote: โ†‘Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:41 am
BenDoolan wrote: โ†‘Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:42 pm What a magnificent day it is today. Sensational weather, Iโ€™m not at work, and Collingwood lost the Grand. Lifeโ€™s good.
Has you week got better? :lol:
Oh yes, each morning I check the headlines to see if there is any Collingwood hysterical celebrations. There isnโ€™t. What a fantastic day again :lol:

While Iโ€™m sitting having my coffee, I keep watching a replay of the last 2 minutes of the GF. Maaaaaaagnificent.
Essendunny