WAFL Season Bouncedown on Saturday July 18

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

WAFL Season Bouncedown on Saturday July 18

Post by grassy1 »

Well,I’m as happy as the proverbial Pig in Shit,having given the season away twice.

Once when AWFULL intervened before we could spit the ordinary spit and the second time when I myself thought,no way we can get it started again,so I’ll just settle for old WAFL and AFL footage on You Tube,thanks kindly in large part to Ben and friends here.

But with Covid19 bedded down,but never beaten for now,we have managed to salvage something from the season,with all systems go from July 18 and perhaps only 1 round of Scratch Matches.

Who knows how this season will pan out,but bugger it,let’s see what happens and how far it goes.Hopefully there is not another outbreak in Western Australian,otherwise it’s all over Red Rover.

Will keep you guys posted on Results and how the Red and Black Army go this year.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Re: WAFL Season Bouncedown on Saturday July 18

Post by grassy1 »

Peel Thunder 9.6 60 v PERTH 10.10 70
Demons outlast persistent Home Team.Talls make the difference in the forward line.

Colts
Peel Thunder 10.11 71 v PERTH 10.16 76
Demons come back from the brink,to steal it with an After the Siren Goal.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Breaking News -

Subiaco LOSE a League Game.

Not so Breaking News -

One of the Usual Suspects Capable of doing so,did it!

Claremont.

Unlucky Non Draftee,Jai Bolton overcame a slight injury problem to play his part in Subi’s downfall.

South Fremantle Flog East Fremantle in 2020’s Only Fremantle Derby by 95 points.

West Perth win a defensive Arm wrestle to outlast Swan Districts at Bassendean Oval.
Last edited by grassy1 on Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

Good start there grasby. Could be a good season ahead.

Did you ever end up finding out about Willie from your mate? Every now and then it pops into my head...
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Willie Dick?

No,but I could ask someone who knows the Noongar Community much better than I do.

Refresh my memory about the context of our discussion please Windy,then I’ll ask him later next week when I next see him.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

2 Losses,1 Win.

Importantly,it was the League Team that Won 14.4 88 to East Perth’s 10.7 67 by 21 points.It was a good game,where the Royals certainly threw out the challenge,after the Demons skipped away to a 5 Goal lead(with the Northerly breeze)at Quarter Time.

There seemed to be many contributors to both sides,but again Perth have been blessed by the fact that the Colts system is a little different this year and we get to see just how good Logan McDonald really is.He only had 15 disposals,but gee he can take a mark and sometimes just pluck ‘em from nowhere,one of which just kept us out of reach of East Perth when the Royals were pressing hard in the last quarter,to get within a kick.

I wouldn’t say Logan is anything like your Paul Salmon,but gee it’s good to have this kid on our side. :D

Perhaps we were a touch lucky in the end,as we did get a fair rub of the Umpires’ Green,particularly with some somewhat dicey decisions going our way on the interpretation of Deliberate Out of Bounds.

Add the fact that East Perth really did press us hard all the way,but perhaps the over commitment at times lead to mistakes that cost them promising attacks.One kid,an African called Sebit Kuek,tried very hard,but just couldn’t take a trick,often dropping marks.I’m sure he’ll learn soon enough to get his game better,but East Perth should persevere with him at League Level,to see if he can improve.

Another contentious point was the excess of Time On,caused none other by 7Mate,constantly making the Umpires wait with many Centre Bounces,in particular to start the Final Quarter,which did NOT get missed in the remark section of the Time Sheet,let me assure you! [-X

It’s probably not a new phenomenon I know,but it’s Very,Very Annoying!

Even more annoying was the BS we got fed by the WA Football Commission,why we had to have 16 Minute Quarters,when the 2 AFL Clubs in WA had separated themselves from the WAFL Completely this year.To keep in line with AFL Rules!

Absolute Garbage!It was to satisfy Channel 7’s demands and schedule,to fit in with their programming.And what do think 7Mate raced off to,whilst the players were heading up the Race?

Border Security Force!

On a Saturday Arvo?Jesus,Spare Me! #-o :roll: :-&

They’d better not think they will get away without public criticism,because they bloody well deserve it!

Despite the recent good weather threatening to pack it in,a good crowd of perhaps 4 000 rolled up,with plenty of passion from both sets of supporters and plenty of beer sunk by the boys in the Pig Pen,with not a hint of trouble in sight.A great day at Lathlain Park for WAFL Footy! vingertje =D> :D
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

I’ll keep it simple after a very long day and evening.

East Fremantle 8.10 58 v PERTH 10.4 64

3 Wins 0 Losses.

Sitting 4th behind South Fremantle,West Perth and Claremont.

More tomorrow.Later today actually.

Busy watching psychedelic Rage!
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Well,we got home.But Geez,we made it hard for ourselves.

When could have built some percentage in the Final Quarter being 22 points up,we let the Sharks right back in it,to the point they could have pinched it.Only the Clock and a couple of timely Marks under pressure in the backline,stooped East Fremantle.

For some reason we stopped and could not extract the digit,to regain control of things,when it threatened to get away from us.Plenty of work to do against a Hungry Opposition(West Perth),that haven’t lost to us at Lathlain since 2004.Only a draw in 2008,have stopped the Cardies here.

We might have to do it without hardnut Matt Rogers,who gave a Sharkie a Beauty of a Shirtfront,which gave the kid a good jolt.The kid got up soon after and took his kick,which MIGHT help Roge,but just the AWFULL system,the WAFC/WAFL is riddled with inconsistencies over the many years,which drive WAFL Supporters Mad,not just Perth supporters.

If Roge gets any more than what Wheeler did to Corey Byrne last year with a Sling Slam into the Leederville Oval Turf,I’ll go nuts again!

FMD!He got 4 weeks,3 with an early Guilty Plea!

Things are just as outrageous here! :evil:

Our Gun,Logan McDonald had an up and down day with only 12 disposals and a few of them errant kicks on Goal,or a missed pass or two.But even yesterday,a couple of classy Marks and beautifull Goals,one working with a breeze at the non scoring Northern end,should make us appreciate his talent all the more,before he surely heads to the AFL.

Would love it if he made the AFL wait for a year,which piss the AWFULL Executive off,more than the Club/s that might miss out.Believe me,I reckon AWFULL are that Vindictive,they’d find a way to punish our Competition for it,being the Pack of cretins they are.

If they weren’t,the esteemed Chairman of that Board,would speak up a lot more for the WAFL than he has ever done before,but he won’t. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Last edited by grassy1 on Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

The latest Harebrained Bullshit from the WA Football Commission if John Townsend’s Report is correct,is a possible decision to relegate the WAFL Grand Final to Arena Joondalup.

With no disrespect to West Perth,such a decision is another Slap in the Face for the WAFL.

The reasons seem to be cost,which on many grounds is plain Bullshit Again apart from the Measley $100 Grand being flown in our face now.

But the fact is,all Players and Coaches,plus other participants including the Umpires(Yes,them too :wink: ),deserve the chance to be a part of the Big Day at Perth Stadium.

And if the Football Commission ever did their Job properly,they would promote the Suitcase out of the Big Occassion,which they DO NOT!If they claim otherwise,it has Failed Miserably!

Playing this at Arena Joondalup is terribly risky and even providing the extra Public Transport to get there DIRECTLY,is laughable given those same means of getting to the Population Growth Corridor,have been nothing short of Pathetic for years!

It is Far,Fareasier to get to Rushton Park in Mandurah,than Arena Joondalup and there is NO WAY in Hell should the Grand Final be held there!If the WAFC Won’t budge on moving the Grand Final from Perth Stadium,short of resigning en masse,they might like to consider Bassendean Oval or Fremantle Oval.Leederville Oval is another option,but now there’s doubts about the quality of the playing surface,a few years after the Peelmantle Scam of 2016. :roll: :evil: :-&

I wonder what the go is with Leederville now?I’d trust a one eyed Subi Supporter’s opinion on that matter,rather than the WA Football Commission or their Media Minions in 7WorstMedia.

Seriously! :shock:
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Dammit,lost by 7 points.

12.11 83 - 13.12 90

One Bad Quarter did us in and a couple of silly “sucked in!” Frees conceded to West Perth Gun,Aaron Black were the killers,

Postscript August 22 - Turns out Mr Black took a bit of a dive!Naughty Boy! [-X

Had we Win this one,we could have just about booked a Finals berth today!

We didn’t,so we have work to do!

Had to be Mr Nice Diplomat afterwards,in giving the Umps my paperwork,through Clenched Teeth.But them’s the breaks and we have to get back to the Winner’s List next week,otherwise we run into Subi with a 3 - 2 record.

Wonderkid Logan McDonald only had 15 disposals,but just knows what to do with the pill most of the times,plus a couple of great 1%ers,almost turned the game back to us,when the Cardies could have raced away to Seal the Deal.

A disallowed Mark he took late in the game,with the difference about a Goal,enraged the Home Crowd,who gave the Umps the old Fashioned Booooooooooooooo after the Final Siren.

Just simply have to beat Claremont next week.
Last edited by grassy1 on Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

Tapper was there again my Uncle said. Would be a bit of buzz around the club with him there. He’s certainly chirpy!
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Please Ask him if he stands in the Pig Pen with a few other chirpy Jokers,Windy! :lol:

If he does,ask him if he thinks the Umps umpire (against)them,as opposed to what they see on the field. #-o :-&

I dare say our Free Kick count often ends up in the Negative,rather than the positive. :roll:
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

We Did Beat Claremont in a Good contest.

11.4 70 - 7.11 53

Plenty to like,after being under the pump early on,then approaching 10 minute mark in the Last Quarter,when Claremont pegged us back to scores level,with 2 good long set shots on Goal.

But we steadied both times and got the job done,with the sealer coming late in the game,to the Roar of the Demon Faithfull who came down in larger numbers than we usually see at Claremont Oval!

Will name a few players who really stepped up or contributed,but special mention to Jacob Payne,who reduced Jai Bolton’s effectiveness to a great extent.

Michael Sinclair returned from Injury to Marshall the troops in the backline and add a bit of strength it missed last week.

Brady Grey,who Time after time just took command when required to bust open a pack or push the ball forward to our advantage.

Dakota Baldwin - Wright who added a different dimension to our Ruck Division,after Christian Eyres gave us valuable service over time.

Next week,v Subi at Home at High Noon.Could be a few thousand more than usual here!

Win,we put Subiaco for all their Absolute Dominance,out of the picture(unless Claremont lose both remaining games).Lose,we’re right back in the Melting Pot with Finals participation No certainty!

It’s a short and very different season,but Dare we Dream?If we can defeat Subi,is it a changing of the guard!I can’t be too certain of that,given we’ll lose Logan McDonald for sure and Nathan O’Driscoll to the Draft.

Whether we keep Brady Grey,Andrew Fisher and maybe Fraser McInnes,depends on whether the weagles and Dorkers return to the WAFL(unfortunately).If they do,I fear our possible success this year,might only be a fleeting one.

Subi could get over such a loss ok,but not us I suspect!

Then we’ll also have the problem of where to play,when the Grandstand gets reconstructed!Perth Stadium is OUT,as the Cost to play there for a season,would be absolutely Prohibitive.The WACA would have to give us an incentive to return,after an unsatisfactory return there in the 80’s!And going to Gosnells for one Home Game against Peel might be fine,but not for a whole season.Leederville might be an option,but 3 Clubs playing Home Games there,really would put a strain on the playing surface there!So,plenty of food for thought on that thorny issue!
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

The Good News is the CEO of the WAFC in Gavin Taylor has resigned and moved on.

The Bad News is I Suspect,is that he’s been moved on and Out of the Way.Government Inquiry into the WAFC?Oops,too busy Far Away it seems!Toothless Inquiry?Despite the Revelations about Grant Dorrington’s Email to Swan Districts,to keep things quiet,it probably won’t amount to much.Gavin won’t be needed for that,....... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

The Worse News,the WAFL Grand Final has been Allocated to Fremantle Oval,as opposed to spending a little bit of Dosh in hosting it at Perth Stadium,where it should be,despite Freo being a Grand Old Venue.

The limit there,using Covid19 as an excuse rather than a safety measure,will be 10 000.

The Limit at Perth Stadium come early October will be 30 000,which if the WAFC could be bothered in promoting it properly,would probably get us a crowd of 25 000.If the Top deck was open,Social Distancing would be easy!

They won’t move it there,as they’ll say they can’t break the deal they’ve made with the Town of Fremantle.I could,if I find the contract to f****** Well Tear to pieces! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Dirty Day at Home against the Grand Masters of the WAFL,Subiaco.

Losing ALL 3 Grades! :-& :-& :-& :-& :-&

The less said,the better!

We had a Great chance to secure a Finals berth and Slam the door in Subi’s Face,but the door instead slammed our’s!

Now it really gets tough.We simply have to Win our last 2 games to finish 6 - 2 and Play Finals,or Perish yet again,sitting out the Finals on the sidelines!

We have a great chance to get back on track against a seemingly listless Swan Districts,but can we?If we don’t,that’s pretty much it,unless something incredible happens elsewhere.

It’s up to us,to get off the Canvas and do the job next week,1st!

Incredibly,if that happens and Subi and East Perth lose,we’re In!

No Chance of Finals in Colts and Ressies,so it’s up the League Boys to deliver us Finals Action.

A quieter day for Wonder kid,Logan McDonald.Only 12 disposals and less effective than usual,despite a couple of good Marks and 3 Goals!

Time to really step up Frase!(Fraser McInnes.
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

Good reading the summaries there Grassy.

Definite improvement at club level. The Unc has a hint of optimism in his voice these days.

He wonders if the club gets the old legends involved? In his words...is ol’ “Sour Grapes” revving up the past players enough?
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

I saw a few ex players from time to time,Windy.

I think the President had a few guests back from the 80’s in his Lounge a few weeks back,including Chris Mayne’s prior blind curlytopped incarnation,Mick”Stinger”Rea,who kicked about 400 Goals or thereabouts for The Club,including 100 in 1985.

I tend to stick to my corner during the League and 1st Half of the Ressies during Match Day,whilst catching up with a few folk prior to the League Game,before touching base with the Goal Umpies,to get ready for 10 Minutes before Bouncedown.

I practically haven’t had a Drink at the Footy since July 4,which was 1 can of VB in The Pig Pen after a scratch match,having a yarn with a few blokes as you do.It’s been bloody torture not to have one on Saturdays since that night,but I haven’t been too crash hot lately,so the drinkee poo has been off for about 6 weeks now.Possibly 7,but I reckon I’ve lost count. :o
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

grassy1 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:30 am I saw a few ex players from time to time,Windy.

I think the President had a few guests back from the 80’s in his Lounge a few weeks back,including Chris Mayne’s prior blind curlytopped incarnation,Mick”Stinger”Rea,who kicked about 400 Goals or thereabouts for The Club,including 100 in 1985.

I tend to stick to my corner during the League and 1st Half of the Ressies during Match Day,whilst catching up with a few folk prior to the League Game,before touching base with the Goal Umpies,to get ready for 10 Minutes before Bouncedown.

I practically haven’t had a Drink at the Footy since July 4,which was 1 can of VB in The Pig Pen after a scratch match,having a yarn with a few blokes as you do.It’s been bloody torture not to have one on Saturdays since that night,but I haven’t been too crash hot lately,so the drinkee poo has been off for about 6 weeks now.Possibly 7,but I reckon I’ve lost count. :o
Hope all is well, or getting better there Grass.

You mentioned Tapper some time ago had an issue with the club or someone at the club. I can’t quite remember if you elaborated on the story or not.

The Unc asked about it the other day when we Skyped.

Is there a problem you’re aware of that I could relay the story back to him? You mentioned a specific incident which may relate to the longstanding gripe.

It seems a bit odd though, because Unc reckons the club’s fortunes are starting to turn as a result of Tapper’s involvement in recent times.

Seems you’ve been involved with the club for quite some time Grass, it would be good to know some inside goss (if you could) 8)
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Sorry mate,memory’s getting a bit rusty these days.

As for today,the less said,the better.

We lost to a side we should have pumped today to cement a spot in the 4.But Nooooooooooo,not us!Never bloody looked like it!

If you guys thought Essendon had it bad for the past 16+seasons,put yourselves in my shoes.

3 Finals Series since our last Grand Final in 1978,No Finals Series for the League Team since 1997 and after today,we don’t bloody deserve to bother with Finals this year!

Very bloody disappointing! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

As for your’s truly,I have volunteered for The Club in a number of Matchday Roles such as Waterboy,stats man(handballs),Interchange Steward,Scoreboard Attendant(around the grounds,WAFL,AFL and Races)and Timekeeper,which I have done on and off at Away games from 1996 to 2004(mainly Peel and Arena Joondalup) and from 2005 to date,starting with Colts.I timekept the Curtain Raiser to Fitzroy’s Last Ever Game in the VFL/AFL.

All good fun,seeing the game from different angles.And the man who got me started after chewing the fat,after a late season Win in 1993,was a Fella called Roger Kerr.Who’s dad was he,apart from Levi? 8)
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

I think I’ll just say this tonight,after 23 long years of waiting.

Perth Are in the Finals!!!!!

Ok,a bit more!

Get well soon,Arthur!(92 year old property men).