Rob Muir’s Story

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Rob Muir’s Story

Post by grassy1 »

Otherwise known as Robert,Robbie Muir.

Sometimes Mad Dog,which he really hated.

I won’t say much for now,but hook into abc.net.au and read his story for yourselves,by Russell Jackson.

I was pretty saddened by a lot of what I read about a man,who hopefully has found his place,with the love he has now,which he never really felt for a long time before.

Over to you guys,.......
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Re: Rob Muir’s Story

Post by grassy1 »

It often got me intrigued that Sheeds possibly entertained the idea that Robbie May have gone to Essendon.

Almost a pity of Rob’s sake he didn’t.His life May have a taken a turn for the best!

On the other hand,would he have met Donna(Pickett)later in in Life?!

Hopefully he would have still!He’s got a good catch in her!Thank God!
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Opinions welcome here,........
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

I'm showing my age here, but I played for the Redan U18's in 1977 (though strangely I was eligible to play U16's but that's another story... the U16's ruck was a monster we called the Ox, but he was from the USA and was great in ruck but very so-so around the ground)

Robbie for some reason got involved in our training during the week even though he was playing for the Saints in 1977. He would turn up maybe twice a fortnight and help out. He was actually a real nice guy.

As I was new to Ballarat that year, I knew nothing about Robbie's history so some of my team-mates set me up by getting me to go up to him and call him "Mad Dog"during the conversation as they knew it would set him right off. It didn't - he just said something along the lines of "I really don't like that name, never use it to me again" in a way that meant business... and strangely the two ringleaders of the setup found themselves on the ground and feeling very sorry for themselves during the circlework. :-D

It was a good team, we won the pemiership that year and our rover, Gerg Packham got to play for St Kilda. Oh - and we wore yellow/gold shorts
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

s'dreams wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:13 pm I'm showing my age here, but I played for the Redan U18's in 1977 (though strangely I was eligible to play U16's but that's another story... the U16's ruck was a monster we called the Ox, but he was from the USA and was great in ruck but very so-so around the ground)

Robbie for some reason got involved in our training during the week even though he was playing for the Saints in 1977. He would turn up maybe twice a fortnight and help out. He was actually a real nice guy.

As I was new to Ballarat that year, I knew nothing about Robbie's history so some of my team-mates set me up by getting me to go up to him and call him "Mad Dog"during the conversation as they knew it would set him right off. It didn't - he just said something along the lines of "I really don't like that name, never use it to me again" in a way that meant business... and strangely the two ringleaders of the setup found themselves on the ground and feeling very sorry for themselves during the circlework. :-D

It was a good team, we won the pemiership that year and our rover, Gerg Packham got to play for St Kilda. Oh - and we wore yellow/gold shorts
Interesting story, Dreamer 8)

Thanks for sharing.

He could play. All I remember as a kid was one game at Windy Hill where the crowd around me all yelled Mad Dog. I was a mid teen in the mid 80s. It was the year he went completely berserk against Carlton. Never seen anyone spit the dummy as bad as that. You could see all this pent up anger just explode. Viewing that, I then said to myself “that’s why they call him Mad Dog”

Reading his story, it all makes sense now. I really feel for him. No doubt, it would have been hell to be continually abused and trying to keep it all to yourself.

Hope you finds some inner peace.
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Thanks for sharing that Guys!👍

With that Ressies Game where he kicked 7 and most likely played a pearler against the Cats,makes you wonder if those Cats players who hurled abuse at him then,feel that much smaller now?!

It happened in 1984,so that narrows the field a bit,doesn’t it Cats lads?! :roll:

Not that other Clubs could take the high moral ground.Just a pity maybe,that maybe one of Geelong’s Ressie players could have the Guts to tell his Club mates to Shut It,as they were embarrassment to themselves for their appalling behaviour?!