Collingwood President Eddie McGuire Steps Down

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Collingwood President Eddie McGuire Steps Down

Post by grassy1 »

At this point of time of day,I will simply ask you to the following,when motivated to do so -

Discuss!
desmondo
Regular Senior Player

Re: Collingwood President Eddie McGuire Steps Down

Post by desmondo »

grassy1 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:15 am At this point of time of day,I will simply ask you to the following,when motivated to do so -

Discuss!
As much as I have disliked a lot of what Eddie has said and done over the time, I certainly wish our president could show half the passion and love for our club as Ed did for the filth. :-"

Insipid is a word that springs to mind when I think about the current state of our board.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

I suppose we had to lend one McGuire to them.But perhaps if he stayed with us like Frank,his position on how people relate to Indigenous people might have been different and he may well have called out the poor treatment handed out to Adam Goodes,by our own fans.

But he ended up as President of Collingwood and as much as he’s been good at many things for them,he has handled the Race issue poorly.Having the most unhelpfull and vitriolic Sam Newman as a sidekick and distraction doesn’t help,but it is no excuse.If anything,he had a chance to Publicly and frequently call Sam out and pull him up,but didn’t.

What I won’t cop the though,is the self righteous hypocritical Bullshit of opposing supporters who bag him,but conveniently forget their own Club’s supporters poor treatment of Indigenous Players.Moreso if they constantly Booed Goodes,not because he thumped one of their own,but simply the colour of his skin.

West Coast fans disgraced themselves the day they constantly booed Adam Goodes,but then we didn’t exactly cover ourselves in glory on one particular day either.I know I’ve been hard on him to impress upon young indigenous kids to stop their own racist attitudes on the streets,but ultimately,undoubtedly Aboriginal Australians have more often than not,copped the shit end of the racist stick!

Robert Muir is a classic case in point.Tony Shaw must be kidding if he thought Racist attitudes didn’t exist towards Rob in particular at Collingwood.Was his brother Ray just asking Rob for a cup of Tea in exchange for a Ham Sandwich in early 1980?Don’t think so and Rob copped it far worse player wise by Senior Geelong Players,who disgraced themselves with their own appalling racist attitudes.In many ways,I wish Kevin had been allowed to Recruit him which may have enabled him to a better path in life on and off the field,but our Board wouldn’t allow it.Hopefully for not the wrong reasons.We never got the opportunity to find out,sadly.

Going back 40 years,As a kid I was lucky to grow up in an environment where people’s differences,aroused nothing more than a genuine curiosity about who they were,where they came from and their pride of being Aussies,but proud of their heritage,be it immigrants or indigenous.As I grew older,there were pronounced differences,but the worst it got was a bit of knockabout humour,that the Greeks at school copped and the Italians in public were the Garlicmunchers our way.But the ones in the northern suburbs wore that like a badge of honour.Well,The Red and The Blue at least.The ones in Freo,stuck to seafood. :lol:

I should note that my upbringing,growing up in the Western Suburbs of Perth,that unlike Sydney and Melbourne wasn’t what you call the rough side of the tracks,so my exposure to Aboriginal people was somewhat limited to the handful at school,though I saw plenty of Superstars on the Footy field.

My hearing isn’t great,but those days were pretty good.I was either in the wrong spot in the outer,or people regarded Aboriginals on a State League Level,as part of your team,or more often than not damaging players that had to be countered,but never targets of derision.If anything,such guys were revered even as opponents as guys with fantastic ability.Their Private lives were never really discussed,unless someone got involved in a scrape publicly,like anyone else.

About the only Guys who might have any negative connotations,were either nicknamed as Big,Bad Basil(Campbell)or Benny Vigona,whose name was infamously blundered out as something else.No prizes for guessing what.I guess the schoolboy humour with that still goes on,when Benny comes up in conversation,but his footballing ability is never forgotten.

The guys who copped it a bit more,weren’t Jews or Aboriginals,but Asians.They copped the “chocks,chogies and slant eyes”rubbish more than anyone.It was worse when people of non Vietnamese background copped the Viet Cong treatment,when they were from Malaysia,Singapore,Indonesia or China.Thankfully such outbursts were minimal and those guys were generally referred to on first name basis.There’s one guy in particular,I’m happy to see that has a prominence today,who often writes Letters to the Editor,on frequent issues,but also calling out the racism that sadly,is prevalent these days.

I guess because of the Cricket,the Poms copped the flak more than anyone,with the Pommy Bastard Treatment.But because they’re predominantly white,can that be considered Racism,or just bad manners,or both?Some seem to think so.And if anything,aren’t Anglo Aussies,the real Poms here,Descended from Prisoners of Mother England?

Because I went to a Anglican Private School,the dominant non Anglo people were Greeks,Jewish and probably Sri Lankan.

The four Aboriginal blokes I knew of(manly knew)were popular blokes and usually referred to by first name or nickname.We knew they were Aboriginal,but they were part of the gang,or more appropriately the school community.

The three I knew as Ronnie,Kev and Lewie,if these guys copped any racist vitriol in our days with them,I’d be very disappointed.One had 3 older brothers and their father who went through the same school.One who did cop a racist taunt on the football field,dealt with him in his own way and was vouched for by the then and future,Legendary Headmaster.

Sadly the youngest,for all his Talent copped a bit more than one Interschool Football Match Incident.Sure,he dished out a bit of heavy treatment himself and that by itself,deserved the raspberry like any footballer who transgressed with the rough stuff.

But he copped a whole lot more than that,sad to say.I’d like to think he got treated generally well in society.But that doesn’t excuse any Racist Vitriol he may have copped from the crowds.How the Melbourne fan who called out,”like a witchity grub”,never got sprung in 1991,I will never know.

As a Country,I’d like to think a Mature,modern Country such as our’s,treats everyone the same and with a Fair go pat on the back ethic.But unfortunately we are not and though a great many people do treat people with different colour skin and nationalities with a healthy respect,the country has been caught up with Racist Attitudes,but also an over balance on the issue and on both sides of the political divide,where a criticism of a Culture or Country’s policies such as Israel’s Foreign Policy can be construed as Racism.

It’s not.Neither is calling out the Racist attitudes of Indigenous kids who flay perfect honest strangers,who might be on their side and it doesn’t help when the Social engineers amongst other non logistical things they do,act like that kind of Racism doesn’t exist.It does!

So we’re in a state of flux at the moment,that seems to be going ‘round in circles on the issue of Race and Racism.There are many good folk still of all races,but we seem to getting drowned out by a crescendo of Shrill noise from all sorts of directions that if anything,doesn’t help resolve the issue at all.

And certainly not by Idiot Aussies that seem to find some sort of inspiration of flying Swastika’s and Confederate Flags of other countries’ past and present history,but they are effectively in the first case,spitting on the graves of their Grandfathers and as time goes by,Great Grandfathers who fought against such outrageous and monstrous ideas.

Oh well,I’ve said my piece,for now.My day now consists of possibly talking to an Irish Lady,a couple of Italians,a couple of Aboriginals,a Sri Lankan,a South African,maybe a Greek and Malaysian of Indian descent and if I’m right,a security guard of Kenyan descent.Often with just a quick G’day,but some for longer.

Oh yeah,a few Aussies of English,Irish,Scottish and Welsh descent.

Have a nice day,y’all! :lol:
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

The one thing I would point out...

AFL clubs only seem to really get themselves into trouble when they self-commission an "independent"review of their club
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

I don’t particular like or care for Eddie McGuire. But I think the last episode was blown out of proportion. Has anyone actually listened to the full presser? Jodie Sizer was basically saying the exact same thing as Eddie - “today is a proud moment for Collingwood”. But no-one has challenged her on those comments. If people take off their biased ears for a second, I think they would realise that the intention of the remark is to highlight that it is a proud moment for their club to look at itself, admit their failings, and to put programs in place to eradicate the systemic culture of racism that existed.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

He may have said a whole lot more Windy,but the damage was already done and it didn’t matter what he said or did,his Major Critics weren’t going to rest until he stepped down or was Sacked.

He’s done that!Now what?

Where are his Main critics now?Following up on what his intentions were?Or simply,Job done,it’s over now until someone else puts his and her foot in it and they go after them?

We really do have a long way to go in formulating the right balance in the Nation’s relationship with it’s 1st people.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Windy Hille wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:08 am I don’t particular like or care for Eddie McGuire. But I think the last episode was blown out of proportion. Has anyone actually listened to the full presser? Jodie Sizer was basically saying the exact same thing as Eddie - “today is a proud moment for Collingwood”. But no-one has challenged her on those comments. If people take off their biased ears for a second, I think they would realise that the intention of the remark is to highlight that it is a proud moment for their club to look at itself, admit their failings, and to put programs in place to eradicate the systemic culture of racism that existed.
He may have had good intentions, but his words were utter BS, and he pays the price accordingly.
Getting pilloried for institutional racism is not a proud moment for anyone.
It might be an awakening, an opportunity even, but pride does not come into it.
And I won't accept "intentions" are the important bit....In public life, big corporations, politics etc, the message you deliver is important. Deeds are important too, of course, but the report found his deeds were lacking. Deeds = fail; Words = fail. Goodbye Eddie.
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

nudder12 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:58 am
Windy Hille wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:08 am I don’t particular like or care for Eddie McGuire. But I think the last episode was blown out of proportion. Has anyone actually listened to the full presser? Jodie Sizer was basically saying the exact same thing as Eddie - “today is a proud moment for Collingwood”. But no-one has challenged her on those comments. If people take off their biased ears for a second, I think they would realise that the intention of the remark is to highlight that it is a proud moment for their club to look at itself, admit their failings, and to put programs in place to eradicate the systemic culture of racism that existed.
He may have had good intentions, but his words were utter BS, and he pays the price accordingly.
Getting pilloried for institutional racism is not a proud moment for anyone.
It might be an awakening, an opportunity even, but pride does not come into it.
And I won't accept "intentions" are the important bit....In public life, big corporations, politics etc, the message you deliver is important. Deeds are important too, of course, but the report found his deeds were lacking. Deeds = fail; Words = fail. Goodbye Eddie.
What do you have to say about Jodie Sizer’s comments then?
mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

We all ought to get a DNA test done. What many of us would find is we are it and pieces of everything. That would sure as hell make many shut the f**k up. People are people, and they can be good, bad and indifferent regardless of their skin colour. Its what underneath and inside and what shows up on the outside that's important.

Treat others the way you would wish them to treat you.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.
mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

mdso wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:46 pm

We all ought to get a DNA test done. What many of us would find is that we are bits and pieces of everything. We are bitzers.
That would sure as hell make many shut the f**k up. People are people, and they can be good, bad and indifferent, regardless of their skin colour. Its what underneath and inside and what shows up on the outside, that's important. Its all about heart.

Treat others the way you would wish them to treat you, live that and do that and all will be well most of the time.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.
desmondo
Regular Senior Player

Post by desmondo »

mdso wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:46 pm We all ought to get a DNA test done. What many of us would find is we are it and pieces of everything. That would sure as hell make many shut the f**k up. People are people, and they can be good, bad and indifferent regardless of their skin colour. Its what underneath and inside and what shows up on the outside that's important.

Well said that man. =D>
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

desmondo wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:18 pm
mdso wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:46 pm We all ought to get a DNA test done. What many of us would find is we are it and pieces of everything. That would sure as hell make many shut the f**k up. People are people, and they can be good, bad and indifferent regardless of their skin colour. Its what underneath and inside and what shows up on the outside that's important.

Well said that man. =D>
Indeed.

But you may be incorrect on gender :wink:
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Hey Eddie,you had your go as President of Collingwood,but why should Jeff Browne pull the Pin?

And would a Special General Meeting reveal a thing or 2 about a Club’s Previous Administration,that Members might just be entitled to know about?

Is there something they don’t know,that maybe they should?

Is there something you Don’t want them to know about,that has you chewing your nails?

Play On Jeff!Even if you don’t Win,the place needs a Shakeup where Members get to Force some Answers to questions,that may have Stonewalled them in the past!

And to the Media that think Members aren’t entitled to Board Accountability to them,you are So,So WRONG!!!!!!!!!!