7Seven’s Big League 1985

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

7Seven’s Big League 1985

Post by grassy1 »

Round 12,June 15
The day Jacko went Wacko at Princes Park and Leigh Mathews snapped,then copped his own kinda justice,courtesy of payback from Steven Hocking.

Jacko copped a nice holiday and Mathews was deregistered for 4 weeks.

We gave Richmond a 81 point bath in front of 36 000 at The G and Van Der kicked a lazy 5 and got reported for Time Wasting.Anyone who was witness to that moment and Monday Night’s proceedings?

The Blues copped a Record beating from the Doggies by 47 points,with future Brownlow Medallist Brad Hardie giving some magic on the field and words of wisdom off it.

Kennedy’s Kangas gave the injury riddled Pies a nice old touch up and Denis Banks sought an alternative career in giving Facials.

The struggling Royboys had a Win,easily beating Melbourne.

The ads were often Car ads featuring Lou and a stack of Magpie kiddies,a Smashing Nissan Navarro and Victoria Nicholls kicked off her shoes selling whatever.

Fascinating stuff from June 15,1985.

Oh yeah,....Steven Kernahan and Mal blight’s South Aussies gave WA an 87 Pount Flogging at Subiaco Oval in a Non State of Origin Game.I was there to see our Humiliation! :-& :-& :-& :-& :-&
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Re: 7Seven’s Big League 1985

Post by grassy1 »

C’mon Guys!

Whatever happens in the now,don’t you enjoy watching a bit of retro footy?

Good fun,especially with Channel 7 being a whole lot better then,than it is now. :wink:
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

Wasn’t there a game against North that year where we were 100 points up at half time? Phenomenal!

Jacko was bonkers. Laughed my head off every time he played against the Hawks. He has a pathological dislike for them.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Windy Hille wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:33 pm Wasn’t there a game against North that year where we were 100 points up at half time? Phenomenal!

Jacko was bonkers. Laughed my head off every time he played against the Hawks. He has a pathological dislike for them.
Yes mate,I believe so.We had earlier suffered a Bad Loss against Kanga’s Kangas by 52 points,but the boys(and no doubt,Sheeds)were in a Murderous Vengefull Mood,the second time around and gave North a One Hour Lesson.

Job done,we eased off getting ready for the following week.Did it work?
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Yes it did.

We beat the Cats in a Scrap at VFL Park by 25 points,before 34 000 fans.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

‘85 was a walk in the park. There was an air of arrogance around supporters that year. We were cruising along as we pleased... and flag contenders probably shuddered to think that Paul Salmon would return in the 2nd half of the season.

IIRC, he kicked 10 goals in the reserves on his return from an ACL. Then kicked 7 in his 2nd game back in the seniors in R22. Perfect prep for the finals. Kicked 6 in the Granny in what was a cake walk.

Great times!
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

It was mate.

Was there any disappointment about losing the Chance for a Back to Back Night and Day Double?

Or did we play an under strength side in the Night Grand Final?

And despite only losing 3 other games,when we lost,we lost by quite a bit!

Maybe the loss to North by 59 points was a pretty bad one,but how annoying were the losses to the Scum and the Doggies?

Were the Doggies anything to worry about if they got past Hawthorn in the Preliminary Final?

It seemed like a Walk in the Park and I was lucky enough to have Essendon Football Club to fall back on,going through various comic and tragic collapses my way(you know,Perth and Brownie going through Hay St Mall in a bloody Bikini #-o :roll: :lol: )

But once we dealt with Hawthorn in one Quarter of the 2nd Semi,I was pretty confident we could deal with any challenge they threw up,when we faced them again.It looked like a Beaut Day at the G.Funnily enough,it pissed down for a brief time in Perth after it all finished.