WAFL

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Re: WAFL

Post by Windy Hille »

I haven’t got as my loops from Nifty lately.

I take it things haven’t improved since last transmission?
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Only with the Undefeated Colts who should be fresh as Daisies after a Double Bye,with bottom side South first up.

3rd place Subi tomorrow week should be the next serious Test.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Quick Recap on 2023 before I move on to 2024

League
PREMIERS EAST FREMANTLE
Runners Up Peelmantle

Reserves
PREMIERS SWAN DISTRICTS
Runners Up West Perth

Colts
PREMIERS CLAREMONT
Runners Up Perth

East Fremantle comfortably account for Fremantle's Reserves and a sprinkling of Peel players,to notch up their 1st League Flag since 1998,Swan Districts Win a Close Ressies Grand Final against Competition Favourites West Perth and the usual suspects in Colts Footy Claremont secure their 17th Flag,after time runs out on Perth with valuable minutes being lost on the Tigers' breaching of the 6 6 6 Rule.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Onwards to 2024

And whilst I generally focus on the WAFL,every now and then I'll give the Ladies in the WAFLW some coverage as well.

And an interesting thing to start with,that the WAFC have never done before,is the publishing of Attendance Figures of the WAFLW League Fixtures.None of the 4 Main Fixtures broke 100,though there was 926 at the South Fremantle v East Fremantle Game.The Ladies might like to call it a Fremantle Derby,but it might be a few years before the Diehards at those 2 WAFL Clubs allow them to earn their stripes,calling such a game The Fremantle Derby.That in turn will probably spark off a fierce debate in it's own right,but for now,that's for another time.

I went past the top of Leederville Oval last Saturday arvo,taking a quick peep of how many were at the East Perth v Subi Game.Couldn't quite gleam a proper estimate of those in the Belcrest Homes Shed,but I reckoned there was maybe 20 there in that section.

I estimated there may have been 300 in the main stand and 100 in each pavilion,inside and out.So just on 500 or more.I wasn't far off with the Official Attendance Figure being 559.What to make of it?

Round 1,still March meaning Warm Weather but amazingly Storm or 2 threatening,which didn't eventuate at Leederville,but did at Claremont,where the players apparently had to go off for half an hour.I couldn't get an answer when,but from what happened last year in the WAFL on Foundation Day incredibly,if they went off before Half Time and didn't come back on,it's a Draw with 2 points each regardless of the score(though added to the For and Against Tallies).If it happened after Half Time,Team in front Wins,even it happened only just a few minutes after the 2nd Half commences.

When the WAFL Season proper starts at the end of March,much of the WAFLW Fixturing will probably get pushed back to Sundays,or tacked on after a WAFL League Fixture at a Well Lighted Facility has finished.So how much support will they receive then,as the General Public are either on the Couch,at Junior Footy(fair enough),or worse than the Couch,at Shopping Malls.Maybe the odd Festival is ok,but with 2 negative alternatives,might be tough for them to compete against.Worse yet,if people are at work on a Sunday.

If things work to my advantage on Sundays,I could probably mosey on down to see Perth's Rogers Cup Team play,as our Demons there play out this season,before graduating to 2 Teams next year,with the Top side making their WAFLW debut!Wishing them luck on a good season there!
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

11 point Win in 1st Scratch Match in 2024,against our Chief Torturers for 45 Years,is a small satisfying Win,despite Claremont missing their Gun player Jai Bolton,who usually amasses a Million possessions against us.

Good little bit of a character build against an opposition,that probably did set out to murder us on the Park,but could not break further out in front than 4 Goals,losing to us by 11 points,maybe 17 if a late kick through the big sticks,beat The Final Siren.

Gotta do this in Games that really count,but as I said,a good little character build,so happy to take this Win today. 8)

Our Rogers Cup Girls notched up their 1st Ever Win on Friday Night against South by 21 points at Fremantle Oval,so the Heartiest Congratulations to our Demons on that Historic Achievement!

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>