Concussion Protocols - 12 Days or 21

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Concussion Protocols - 12 Days or 21

Post by grassy1 »

If the AFL say they are Serious about Concussion Protocols where players sit out of action for 12 Days,how about practicing what they preach,when they lean on other competitions to be their Guinea Pigs,to adopt a 21 day Protocol.

I wouldn't mind that so much,if the AFL then went with 21 days like NOW to make Absolutely Sure players are right to go and without the Club or AFL Doctors making that Assessment.That may seem like a massive Slap in the Face to their Reputation,but those Assessments MUST be made by Doctors with ZERO Ties to Any Sport,to totally ensure the process is completely above board!

And here's another thing,any player in breach of the Rules causing concussion regardless of intent,gets an Automatic 3 weeks!Players will have to be smarter in tackling and spoiling and still be aggressive,yet fair in the process and the snipers,well......expect more time on the sidelines!
nudder12
Club Captain

Re: Concussion Protocols - 12 Days or 21

Post by nudder12 »

Not sure I agree Grassy, although I see your point.
The doctors at AFL clubs are under much more scrutiny, including by the AFL itself, and have a much better personal understanding of their patients (players) health status, and I doubt that happens in minor/junior leagues.
So they are much more reliable to decide if a player is fit to return before 21 days, whereas in other leagues it'll be a mandatory safeguard.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Re: Concussion Protocols - 12 Days or 21

Post by grassy1 »

nudder12 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:21 pm Not sure I agree Grassy, although I see your point.
The doctors at AFL clubs are under much more scrutiny, including by the AFL itself, and have a much better personal understanding of their patients (players) health status, and I doubt that happens in minor/junior leagues.
So they are much more reliable to decide if a player is fit to return before 21 days, whereas in other leagues it'll be a mandatory safeguard.
That was pointed out in footyfan chat over a Cap or two,but We have Club Doctors as well and I'm sure it's pretty mandatory for them to know the players as well.I just hate the thought thought though,of the AFL using State League Competitions as Guinea Pigs.

Not sure who experienced the VFL Finals Play - in,but I know I would have detested it our way!