Hasleby

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Hasleby

Post by Sismis »

Being asked to "test trade waters" by freo.
26 year old. Averages over 20 touches and 3 tackles a game. Decent midfielder.

looking for over 400K though. Is he worth it?
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

No...he has back problems and has missed a fair bit of footy in the last few years.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012

Post by Guest »

Do we really want to trade for half of what we want? He can get the footy, but he is slow. Does have a good brain for the game though. Like has been said, injuries are a concern.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

No.

Slow, and skills let him down too often when your slow.

Played a couple of good years, thats it. Nowhere near worth $400k.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Given that Hird has just retired (250 odd games), Campo looks gone (250 games), that's a fair bit of experience walking out the door all at once.

If Haselby is available, let's give him a medical and have a look. He's what 26 and hardly ready for a pension.

I too dunno about $400k per season but I think he's better than $250k that Freo are discussing.

He may not be quick but he has proven he is a ball winner and quite clever and might be an option given 500 games of experience has walked out the door.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

bombercol wrote:Given that Hird has just retired (250 odd games), Campo looks gone (250 games), that's a fair bit of experience walking out the door all at once.

If Haselby is available, let's give him a medical and have a look. He's what 26 and hardly ready for a pension.

I too dunno about $400k per season but I think he's better than $250k that Freo are discussing.

He may not be quick but he has proven he is a ball winner and quite clever and might be an option given 500 games of experience has walked out the door.
Yeah thats a good point. But look at Hawthorn, they got rid of most of their old players and replaced them with youth and it seems to have worked. I think we should go for a faster midfielder, not haselby.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

I think Hawthorn have done a wonderful job in the past few years with their list management.

They did get rid of a number of old blokes which ultimately cost them any chance of finals footy for a couple of years.

However they still have Crawford running around while these kids are learning and they also added Croad and Guerra to their list to compliment their batch of baby Dawks. If you remember they also went hell for leather to add Thornton of Carlton to their list at the end of last year.

As I said, Hird is gone, Campo is gone and you could also add Heffernan and Bolton to that list and although it would be harsh IMO maybe even Peverill (depending on how the new coach assesses him).

For instance if Freo is interested in Bradley say and they are willing to offload Haselby to us in a deal, it would be not doing the right thing by the club by not giving him a medical, check him out and see if he can contribute to our cause.

He is a proven performer, only 26 and has experience. A change of scenery could be just what he needs.

As far as his back goes, it only rings the same bells as last year when we and the filth passed up a possible trade for S Johnson because of his ankle. All it took for that boy was to get pissed one night, get suspended be put on his last chance and he has been awesome this year, probably one of the reasons why Geelong have been so good.

He's worth consideration.
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

Too slow.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

No. Robbed Ramma in 2000.
stonersmate
Top Up Player

Post by stonersmate »

We already have enough ball winning slow midfielders, we need some pace dammit! Still worth a look i spose, Not worth 400, maybe 300 :wink:
red n black til i die
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

I'd certainley take him in a straight swap for Bradley, if that is what is being entertained.
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

robbie67 wrote:I'd certainley take him in a straight swap for Bradley, if that is what is being entertained.
my thoughts exactly...
jjono
High Draft Pick

Post by jjono »

robbie67 wrote:I'd certainley take him in a straight swap for Bradley, if that is what is being entertained.

Yes please.

Post by Guest »

Hasn't he formed a habit of being a salad dodger during the off season and coming back 10 kilos overweight? Sounds a bit risky to me... Keep Kep. At least you know he's not going to pork up in a hurry. Besides, he deserves one more year on the list, might come good and make alot of Bomber fans eat humble pie...

Now what's for dinner?...
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Anonymous wrote:Hasn't he formed a habit of being a salad dodger during the off season and coming back 10 kilos overweight? Sounds a bit risky to me... Keep Kep. At least you know he's not going to pork up in a hurry. Besides, he deserves one more year on the list, might come good and make alot of Bomber fans eat humble pie...

Now what's for dinner?...
Dont know if it's that risky. A good player with some questionable habits, for an ordinary player with questionable decision making.

Post by Guest »

I've always been a Hasleby fan. Can get the pill and normally use it pretty well, as is brilliant overhead for a player his size.

But I agree with comments about his pace, and lack thereof. slow players are not required at Bomberland.