Please Can We Get Cyril

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
doogle
Regular Senior Player

Please Can We Get Cyril

Post by doogle »

Please, please, please.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

No.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Maybe at pick 23 (doubt he will go that far), but not at pick 6.

Plenty of better players in front of him.
doogle
Regular Senior Player

Post by doogle »

Yeah who? He's going to be a gun.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Masten and Palmer are better players at this point in time and they will still be around when we go for pick 6, or at least one of them will be.
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

and cyril is injury prone.. i dont want someone who is 17/18 yo and prone to injurys. Rosso is spot on
Leigh
Top Up Player

Post by Leigh »

i want cyril too has x factor........
We will get one of mastern/ebert/palmer/rioli/myers with first pick you would think.
rioli at pick 23 would be a steal. although i want selwood at 23. i would be happy with rioli, selwood and darcy.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

We want Rioli!!!!!!
We want Rioli!!!!!!
We want Rioli!!!!!!
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Sismis I thought Rio when I first read it too :lol:

I'd have him back if he lost some k's and got fitter!
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

When I look at this draft there are a lot of blokes from 4-30 with a lot of upside but only two that I could guarantee (injury permitting) would play 100+ games. Those two are Rioli and Selwood. Selwood is widely considered the second best brother and Rioli was Top 3 before injury smashed him this year (remind you of anyone?) and he still kicked 7 goals as a lead up forward.

Of the two, Rioli has the x-factor. If we get Rioli at #6 and Selwood with our second rounder I'll be stoked.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

All this talk of the X-Factor is rather amusing.

We have Davey, Lovett, Jetta and Dempsey who could all be described as having the X-Factor.

I can't see that we need anymore X-Factor as too often X-Factor is attributed to players who can do amazing things but often go missing for large periods of the game before they crop up with an X-Factor moment (apoligies to Davey here as he has both the factor and the ability to do the 1 percenters as well).

For all you X-Factor fans...name a few consistently good X-Factor players from other clubs.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

What f****** good is MORE "X-Factor" when we could really do with a midfielder who can actually win the ball out of the middle (Masten) or a midfielder who can actually hit a forward on the tits (Palmer) or even a running defender/midfielder who can actually use the ball (Myers).

If Rioli is available at pick 23 all well and good, but if you are talking about taking him at pick 6....get stuffed!!

You don't recruit at based on X-Factor at pick 6, because Kevin Sheedy has programmed you to believe that every speedy, skillful Aboriginal kid with some "X-Factor" is going to be the next Michael Long.

For f*** sake...our team needs to focus on getting the f****** basics down before we start worrying about this "X-Factor" crap to much.

Particularly considering the "X-Factor" we have recurited in recent seasons (Jetta, Davey, Ryder, Dempsey not to mention Lovett).

If he's available at pick 23, knock yourselves out, if not he better not f****** be coming to Windy Hill unless he's still there at pick 55.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Rioli was spoken of as a guaranteed top 3 pick last year before he got injured. When I say x-factor I should be saying star potential. He has the potential to be a star of the competition whereas from the limited U18 stuff I've seen and what I've read, Myers, Palmer and Masten will be good to average at AFL level.

Selwood will play 150 games+ (injuries permitting). He might only be as good as his older brothers but they'd both get a game in pretty much every team in the competition.

Every year a few kids move up the boards late and one or two drop back because of injury or failure to live up to expectation. Rioli fits into the first category, Selwood the second. And most years you get to about midway through the season and people start to say... "Geez... I wish we had have picked that Selwood / Judd / whoever with pick #xx". Injuries and expectations can be managed a lot better once you hit the big leagues.

Every year someone starts to bolt up the BigFooty boards and everyone gets excited. This year the bolters after the champs and the camp were mostly Western Australian - Palmer, Masten, Rance, Myers, etc. Pretty unsurprising given the beltings that WA were handing out. But as with everything in life, hype wears off with time but quality never does. You don't chase guys on the basis of long term performance. Is Ebert a bad player because he was tagged out of it in pretty much every game and had f*ck all support? No.

People have had their eyes on Rioli for a long time... his talent has been recognised over a number of years and even with one of the worst fitness bases (thanks to injury) of all the guys considered potential top #10 he still did pretty well.

Don't get me wrong... I'd be happy with Palmer, Rance or Masten if that's who we end up with. Myers I'm a little more dubious about - seems a bit more hype driven - but I'm not an expert and don't pretend to be. I rely on the guys who get out and watch underage footy. I just think that overlooking Rioli and Selwood (if available) would be something we regret down the track.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

andrewb wrote: Don't get me wrong... I'd be happy with Palmer, Rance or Masten if that's who we end up with. Myers I'm a little more dubious about - seems a bit more hype driven - but I'm not an expert and don't pretend to be. I rely on the guys who get out and watch underage footy. I just think that overlooking Rioli and Selwood (if available) would be something we regret down the track.
I'm no expert either and I too rely on the reports of people who have seen a great deal of underage footy, and from what I've seen from all of them the highest Rioli has been rated is pick 8.

I'm also very dubious about David Myers, seems like a great deal of hype over him too. I would much prefer a Masten/Palmer or even Ebert over him.

Most of the draft reviews I've seen have Selwood still available at 23, and I think it would be a steal if we were able to get him there.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

May have been some HYPE about MYERSY.

Because he was a Good player in a DREADFULL SIDE.Not his Fault,most couldn't come up to SCRATCH at PERTH.

Not quite the same impact(or recognition) as MAYNE,but still worth a Top 10 pick.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: Please Can We Get Cyril

Post by Windy_Hill »

bump
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

[quote="Windy_Hill"]bump[/quote]

And a good one at that.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Re:

Post by bomberdonnie »

[quote="ealesy"]or a midfielder who can actually hit a forward on the tits (Palmer) [/quote]

Hmmmmm
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Re:

Post by Rossoneri »

[quote="Rossoneri"]Masten and Palmer are better players at this point in time and they will still be around when we go for pick 6, or at least one of them will be.[/quote]
Pretty decent shot there :P
doogle
Regular Senior Player

Post by doogle »

I was right. He could play anywhere. Back pocket like Wangas or in the midfield like the original Rolls Royce Rioli.