Sheeds will consider Aker

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
Ossie
Club Captain

Sheeds will consider Aker

Post by Ossie »

ABC wrote:Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy says despite his age Jason Akermanis would be a welcome addition to the Bombers side in 2007.

The 29-year-old Brownlow medallist was in Melbourne yesterday to talk with Sheedy after leaving the Brisbane Lions earlier this year.

Sheedy cited Melbourne's success in picking up Byron Pickett from Port Adelaide as the perfect example of a mature player making a valuable contribution.

"We will consider trying to get Jason Akermanis," he said.

"Of course you would because you look back last year and Pickett, look how good Pickett's been for Melbourne.

"[He's] been excellent, so there's nothing wrong with guys around 28 or 29."

Sheedy said while he was keen to get Akermanis to play for the Bombers, he was yet to decide what price the club was prepared to pay.

Akermanis has made clear he wants to play for a Melbourne club, and Sheedy said he would discuss suitable trades with the Lions at the end of the season.

"We need to discuss that with Brisbane if we get to the table," he said.

"But obviously I would say that Jason would have two or three clubs [interested] and we don't want to get into a huge bidding war. But we can at least sit down and talk."

Akermanis played in all three of the Lions' grand final wins and took out the club's best and fairest award last season.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.

Ramanama
Regular Senior Player

Post by Ramanama »

i hope he comes

Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

what kind of trade would we think about?

late draft pick and solomon or someone?

Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

So he should consider him.

Hes a gun!

bomber_girl
High Draft Pick

Post by bomber_girl »

I really don't want us to trade a high draft pick for him

Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

bomber_girl wrote:I really don't want us to trade a high draft pick for him
looks like we might have to give up pick 20 for him which i would almost be ok with..... but we might be able to do another sort of deal with the lions, we'll have to wait and see

Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

Would not trade our first pick for him. Maybe one of the second if we have the priority. Ofcourse sheeds would try to get him, he needs to perform next season, its his last on the contract

boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Solomon and Round 4 pick?

jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

I've heard a lot about Solomon being traded to Brisbane recently. Is it just people making stuff up or was/is there actually some basis to it?

Anyways, i've already stated my opinion on Aka (that i don't want him). But, if we were to get him, and Brisbane insisted on one of our top 20 picks, i reckon we should ask for Aka and someone else. They aren't going to give us much else i'd presume, but one name that is constantly linked between Brisbane and Essendon is Rischatelli.

If we ended up with a player like Rischatelli and Aka in return for a pick between 17-20, that mightn't be such a bad outcome.

Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

jimmyc1985 wrote: If we ended up with a player like Rischatelli and Aka in return for a pick between 17-20, that mightn't be such a bad outcome.
that would be awesome but its a bad deal for brisbane and they wont do it

jorayme
Top Up Player

Post by jorayme »

I think Aka would be a lot better than our last few picks of senior players.

Filthy

Post by Filthy »

Pick 20 plus Bolton & Reynolds....some candy with sabotage!! 8)

gottalovett
Top Up Player

Post by gottalovett »

lloydy said on white line fever that if he comes it will be for pick 20 so consider it done we'll just give him henneman's number :D

robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Hopefully we can get him here. Imagine Akermanis and Lloyd basically being new recruits!

danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

GO'D stated last night that he would only give up a third round pick for him! or possibly start at a third round :wink:

If he doesn't want to play for them, and unless someone else offers more, we should start with low picks and try to bargain with them.

Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Danstar is spot on. Why throw away picks when you might be able to pick him up a whole lot cheaper. It's not as thought Brisbane has a whole lot of option. They either get something for him or they dont. Either way he's not on their list next year. Touch of the "Nick Stevens" with Port Adelaide and Mark Williams there. They could play "hardball" and make people fight it out in the draft but then they get nothing.... and let's face it, Brisbane need something at the moment. They're in just as much trouble as we are... only they have Sherman and Rischitelli.

j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

I don't think we can get Rischitelli. I'm pretty sure he re-signed a few weeks ago and there's now the Heffernan rule that you can't trade a player who re-signed this season.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.

nmgilbert
On the Rookie List

Post by nmgilbert »

We should try and offlaod two players for Aka - we need the list space for players we take in the draft.

lozza89
Regular Senior Player

Post by lozza89 »

Well i heard an interview on Triple M today with Aker, and by the sounds of it he is very very impressed with Essendon. The only other club he mentioned was Bulldogs which he seemed happy about, but he gave our club one all mighty wrap!

Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

Very good to hear, thanks for that Lozza