gottalovett's detailed top 20

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
gottalovett
Top Up Player

gottalovett's detailed top 20

Post by gottalovett »

1. (Carlton) - Bryce Gibbs-

Carlton can simply not afford to overlook another outstanding midfield prospect to complement murphy, simpson, carazzo etc, if they do not take Gibbs it will be for the big ruckman Matt Leuenburger.

2. (Essendon) - Lachlan Hansen -

With the pending retirement of fletcher and the development of kepler bradley with a big question mark over it hansen is all the go for choice, he reads the ball well, has good pace and great body positioning.

3. (Kangaroos) - Scott Gumbleton -

The kangaroos are short on stocks for key forwards and gumbleton is the best in the draft. He is decievingly strong, very couragous and a good kick for goal, a future champion in the mould of Wayne Carey.

4. (Brisbane) - Joel Selwood -

IMO would have gone number 1 if he hadn't of been injured this whole year with knee troubles, and after his impressive draft camp results i am sure that Brisbane would not mind taking a chance on this impressive in and under mid in the mould of Michael Voss. (Could be a chance to go to essendon at 2).

5. (Port Adelaide) - Mitchell Thorp -

The most versatile player in the draft as he showed in the championships, still pretty skinny and therefore may not play as many games as some other young prospects but still a player to watch in the future.

6. (Hawthorn) - Matthew leuenburger -

Hawthorn is in need of a quality ready made ruck with the departure of spida everitt and Leuenburger is the best ruck in the draft, his greatest strength is his athletisism as shown with great results in the 20 metre sprints and the agility run. Has been likened to Dean Cox.

7. (Geelong) - Albert Proud -

Had a great championships but since then has not lived up to his expectations. He is a great ball winner but can also capitalise on that by having good pace, just what Geelong needs.

8. (Collingwood) - James Sellar -

Collingwood IMO are out to fill the void that Tarrant left and also give Rocca some rest so that leads to a key forward and sellar is the best available with pick 8, has been sick and has failed to get back to the form he had before the championships but that wont affect his stocks that much.

9. (St Kilda) - Leroy Jetta -

Seeing as the Saint's midfield is surprisingly shallow and lacks pace jetta is a pretty clear choice if he is still available. Jetta's standout quality is that he is a gamebreaker with raw speed and the saints dont have many of his type.

10. (Collingwood) - David Armitage -

Armitage is IMO about the equivalent of Albert Proud and they both have very similar traits, he is quick, an inside ball winner and has a fantastic engine, Collingwood would be rapt to snare him with their second pick.

11. (Western Bulldogs) - Eric mckenzie -

Big key postion backman that the bulldogs are crying out for, is a great body on body player and usually gets the edge needed to spoil the ball because he reads the ball very well through the air.

12. (Melbourne) - Clayton Collard -

IMO clayton is better than his teamate Leroy Jetta but will not get picked before him just because jetta has a slight edge in pace and massive raps on him. Clayton has great skills, good vision and footwork that is of a ballet dancer. Great adition for the dees.

13. (Richmond) - Bachar Houli -

Small to medium sized midfielder/forward pocket that is very conposed, great skills by hand and foot and is great at evading tackles, showed he is commited to football by breaking his religious cremony to do well at the draft camp. He is absoloutely identical to Adem Yze.

14. (Adelaide) - Nathan Brown -

Fantastic results at the draft camp have risen his stocks a little bit and i think that adelaide will have no trouble selecting the AA full back who, is a fierce competitor and never gives up a chase.

15. (Sydney) - Daniel Connors -

There is a lot of speculation that sydney will choose Tom Hislop here, but Sydney already have enough hard tough in and under types, so I think they will go for an outside reciever that has loads of class and Connors is the best available.

16. (West Coast) - Jack Riewoldt -

With West Coast's forward line the only fault in their structure, they will be looking for a forward option with their first pick and riewoldt will be the best available, he has very "sticky" fingers as they say, and his work below his knees is very good for his height.

17. (Carlton) - Brock O'brien -

rebounding half back flank who can rack up the possesions, has a penetrating long kick, solid pace and provides great run off the backline, will fit in perfectly at carlton.

18. (Essendon) - Clinton Benjamin -

Super quick Indiginous player that can play either on the wing or half forward flank and is willing to carry the ball when he is in the midfield. Seeing as essendon lacks pace in the middle Benjamin is a certainty to get get picked up at pick 18 if still available.

19. (Carlton) - Kurt Tippett -

With Carlton in desperate need of a ruckman i feel they will use this pick to snare one of the best in the draft. Tippett has good hands has a fantastic leap and good moblity, although this pick could change if they select Leuenburger with pick 1.

20. (Essendon) - Nathan Djerrkurra -

Sheedy's main priority for pick 18 and 20 are pacy midfielders and Djerrkura is definitely a pacy midfielder who can break the lines with lightning speed but can also win his own footy and feed it out to teamates running past. (the other option here IMO, is Calib Mourish)
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Nice one. Have you seen them all play/train yourself or is this borrowed from somewhere else.

I'm not having a go, just curious. :D
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
gottalovett
Top Up Player

Post by gottalovett »

i've seen them all play at the under 18's championships and some various other places
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

if gumbleton in your words is a future champion in the mould of wayne carey, why would we pass on him????

IMO we need to go for the best possible player with the number 2 pick.

We can pick other players for specific longer term weakness with our 2nd and 3rd picks.(or 4th and 5th if there is plenty of good players around)
gottalovett
Top Up Player

Post by gottalovett »

tom9779 wrote:if gumbleton in your words is a future champion in the mould of wayne carey, why would we pass on him????

We can pick other players for specific longer term weakness with our 2nd and 3rd picks.(or 4th and 5th if there is plenty of good players around)
because i feel that hansen is on par with gumbleton but hansen plays CHB which is our weakness as gumbleton plays CHF which is probobly the position on the ground that is right the way it is even when lucas does retire.( by then we would have ryder, johns and possibly laycock as established forwards that can fill his position).
ZRS
Regular Senior Player

Post by ZRS »

great work GL

for those of us who dont live in melb, and don't know alot about these players that is a great wrap up of the top 20
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

hi gottalovett (ha ha I, get it, it's a pun!!)

Do you post on Bigfooty under a different username, because from my memory that almost appears to be word for word for one of the 25,000,000 first round/first 10/first 20 draft picks lists it seems that is mandatory for every single user on bigfooty to provide.
gottalovett
Top Up Player

Post by gottalovett »

ealesy wrote:hi gottalovett (ha ha I, get it, it's a pun!!)

Do you post on Bigfooty under a different username, because from my memory that almost appears to be word for word for one of the 25,000,000 first round/first 10/first 20 draft picks lists it seems that is mandatory for every single user on bigfooty to provide.
Yes i post on bigfooty under the username big bomber and i do have a phantom draft over there, but i feel mine is pretty unique to the rest with descriptions and all, i have not seen a phantom draft on bigfooty with the same list as me which means that i thought up my own list and it's not just a copy and paste job like so many others that post their phantom draft on bigfooty
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

gottalovett wrote:
ealesy wrote:hi gottalovett (ha ha I, get it, it's a pun!!)

Yes i post on bigfooty under the username big bomber and i do have a phantom draft over there, but i feel mine is pretty unique to the rest with descriptions and all, i have not seen a phantom draft on bigfooty with the same list as me which means that i thought up my own list and it's not just a copy and paste job like so many others that post their phantom draft on bigfooty
Calm down calmn down.

I wasn't suggesting that you did simply cut and paste.

It's just that it read exactly the same as one I'd already seen on Bigfooty so I was wondering if you posted on Bigfooty.

Now you mention your BF username I'm able to place this list better is all.
gottalovett
Top Up Player

Post by gottalovett »

sorry i didn't know that i sounded angry in my message i was just simply telling you the situation
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

gottalovett wrote:
tom9779 wrote:if gumbleton in your words is a future champion in the mould of wayne carey, why would we pass on him????

because i feel that hansen is on par with gumbleton but hansen plays CHB which is our weakness as gumbleton plays CHF which is probobly the position on the ground that is right the way it is even when lucas does retire.( by then we would have ryder, johns and possibly laycock as established forwards that can fill his position).
Agree.

I don't know enough about all the draftees, but your top 5 seems about right on.

Not certain about Hawthorn taking a ruckman with pick 6 though. They have Campbell and Taylor who are both very good for young ruckmen I believe.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Sorry Taylor's a hcak....good VFL ruckman won't cut it at AFL level and he ain't a spring chicken either.

Considering I went to school with him and we are both now 24, there won't be too much, if any development left in Simon Taylor.

At best he will be a servicable back up ruckman, but I think he's shown he's either got to be in the ruck or the bench. The times he's gone down forward or down back he's looked completely lost.

Campbell is decent and Bailey could be good, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Hawks took Luenberger at six, assuming he's still available.
gottalovett
Top Up Player

Post by gottalovett »

Not certain about Hawthorn taking a ruckman with pick 6 though. They have Campbell and Taylor who are both very good for young ruckmen I believe.[/quote]

As ealesy said Taylor is a hack and Bailey and campbell are servivable but nothing special, but Leuenburger is an absoloute freak and in any other year would have gone number 1, Hawthorn would be mad to pick anyone else in front of him if my top 5 go in correct order.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Ah, OK.

I thought Taylor and Campbell were better than they obviously are.
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Leuenburger is still going to need some development time as he tried to run with Dean Cox in a practice game and couldn't go with him (was quoted as saying Cox just didn't stop the whole time) so he said he still has a lot to learn. Could still be 2-3 years before he has an impact at AFL level.

Saying that not many blokes Cox's size have his engine and mobility.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Thanks for that. Reading the stats from draft camp Nathan Djerrkurra's name came up a bit. If he has the skills to match he would seem to be a very good pick-up.
citizenerased
On the Rookie List

Post by citizenerased »

looking at that list, you'd be pretty happy with yourself if you were in charge of collingwoods list management.

finished in the 8 and have 2 top 10 picks in a great draft.

for what?
An inconsistently misfiring hack who warranted his place in the side with a mark of they year contender each year.

i wonder, is Leuenburger a better choice than hansen, esp if gibbs is gone.

we have one ruckman at the moment, and if the kid is as good as everyone says, surely the chb spot can be filled by one of our other talls.

Sure, we get beaten quite easily by Hall, Tredrea and Brown, but who doesnt that is available?

the problem with such a deep draft is the possibility of doing a hawthorn-Hodge over ball and judd.
The Super Nintendo formerly known as Chalmers
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

citizenerased wrote:looking at that list, you'd be pretty happy with yourself if you were in charge of collingwoods list management.

for what?
An inconsistently misfiring hack who warranted his place in the side with a mark of they year contender each year.

we have one ruckman at the moment, and if the kid is as good as everyone says, surely the chb spot can be filled by one of our other talls.

Sure, we get beaten quite easily by Hall, Tredrea and Brown, but who doesnt that is available?

the problem with such a deep draft is the possibility of doing a hawthorn-Hodge over ball and judd.
Totally agree. We cannot be laughing at them when our own list management has been somewhat lethargic in culling the necessary players over the last few seasons. They've done very well for themselves at the moment.
Gatsid
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gatsid »

citizenerased wrote:looking at that list, you'd be pretty happy with yourself if you were in charge of collingwoods list management.

for what?

I'd say ball is the worst of the three. Mind you being the worst of those three is nothing to be ashamed about. For me it would go:
Judd>Hodge>Ball
Hodge has awesome skills which is something Ball lacks. Hodges ability to hit someone on the chest from 50-55 metres is amazing and I would have Hodge at essendon before I would Ball.
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

Hodge has awesome skills which is something Ball lacks. Hodges ability to hit someone on the chest from 50-55 metres is amazing and I would have Hodge at essendon before I would Ball.
I'll second that.