MAL MICHAEL

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

MAL MICHAEL

Post by BenDoolan »

Hold on to your hats folks, there is an unconfirmed report that EFC have signed Mal Michael for two years and we will pick him up in the PSD. If this is true, then this is a great get. He will be a tremendous boost for our backline, and I hope this is actually true. With all the junk in the PSD, this is the best possible scenario for our club, and I will applaud them loudly =D>
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

I just read that on BB. A great get if true. Word is that Brisbane are really pissed off. They can suck eggs as far as I'm concerned. Just us getting some back after we had to give them Carracella. Plus all the players we gave them when they started.

Getting one of the best backmen in the comp for free is great work by Sheedy and co.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I guess he can play on all the gorilla forwards and could probably even have a stint up forward when we play against sides with smaller forward lines.

Even though it would be a good get is it taking away a chance to develop some younger players for the future of the club?
ZRS
Regular Senior Player

Post by ZRS »

can anyone confirm this???

i sure hope so
Daisy..1
Regular Senior Player

Post by Daisy..1 »

Reported on SEN..2 year deal DONE AND DUSTED!
Image]
The Man from Bomberland
Champion of Essendon

Post by The Man from Bomberland »

f*** me.

Another feather in Sheedy's cap. How the f*** did he do it? Michael was gone from the game. No passion, no motivation, he was done with football... This is massive.
Bombers till' I die
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

Bombers keen on Michael
By Bart Sinclair
November 23, 2006 11:00pm
Article from: Font size: + -
Send this article: Print Email

BRISBANE'S triple premiership fullback Mal Michael has stunned the Lions by announcing he wants to make a "comeback" to play for Essendon after a retirement of only a few weeks.

Michael, 29, last night admitted he had been approached by a couple of Melbourne-based clubs to continue his career as a player.
"I have just about reached an agreement to join a club in a deal which is going to be friendly to my plan to form a foundation to assist young players in Papua New Guinea," Michael said.

The powerfully built defender joined the Brisbane Lions in 2001 after four seasons at Collingwood.

In the past season Michael has said he was not prepared to devote himself to a full-time training routine but Lions coach Leigh Matthews questioned how a professional AFL player could operate successfully under that option.

"The club will be very disappointed if this (comeback) with another club was to occur," Lions football manager Graeme Allan said.

"We have acted in good faith in delisting Mal on the basis he told us he had retired from senior football.

"We will be speaking to the AFL about this matter."

Earlier this month, Michael said he would continue his football career next season with Ellinbank and District League side Nilma-Darnum Bombers.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

It's funny how Brisbane are dirty on this. Years of having an inflated salary cap and now they don't have one they are complaining about players leaving!!!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Ah, well, that's great to hear! Looks like Leigh Matthews has some problems with body odour as there has been a large exodus. Too bad, so sad. Already looking forward to the Mal Michael v Jonathon Brown clash (that would be worth the money itself). Come to think of it, perhaps we should pursue Jonathan Brown as well, seeing his old man played for our club.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

From the home page at Essendonfc.com.au

Mal Michael to join Bombers
Friday, 24 November 2006
Essendon Football Club today confirmed it had reached agreement on a two-year deal with former Brisbane player Mal Michael and that it would be taking him with its first selection (second overall) in the pre-season draft.

The 29-year-old, three-time Premiership player will commence training with Essendon in mid-December. Michael has played 201 games for Collingwood and Brisbane.

"We believe he has a lot of football still left in him and his move back to Melbourne has caused him to re-think his retirement. We think he can be a very important player for us for at least the next couple of years," Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy said.

"He will provide us with some real strength and experience in defence while we continue to develop some of our younger players for key defensive roles. Physically he is in very good condition and the time away has freshened him up mentally."
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

=D> =D> =D> =D>
This is a brilliant move. Well done to all invloved, and welcome aboard Mal!
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

Unbelievable. Thats a good get. How did they talk him round? He should have a couple of years left in him at 29.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

I can't believe this. What a cock-up by Brisbane! It's just too good to be true. Not only getting the big bloke for next to nothing, but shafting the AFL's darlings at the same time... Fletch will be stoked to finally have a bit more support up back.

Hope our lawyers are limbered up and ready to go. She's a going to get messy! vingertje
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

i remember a thread about whether or not we should try and get michael before the trade period.

the majority of BTers I think were actually against it....something about not wanting to get someone who isn't prepared to put everything into footy.....

oh how things change once he is signed...
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

tom9779 wrote:i remember a thread about whether or not we should try and get michael before the trade period.

the majority of BTers I think were actually against it....something about not wanting to get someone who isn't prepared to put everything into footy.....

We're talking the PSD here Tom. There's a big difference. We don't lose any players for him.

I don't know who you're referring to there but apparently he's had a rethink and says he's ready to play on both mentally and physically. Maybe the Dons will be a bit more willing to let the guy pursue his charity work at the same time, more so than Bris Vegas would have let him do...

And to all those sooks on the radio (St Kilda fans again...), I'm sure if your club had No.2 pick they'd be on him like a cheap suit...
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

post lost on the old BT.....

anyhow, we are better with him than without.

worth a punt more than any other old recycled player.

we must take 6 players tommorrow, damn I hope they are good and say 2 of them capable of playing seniors at some point next year.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

tom9779 wrote:i remember a thread about whether or not we should try and get michael before the trade period.

Perhaps it was before the realisation of the "quality" in the PSD such as Jason Cloke, Cameron Cloke, Troy Makepeace and other rubbish. And there was a strong possibilty of re-signing Henneman. This is GREAT deal considering all other options. What this does, effectively, is allow Lucas to remain forward, while we have a combination of Fletcher and Michael taking big forwards.
Tamworth Bomber
Top Up Player

Post by Tamworth Bomber »

Just goes to show that Sheeds is still a wiley old fox.

This is a great get for us as his strength, size & mongral will be an enormous boost to our backline. Someone just needs to tell him what end we are kicking to.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

So what pick number is this for us? Our second pick?
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

Megan wrote:So what pick number is this for us? Our second pick?
our first pick in the preseason draft.

has no effect on saturday.

[/i]