Gayfl Players

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Gayfl Players

Post by paddyl90 »

What does everyone make of the Aker issue??

I think the statement is quite ignorant. I understand what he is saying but I don't think Aker is the right person to make statements like that. I couldn't give a shit if an AFL player was gay, it's all about how they perform on the field. However, they could become easy targets for homphobic slurs at games and stuff. So I see both sides but surely it isn't that big a deal. Certain not in my generation.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Gayfl Players

Post by BenDoolan »

I read Aker's comments, and I don't know what all the fuss is about. He makes some excellent points. What pisses me off is how the vulturistic media are trying to lure a story. They don't give a shit what the consequences might be, they only see $$$$$$$$

The question I have is;

Why the frack does someone have to "come out" and declare their homosexuality?

Who really cares?

Do we continue and demand people declare "I'm a left winger" or "I take recreational drugs" or "I'm a vegetarian" or "my dick hangs to the right" and any other persuation you might like...
Essendunny
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Why does the media want someone to come out anyway?

I couldn't give a f*** if our players were all gay, as long as we win, couldn't care less.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

It seems we are all in agreeance - we don't give a f*** about the sexual orientation of the players. And it really isn't any of our business anyway.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Rossoneri wrote:Why does the media want someone to come out anyway?
Sales, what else.

I don't really think a player should come out, to be perfectly honest. Why would you want to put yourself out there to be a figurehead, to be a role model for hundreds of thousands of people. Nobody needs that sort of pressure, and the shit that comes with that.

There are a number of other issues that the AFL, the clubs and the AFLPA really need to consider while they still have the chance to do so. And it is the locker room stuff that may be laughed off now, but might cause some unintended tension within a football club.

That said, if someone was to come out, then that would take a lot of guts. But I don't really think that a lot of people care anyway, myself included.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Who cares, surely everyone should be over this topic by now. If a player came out and was slurred on the field it would be discrimination.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

hmm...I agree with all of you in that I personally couldn't care less if any AFL player is gay or not.

However, I think there's two things worth mentioning:

- we may not all care here, but when you're sitting at the MCG Saturday night (or better yet, next time we play Collingwood) take a look at all the toothless bogans around you...how are they going to react to an openly gay footballer?

- the chorus of "we all think it would be no problem* from the media and other football people, while a pleasing message, is meaningless because noone is going to come out and openly say "no I would hate that* no matter what they really think.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

i've never been suprised when someone I know has outed themselves as gay, its pretty bloody obvious if you ask me.
any bloke who is that way would be known (or suspected to be) by his teammates anyhow.
none of the media's business.

this article by Ian Roberts is spot on in regards to the issue.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/c ... -vou2.html

as he says himself, its was the worst kept secret....
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Apparently Cam Mooney is gay
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Windy_Hill wrote:Apparently Cam Mooney is gay
I bet not many would sledge him for it
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

I think Aker is being strung up for being controversial, not for his opinion.

I don't think too many people could honestly say that they think a player coming out would be a GOOD thing... it is hard enough for guys in a normal situation to do it, with social pressure, family judgement etc. To know that an entire country is judging you instead of your peers and your family would be too much stress. And it has NO IMPACT ON THEIR ABILITY AS A FOOTBALLER. Which is all ANYONE who doesn't know them personally should give a shit about.

I can gaurentee you that in all likelihood, ever team has at least one gay player.

Hell BT would have gay members.

(I think it's Robbie and Dodge!!! Call the HS!)
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Megan wrote:I think Aker is being strung up for being controversial, not for his opinion.

I don't think too many people could honestly say that they think a player coming out would be a GOOD thing... it is hard enough for guys in a normal situation to do it, with social pressure, family judgement etc. To know that an entire country is judging you instead of your peers and your family would be too much stress. And it has NO IMPACT ON THEIR ABILITY AS A FOOTBALLER. Which is all ANYONE who doesn't know them personally should give a shit about.

I can gaurentee you that in all likelihood, ever team has at least one gay player.

I reckon it is you Megan vingertje
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

I'll give you three options...

1) you wish.

2) Yes it's me, I confess, I'm gay, I love men

3) Yes it's me, and 5alive

4) Yes it's me, and Mrs Mercs

5) I can't count.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Megan wrote:I'll give you three options...

1) you wish.

5) I can't count.
I'll go with number 4 Megs. I saw you and Mrs M sharing a creme brulee in the V-Bombers change rooms during the morning tea break... Promptly went out and made my only duck of the season straight after...

I know one senior Essendon player who's definitely gay. Have known for years. Does it matter? I think not...
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Doctor Fish wrote:

1) you wish.

5) I can't count.
I'll go with number 4 Megs. I saw you and Mrs M sharing a creme brulee in the V-Bombers change rooms during the morning tea break... Promptly went out and made my only duck of the season straight after...

I know one senior Essendon player who's definitely gay. Have known for years. Does it matter? I think not...
creme brulee....being able to use that term suggests things about you doc.... :lol:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

I don't even know what a creme brulee is, but I'm thinking it's got cream in it so the rude connatations are there :D

Dr Fish, dont make comments like that [-X I'm nosy by nature and now I want to know :mrgreen:
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

1) you wish.

5) I can't count.
Looks like we are out of the closet Megs!!!! :lol:
F-111
Top Up Player

Post by F-111 »

JumboPaddy wrote:What does everyone make of the Aker issue??
I find the doggies response over the top.

It's almost like they need to show someone they know well that it's not an issue for them.
F111 with dash! 12223 posts just vanished!
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

I lol'd at the outrage Kawolski (or however you spell it) demonstrated. So Daniel at what stage of your career did you come out?
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

Megan wrote:I think Aker is being strung up for being controversial, not for his opinion.

shit...our cover is blown

Quick Robbie ...head for the showers :lol: