Steven Baker 14 week ban!

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Steven Baker 14 week ban!

Post by paddyl90 »

ST KILDA'S Steven Baker is facing the longest suspension since the introduction of the AFL’s Match Review Panel system after the Saint was hit with a potential 14-week ban arising from four different charges.

Baker can accept a nine-week ban with an early guilty plea to all charges. Unless he chooses to contest the bans, the Saints' best case scenario would see him return for week one of the finals series.

Baker and Geelong star Steve Johnson were involved in a series of heated clashes during Friday night’s spiteful grand final replay.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx
gringo
Club Captain

Re: Steven Baker 14 week ban!

Post by gringo »

Unbelievable!!!! Fair to say the AFL have shifted the playing field there.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Wow!! Gutless little sh*t deserves it to be frank.
Although how Judd and Hodge get off becomes an even bigger mystery. [-X
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Bye bye taggers...
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

wow they aren't happy with Baker are they! good to see really, the little shit!
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Hahaha....WTF???? Barry Hall got how many weeks for his absolute killer punch on Brent Staker (and his shocking record)?
Essendunny
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

BenDoolan wrote:Hahaha....WTF???? Barry Hall got how many weeks for his absolute killer punch on Brent Staker (and his shocking record)?
very true but Baker's got 4 different charges making up that 14 (end up being 9)
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Johnson and Mooney both got 3 week bans as well....
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Jazz_84 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:Hahaha....WTF???? Barry Hall got how many weeks for his absolute killer punch on Brent Staker (and his shocking record)?
very true but Baker's got 4 different charges making up that 14 (end up being 9)
Yeah, just caught up with all the news and saw all the incidents. Hmmm.....still seems very severe.

Just think......30 years ago Phil Carman received 16 weeks for headbutting an umpire - twice. Love to know what sort of penalty that would receive today....
Essendunny
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Over reaction in my books.

The footage I saw... the misconduct charge was for him slapping the hand of the Johnson - wtf? When the opposition did it to our lad - Pears? - when he came back off a busted hand, purposefully slapping at what was quite recently broken bones, wasn't even a free. Wasnt' a free when they were doing it to Lloyd in his penguin glove.

Re-friggen-diculous.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

Baker also has a 50% loading because of his sterling record as well. Looks like kicking, running 10mt to smack Johnson from Richmond and belting Farmer 70mt off the ball has caught up with him.

He has ended up with 2 games for each report before the extras are added on.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

The misconduct charge on baker (for hitting the injured hand of Johnson) seems to represent a pretty obvious policy change from the MRP/AFL for mine. It's a directive that players shouldn't unreasonably target opponents with injuries, and i think it's also a reaction against taggers/pests like Baker who do this rubbish all the time.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Megan wrote:Over reaction in my books.

The footage I saw... the misconduct charge was for him slapping the hand of the Johnson - wtf? When the opposition did it to our lad - Pears? - when he came back off a busted hand, purposefully slapping at what was quite recently broken bones, wasn't even a free. Wasnt' a free when they were doing it to Lloyd in his penguin glove.

Re-friggen-diculous.
Not only did Pears not get a free when Reiwoldt hit him on the arm, he actually ended up giving a free when he pushed Reiwoldt and the umpire saw it #-o
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Can someone (obviously no the MRP) explain the huge difference between Johnson's no look hit to Baker's head and what Judd did to Pavlich the week before?

Both hits caused facial damage, blood to flow and in Pavlich's case, stitches.

Yet Judd's hit was not deemed reprtabel and Johnson got three weeks...what a joke :evil:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Pretty funny as it has happened to Baker who is a dirty little prick. Probably a bit harsh though as the hits he threw would barely move an Italian striker.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

If the umpires had the guts to exert better control over this sort of behaviour, Johnson would've had a shot on goal at the first sighting. Baker would've received a warning, then a 50metre then a report if he continued. He might've stopped if the umpires were doing their job better.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

While I doubt that Vlad picked up the phone on Monday morning and said to the MRP "screw him", I think there is little doubt that the AFL have, at some point in the near past, very clearly defined the parameters in relation to this sort of stuff and have told the MRP to let loose.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

swoodley wrote:Can someone (obviously no the MRP) explain the huge difference between Johnson's no look hit to Baker's head and what Judd did to Pavlich the week before?

Both hits caused facial damage, blood to flow and in Pavlich's case, stitches.

Yet Judd's hit was not deemed reprtabel and Johnson got three weeks...what a joke :evil:
Yes, the obvious difference is that you don't spell Johnson, J.U.D.D
Essendunny
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

F111 wrote:If the umpires had the guts to exert better control over this sort of behaviour, Johnson would've had a shot on goal at the first sighting. Baker would've received a warning, then a 50metre then a report if he continued. He might've stopped if the umpires were doing their job better.
I agree. Although I think Baker is a filthy piece of shit the penalties a way too harsh. The umpires should have nipped this in the bud right at the start, turning a blind eye to it has meant it has blown out into two players receiving bans totalling what 16 weeks or so. Jeff Geischen needs to made to answer some questions here.
lozza89
Regular Senior Player

Post by lozza89 »

Clearly the AFL are making a stand to players, especially tagers, and the way they go about their football.
Having said that, the penalities Baker received are wayyyyy to harsh. Yes he is a dog of a player, everyone knows that, but 12 weeks for what he did, i dont think so.
The AFL is just so inconsistant. How did Riewoldt get off hitting Pears and Baker cops 3 for that. How Judd got off is beyond me? He is one of the dirtiest players out there Judd. Takes a cheap shot whenever he can.
I'm just glad its finally not Essendon coping the short end of the stick from the AFL for once!!