Off-season targets 2015

Will trade Vlad for an open packet of Burger Rings.
User avatar
Gimps
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 7770
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: Bumfuck Idaho

Re: Off-season targets 2015

Post by Gimps » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:59 pm

patoman wrote:Is there any chance we could just offer our first pick for Treloar?
We could. But these days, if a player nominates a team, they usually get there. It's too soft.

User avatar
j-mac31
Essendon Legend
Posts: 15233
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:13 pm
Location: The city of brotherly love (Detroit)

Re: Off-season targets 2015

Post by j-mac31 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:10 pm

DC2 wrote:
little_ripper wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:
Gimps wrote:
little_ripper wrote:fwiw Bennell was ruled out by Egan. :(
Wasn't ruled out.
Also Egan won't be our coach.
Genuine A grade talent. Surely we can now back our culture to make a play.
lol, not sure if your being sarcastic or not.

people said that about dayle garlett too. club made the right decesion to say no.
Not the same. Garlett never played a game. Bennell has already shown he can back up his draft position.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.

bombercol
Regular Senior Player
Posts: 2376
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:35 pm
Location: Canberra

Re: Off-season targets 2015

Post by bombercol » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:33 pm

Would like us to chat to the Giants about Plowman.

Carlton chatting to him, I think he would be a good get.

User avatar
F111
Essendon Legend
Posts: 15079
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Off-season targets 2015

Post by F111 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:13 pm

little_ripper wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:
Gimps wrote: Genuine A grade talent. Surely we can now back our culture to make a play.
lol, not sure if your being sarcastic or not.
people said that about dayle garlett too. club made the right decesion to say no.
Not the same. Garlett never played a game. Bennell has already shown he can back up his draft position.
No he hasn't. At that selection you want relative maturity, reliability, resilience and skill. He's shown skill but none of the other stuff that high investment requires.

Flip
Regular Senior Player
Posts: 2388
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:56 pm

Re: Off-season targets 2015

Post by Flip » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:20 pm

"From Club site:

St.Kilda has confirmed their interest in Jake Carlisle.

Speaking to Channel 7 on the weekend, St Kilda’s head coach Alan Richardson indicated that they had met with the Essendon defender prior to him going on holiday.

“We rate him highly as a player and, depending on what it takes, we certainly want to continue that conversation,” Richardson said

“We still haven’t received the ultimate tick from Jake.

“It’s been spoken about that we are in that mix [of clubs] and we believe that to be the case.”

The 23-year-old declared his intention to seek a trade earlier this month and has since been linked to a number of other AFL clubs including the Western Bulldogs, North Melbourne and Carlton.

Trade Whispers:

Out-of-contract Melbourne defender Jeremy Howe is yet to declare his post 2015 intentions. With Jake Melksham having been linked to the Demons, there has been speculation that the Bombers may make a move on Howe. Although there has been nothing official from the club, Howe could prove a handy asset given the loss of Jake Carlise.

Brisbane Lions ruckman Matthew Leuenberger has also been linked to Essendon in recent weeks. The restricted free agent is likely to seek a new home for 2016 and beyond. The Bombers are one of a number of Club’s in the race for the Lion, with Sydney and Fremantle both declaring their intentions. Leuenberger is expected to make a decision following the Finals.

Gold Coast’s Zac Smith spent some time in Melbourne last week as the ruckman searches for a new team. AFL.com.au reported that Smith toured the Bombers’ facilities as well as a number of other Victorian based Clubs. Geelong and Sydney are amongst the other Clubs who are interested in Smith.

Although yet to sign a new deal, out-of-contract Bomber Courtenay Dempsey is keen to stay at Essendon. Dempsey’s manager Shane Casley told the Herald Sun last week that the unrestricted free agent “…is a very loyal man” and was looking to see out his career at Essendon. It is believed that Dempsey and his management will wait until a new Coach is appointed before making a final decision.
Unrestricted Bombers:

Courtenay Dempsey, Brent Stanton and Tayte Pears remain the only unrestricted free agents yet to sign new contracts with the Club."

User avatar
j-mac31
Essendon Legend
Posts: 15233
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:13 pm
Location: The city of brotherly love (Detroit)

Re: Off-season targets 2015

Post by j-mac31 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:16 pm

Luenberger is choosing between us and Sydney now.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.

User avatar
Gimps
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 7770
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: Bumfuck Idaho

Re: Off-season targets 2015

Post by Gimps » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:17 pm

j-mac31 wrote:Luenberger is choosing between us and Sydney now.
Would be good as he's a free agent.

DC2
High Draft Pick
Posts: 852
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:01 pm

Re: Off-season targets 2015

Post by DC2 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:53 pm

j-mac31 wrote:Luenberger is choosing between us and Sydney now.
hope he chooses sydney, the guy is always injured.

we foolishly recruited cooney whose body is shot. the last we thing we need is another recruit who cant consistently get on the park.

if we cant get healthy quality players then we get the best draft picks we can.

User avatar
F111
Essendon Legend
Posts: 15079
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Off-season targets 2015

Post by F111 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:28 pm

DC2 wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:Luenberger is choosing between us and Sydney now.
hope he chooses sydney, the guy is always injured.
we foolishly recruited cooney whose body is shot. the last we thing we need is another recruit who cant consistently get on the park.
if we cant get healthy quality players then we get the best draft picks we can.
His skills seem well thought of. His injury history is a HUGE concern.
TBell, Giles, Luenberger. Looks like a fair mix. Competition for a spot would be high and you'd hope that 2 from 3 would be available most weeks. Unfortunately two of them have missed many games over the last two seasons and the third hasn't had much of a shot at it.
Is there any truth in the thought that ruckman are like fast bowlers in that they are better and mort resilient after they've had 5-6 years in the big game?

User avatar
Gimps
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 7770
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:11 pm
Location: Bumfuck Idaho

Re: Off-season targets 2015

Post by Gimps » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:55 pm

F111 wrote:
DC2 wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:Luenberger is choosing between us and Sydney now.
hope he chooses sydney, the guy is always injured.
we foolishly recruited cooney whose body is shot. the last we thing we need is another recruit who cant consistently get on the park.
if we cant get healthy quality players then we get the best draft picks we can.
His skills seem well thought of. His injury history is a HUGE concern.
TBell, Giles, Luenberger. Looks like a fair mix. Competition for a spot would be high and you'd hope that 2 from 3 would be available most weeks. Unfortunately two of them have missed many games over the last two seasons and the third hasn't had much of a shot at it.
Is there any truth in the thought that ruckman are like fast bowlers in that they are better and mort resilient after they've had 5-6 years in the big game?
You're right. Unless we want to go after a top line ruckman, whilst we have TBC and Giles on the list, we can risk having someone like Luey come in. And if we get him for free, we're not wasting a pick/ trade of player. We can use them on midfielders.

As for your question. Most talls take time to hit their straps. With the really big boys (often rucks), they don't hit their prime til 25+. Their bodies get seasoned and can handle the rigors of a physical contest better. That said, injuries are injuries, doesn't matter how old you are.

User avatar
j-mac31
Essendon Legend
Posts: 15233
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:13 pm
Location: The city of brotherly love (Detroit)

Re: Off-season targets 2015

Post by j-mac31 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:00 pm

Gimps wrote:
F111 wrote:
DC2 wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:Luenberger is choosing between us and Sydney now.
hope he chooses sydney, the guy is always injured.
we foolishly recruited cooney whose body is shot. the last we thing we need is another recruit who cant consistently get on the park.
if we cant get healthy quality players then we get the best draft picks we can.
His skills seem well thought of. His injury history is a HUGE concern.
TBell, Giles, Luenberger. Looks like a fair mix. Competition for a spot would be high and you'd hope that 2 from 3 would be available most weeks. Unfortunately two of them have missed many games over the last two seasons and the third hasn't had much of a shot at it.
Is there any truth in the thought that ruckman are like fast bowlers in that they are better and mort resilient after they've had 5-6 years in the big game?
You're right. Unless we want to go after a top line ruckman, whilst we have TBC and Giles on the list, we can risk having someone like Luey come in. And if we get him for free, we're not wasting a pick/ trade of player. We can use them on midfielders.

As for your question. Most talls take time to hit their straps. With the really big boys (often rucks), they don't hit their prime til 25+. Their bodies get seasoned and can handle the rigors of a physical contest better. That said, injuries are injuries, doesn't matter how old you are.
Indeed, plus McKernan fro forward/ruck.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.

Flip
Regular Senior Player
Posts: 2388
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:56 pm

Re: Off-season targets 2015

Post by Flip » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:49 pm

Forget ruck for Smack....he is a dead set CHF with mid field fitness. Give him carte blanche up forward and also to throw his his strong body around.....dude is 198 and nearly 100kgs and uber athletic and strong.

Takes the pressure off Joe..... what he has copped as a skinny 200 is BS. Our bad luck he doesn't have the build off the other coming through forwards like at GWS etc.

Actually with his build, don't think he will ever get much bigger. But deserves a VC for his 1st 40 games being bashed the shit out off with zero maggot protection.

Allows Hooksy to go back.....best CHB at EFC I have seen.

User avatar
F111
Essendon Legend
Posts: 15079
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Off-season targets 2015

Post by F111 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:11 pm

I have hope for JD's body development. Can you remember The Fish at the same age? He was bigger, but he became MUCH bigger over time.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnG71VzivSk

JD won't get that big, but his body will still develop more.

User avatar
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 11382
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:23 pm

Re: Off-season targets 2015

Post by Windy_Hill » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:08 pm

F111 wrote:I have hope for JD's body development. Can you remember The Fish at the same age? He was bigger, but he became MUCH bigger over time.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnG71VzivSk

JD won't get that big, but his body will still develop more.
Yeah but Fish couldn't get more than 6 inches of the ground

Crazyman
Champion of Essendon
Posts: 6679
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:51 pm
Location: Sydney (Don't hold it against me)
Contact:

Re: Off-season targets 2015

Post by Crazyman » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:44 pm

Windy_Hill wrote:
F111 wrote:I have hope for JD's body development. Can you remember The Fish at the same age? He was bigger, but he became MUCH bigger over time.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnG71VzivSk

JD won't get that big, but his body will still develop more.
Yeah but Fish couldn't get more than 6 inches of the ground
Bit harsh Windy...I remember him getting at least 7 inches on a couple of occasions... :wink:

User avatar
j-mac31
Essendon Legend
Posts: 15233
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:13 pm
Location: The city of brotherly love (Detroit)

Re: Off-season targets 2015

Post by j-mac31 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:45 pm

We're amongst many teams interested in (ex-)Hawthorn's Jed Anderson. Any good?

Some possibility that Treloar and Aish could go somewhere other than Collingwood.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.

User avatar
little_ripper
Club Captain
Posts: 3816
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:46 am
Location: At a computer screen, punching out garbage on BT.

Re: Off-season targets 2015

Post by little_ripper » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:57 pm

The age has us into talia, honeychurch.

And poaching Freeman from the ants by offering a better pick to the pies.

User avatar
j-mac31
Essendon Legend
Posts: 15233
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:13 pm
Location: The city of brotherly love (Detroit)

Re: Off-season targets 2015

Post by j-mac31 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:48 pm

little_ripper wrote:And poaching Freeman from the ants by offering a better pick to the pies.
I think you've misread that. I'm pretty sure it says that we could get in on a two-for-one pick trade, so St Kilda couldn't.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.

Post Reply