Hugh McCluggage

desmondo
Regular Senior Player

Re: Hugh McCluggage

Post by desmondo »

Crazyman wrote::lol:
Sismis wrote:I just want to see him in our jersey!
Then he may have to stand on a crate. :lol:
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Sismis wrote:I just want to see him in our jersey!
That'll be when hell friesians over
Essendunny
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

I want us to land McCluggage.

For talent and the name.

And you have to like a Mr consistency. I am pretty sure this was a junior trait of both Heppell and Parish.

The Big Mac, with an Antler sponsorship.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

McGrath getting some buzz of late. Best on Ground with a 37 disposal game in the TAC grannie. Plus GWS openly state their interest in him.

Looks like a pacey rebounding half back - a key weapon in this day and age of "slingshot" footy
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Windy_Hill wrote:McGrath getting some buzz of late. Best on Ground with a 37 disposal game in the TAC grannie. Plus GWS openly state their interest in him.

Looks like a pacey rebounding half back - a key weapon in this day and age of "slingshot" footy
I like the look of him more than McCluggage.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Gimps wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:McGrath getting some buzz of late. Best on Ground with a 37 disposal game in the TAC grannie. Plus GWS openly state their interest in him.

How so?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Interesting from Robert Shaw (from a sauce of mine)...
Robert Shaw on SEN with Radar talking about McGrath: Shaw has known him from Yr 5 or 6 at Brighton Grammar. One of their teachers was his coach at Brighton Vampires. A high jumper at school, has strong legs and great vertical leap. Says the suggestion that he'll be just a rebounding HBFer is a bit of a joke. He will play HB, on the wing, in the midfield and will go forward. He says he is a powerful mark - great set of hands and a great leap in the front position, an ability he says derives from his athletic background. Says he used to throw him forward when the team was in trouble and he was the trump card. Says that school footy doesn't have the no-tagging rule that applies at TAC Cup level, so he was heavily tagged and regularly hammered. Thinks this has set him up for senior footy. He was the captain of the school footy team but Shaw was surprised that he didn't win the B&F. From a great family and he stressed that he is a humble person. The only negative he nominated, although he rushed to say this wasn't really a negative, is that he isn't as tall as Bontompelli.
I don't care who we get, as long as they are an absolute gun.
Essendunny
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

little_ripper wrote:
Gimps wrote:

How so?
Yeah, what Robert Shaw said.

McCluggage gets plenty of it, but I think his kicking looks awkward. McGrath is more natural and more versatile.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Gimps wrote:
little_ripper wrote:
Gimps wrote:

How so?

McCluggage gets plenty of it, but I think his kicking looks awkward. McGrath is more natural and more versatile.
Yeah, he "awkwardly" kicks 2 goals a game. He is a goal kicking mid, exactly what we need to complement what he have.

He kicked 13.5 in the TAC and 7.1 in the carnival. I think his awkward kicking style will do just fine.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Sismis wrote:
Gimps wrote:
little_ripper wrote:
Gimps wrote:

How so?

Yeah, he "awkwardly" kicks 2 goals a game. He is a goal kicking mid, exactly what we need to complement what he have.

He kicked 13.5 in the TAC and 7.1 in the carnival. I think his awkward kicking style will do just fine.
Yeah, because his goal kicking is the number one priority as a high-possession midfielder. Have you had a close look at his field kicking douchebag? Check out the highlights of the game against SA - his first 4 field kicks miss the target by a mile. It's not just that game that shows it either.
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

Gimps wrote: Yeah, because his goal kicking is the number one priority as a high-possession midfielder. Have you had a close look at his field kicking douchebag? Check out the highlights of the game against SA - his first 4 field kicks miss the target by a mile. It's not just that game that shows it either.
lol, calm down gimpa.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

DC2 wrote:
Gimps wrote: Yeah, because his goal kicking is the number one priority as a high-possession midfielder. Have you had a close look at his field kicking douchebag? Check out the highlights of the game against SA - his first 4 field kicks miss the target by a mile. It's not just that game that shows it either.
lol, calm down gimpa.
The tosser trots out stats like they mean the world. He probably hadn't even watched McCluggage play.

I've played the game at a decent level and have been a kicking coach in the TAC Cup. I know what awkward is, I can pick flaws in anyone's kicking. The poorer the technique, the less likely it is that it will hold up in the AFL, especially under increased pressure.

Will Brodie, another touted to go in the top few picks - bloody good player, but he can't kick for shit.

McGrath can play a sweeper role down back, but is agile and skilful enough to play up the ground too. He can mark, and most importantly, he can kick a ball properly.
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

Gimps wrote:
DC2 wrote:
lol, calm down gimpa.
The tosser trots out stats like they mean the world. He probably hadn't even watched McCluggage play.

I've played the game at a decent level and have been a kicking coach in the TAC Cup. I know what awkward is, I can pick flaws in anyone's kicking. The poorer the technique, the less likely it is that it will hold up in the AFL, especially under increased pressure.

Will Brodie, another touted to go in the top few picks - bloody good player, but he can't kick for shit.

McGrath can play a sweeper role down back, but is agile and skilful enough to play up the ground too. He can mark, and most importantly, he can kick a ball properly.
i dont doubt your appraisal, yourve got me sold on mcgrath and i havent seen either of them play.
mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

H'mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm nice calves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oooooo ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Gimps wrote:
DC2 wrote:
lol, calm down gimpa.

OH we've heard (from you) what a great kicking coach you think you are :roll: I can see why you hate stats, being independent and verifiable

Is this the footage you're referring to? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzgr7E8tPiM Where the first 2 kicks are affected and the next 2 go to 1 on 1 contests? Another great example of his "awkward" kick at 1:18.

A "sweeper" role down back? Half of our team can play that role. McCluggage can mark and most importantly HE KICKS GOALS. Our biggest deficiency.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Anyone got anything solid on Brodie (and his kicking)?
I ain't seen much of him but I've liked what I have seen.
Especially that he looks a decent mature size compared to many others, and I don't want any more skinny rakes in our side.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

nudder12 wrote:Anyone got anything solid on Brodie (and his kicking)?
I ain't seen much of him but I've liked what I have seen.
Especially that he looks a decent mature size compared to many others, and I don't want any more skinny rakes in our side.
June 2016 report...
Will Brodie
Midfielder
189cm/82kg
23/8/98
Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country

Brodie enters the championships as one of the best midfielders available in the draft. He's tough, hard and competitive, and wills himself at the ball and contest time after time. He starred for the NAB AFL Academy against two VFL teams in April, and used his size to influence the game at the stoppages. He's keen to use his pace a little more to build his outside game, but Brodie is the type of midfielder who performs week-in, week-out.

Hugh McCluggage
Midfielder
185cm/75kg
3/3/98
North Ballarat Rebels/Vic Country

McCluggage missed a big chunk of the pre-season nursing a back injury but you wouldn't know it by his form in 2016. The wiry midfielder finds space and time where others can't, and thinks through situations clearly. He's clean with his hands, tidy by foot and effective near goal. McCluggage's breakout game came when he gathered 36 disposals, kicked five goals and had eight clearances for the Rebels in round five of the TAC Cup season. Importantly, it also looks like there's plenty of scope for growth in McCluggage's game.

Andrew McGrath
Midfielder
179cm/75kg
2/6/98
Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro

McGrath's elite junior athletics background comes through in his play. The former high jumper, triple-jumper, hurdler and runner brings out those traits when on the field, with the Sandringham Dragons prospect often taking the game on with his dash and dare. McGrath separates himself from the pack within moments, and uses his top-end agility to get out of trouble in tight areas. Enjoyed a complete game for the Dragons last month when he collected 44 disposals, 14 clearances and 19 tackles against Gippsland.
August 2016 report...
Hugh McCluggage
POS: Midfielder, Ht 185cm, Wt 75kg, DOB 3/3/1998
From North Ballarat Rebels/Vic Country

McCluggage has had an irrepressible season and continues to star in almost every game he plays. The classy and neat midfielder didn't have one of his most dominant games last weekend but still finished with 37 disposals and two goals for the North Ballarat Rebels, and his ability to shift forward and hit the scoreboard is a really attractive trait. McCluggage always seems a step ahead: he hasn't got huge breakaway speed but thinks quicker than most, draws players to him and makes space for teammates, and always delivers the ball nicely. He couldn't have done any more this year.

Will Brodie
POS: Midfielder, Ht 189cm, Wt 82kg, DOB 23/8/98
From Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country

You can count on Brodie to throw himself at a pack, dive into a stoppage and rip the ball out of there. The midfielder is a dependable player because he gives the same effort and brings the same intensity every game he plays. At his size, Brodie can outmuscle and outbody other midfielders, and then use his hands to get the ball free. He missed a couple of weeks with a shoulder injury but has returned to the field, and will play out the year with the Murray Bushrangers, despite Essendon's interest in having the No.1 contender play in its VFL team.

Andrew McGrath
POS: Midfielder, Ht 179cm, Wt 75kg, DOB 2/6/98
From Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro

It's been a big year for McGrath, who continues to shoot up the draft board. Some recruiters have him ranked in their top-three players in the country. He co-captained Vic Metro to the under-18 championships and followed that by skippering his school team Brighton Grammar to its APS premiership in Victoria. McGrath has versatility. He's shown his ability as a quick, rebounding half-back but he can also just as comfortably play as a tough, committed midfielder who takes the game forward. Will be playing senior AFL footy early next year.
Interesting that we sought to have Will Brodie play for our VFL side. Is this an indication that they're keen to pick him with #1?

Personally, from what I've read and seen, I'd be choosing between McCluggage and McGrath.
Essendunny
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Sismis wrote:
Gimps wrote:
DC2 wrote:
lol, calm down gimpa.

OH we've heard (from you) what a great kicking coach you think you are :roll: I can see why you hate stats, being independent and verifiable

Is this the footage you're referring to? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzgr7E8tPiM Where the first 2 kicks are affected and the next 2 go to 1 on 1 contests? Another great example of his "awkward" kick at 1:18.

A "sweeper" role down back? Half of our team can play that role. McCluggage can mark and most importantly HE KICKS GOALS. Our biggest deficiency.
Have you got his kicking efficiency stat?
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Gimps wrote:
Sismis wrote:
Gimps wrote:
DC2 wrote:
lol, calm down gimpa.

Have you got his kicking efficiency stat?
TAC 2016
McCluggage: 60.9% http://footyprophet.com/35686-2/
Andrew McGrath: 72.5% http://footyprophet.com/2016-d/
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

If stats are as important as you make out, I think the above stats back up my claims quite well.