Pick 1

F111
Essendon Legend

Re: Pick 1

Post by F111 »

Who do we see either of them replacing in the team for 2017?

Whether they're ready to play doesn't really matter for 2017. Maybe they get a shot if Parish, Colyer, Stanton are injured or rested? Actually Stants might be the depth player at this stage...

Who might be the better long term pick? Difficult to answer. Development and getting a taste will be the important thing as 2018 will see a couple of senior players retire. That's when they'll figure regularly in selection.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

My gut feeling says that McCluggage will be the more polished player over time. But I don't think he has quite the impact potential as McGrath. I have watched all the videos of both players so I can't comment more than what I have seen. I don't think you can go wrong with either.
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

Windy_Hill wrote:My gut feeling says that McCluggage will be the more polished player over time. But I don't think he has quite the impact potential as McGrath. I have watched all the videos of both players so I can't comment more than what I have seen. I don't think you can go wrong with either.
Exactly. McCluggage could either make a fantastic impact quickly, or more likely, take a year or so to develop in the Seniors if he bulks up as expected and his injuries are really behind him. One thing's for sure, he's a deadly kick from any angle, knows how to lead effectively and very opportunistic (footy smarts). McGrath on the other hand, looks like he could run Zach and any tagger off his feet. Never seen someone so busy and feel he could make an impact after a couple of senior games. Absolute dead-eye by foot and hand. I'd play safe and go McGrath because if we don't, he'll certainly worry us pretty quickly somewhere else.
bpdons
High Draft Pick

Post by bpdons »

I have absolutely no idea of the players in the draft other than names being mentioned.
I believe we need a player that has the presence to completely change a game within the space of a quarter.
Whilst a gun midfielder or forward holds trade currency it doesn't always translate into success if they can't inspire the players around him to excel.

Players like Hird, Rioli, Bontempelli. These are players the opposition fear most when the game is there to be won.
If a player like this exists in this draft, I don't care if they don't play for their first two seasons or are overly skinny initially.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Its so annoying that in the year we get the first pick there's no absolute outstanding obvious first choice

Reality is, in this draft, any of the top 10 could have reasonable claims to be first picked. This is a great draft in which to have 2-3 Top 10 picks and I wonder if the club worked hard enough to trade its first and second picks for 3 Top 10 picks
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Windy_Hill wrote:Its so annoying that in the year we get the first pick there's no absolute outstanding obvious first choice

Reality is, in this draft, any of the top 10 could have reasonable claims to be first picked. This is a great draft in which to have 2-3 Top 10 picks and I wonder if the club worked hard enough to trade its first and second picks for 3 Top 10 picks
McCluggage and McGrath are a length in front of the next 2-3, then another length to the next few. Ain't no 10 Pick 1's
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Sam Petrovski - Seton.

Do NOT lose him to anyone else.

He is better than anyone else in the Draft,so ESSENDON,f****** well Draft Him! :roll:
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

There are more ppl in the world and Australia than just WAers grassy...admire your patriotism, but ffs take off you one eyed WA goggles for once in your life...
desmondo
Regular Senior Player

Post by desmondo »

I`m fairly convinced we will take Mc Cluggage with first pick, as I reckon we have half-backs covered with the likes of Walla, Francis, Kelly and maybe even Gleeson, and Goddard.

But you can NEVER have too many classy goal-kicking mids.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Crazyman wrote:There are more ppl in the world and Australia than just WAers grassy...admire your patriotism, but ffs take off you one eyed WA goggles for once in your life...
You think I'm bad,just look at the nitwits who follow the 2 AFL Clubs over here.

But you should already know that,shouldn't you? :twisted:
mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

grassy1 wrote:Sam Petrovski - Seton.

Do NOT lose him to anyone else.

He is better than anyone else in the Draft,so ESSENDON,f****** well Draft Him! :roll:
Watched the video of him over and over. He has real potential. I hope we can grab him.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

desmondo wrote:I`m fairly convinced we will take Mc Cluggage with first pick, as I reckon we have half-backs covered with the likes of Walla, Francis, Kelly and maybe even Gleeson, and Goddard.

Yeah McGrath can (will) play midfield as well. Heppell started at half back.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

j-mac31 wrote:
desmondo wrote:I`m fairly convinced we will take Mc Cluggage with first pick, as I reckon we have half-backs covered with the likes of Walla, Francis, Kelly and maybe even Gleeson, and Goddard.

Yeah McGrath can (will) play midfield as well. Heppell started at half back.
he is very quick too, runs 100 m in around 10.5 seconds. he sounds like he has all the tools and a ready made player apparently.
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

I love him. From his vids he's like a crazy wound-up toy. But still nervous about the fwd line. Praying for a miraculous transformation from JD and super accurate delivery from the mids. It's all there on paper. Woosha, make it work!!!
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Rover99 wrote:I love him. From his vids he's like a crazy wound-up toy. But still nervous about the fwd line. Praying for a miraculous transformation from JD and super accurate delivery from the mids. It's all there on paper. Woosha, make it work!!!
Miraculous?

He kicked 40 goals with the worst midfield we've ever assembled delivering it to him.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

boncer34 wrote:
Rover99 wrote:I love him. From his vids he's like a crazy wound-up toy. But still nervous about the fwd line. Praying for a miraculous transformation from JD and super accurate delivery from the mids. It's all there on paper. Woosha, make it work!!!
Miraculous?

He kicked 40 goals with the worst midfield we've ever assembled delivering it to him.
This. Just needs to clean up his kicking. Outside of that, he's a beast.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

boncer34 wrote:
Miraculous?

And being double or triple teamed in every contest because we had no other key forward option.
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

Referring solely to the number of marks within kicking distance to conversions. He's a wonderful beast alright and could just about double his tally with accuracy and help take us to a flag (or close) in 2018.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

There isn't a team in the comp that wouldn't give up the number one draft pick for Joe Daniher!

And we have both!!!!

It'll be Mc (C)Luggage - Antler will make a motzer off the back of this kid - and he grew up on a dairy farm Sheeds.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

I've assumed it would definitely be McCluggage for some time now and from what I've heard he sure sounds great. But the more I hear/think about McGrath, the more I think he should be the guy.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.