Who do we want?

Will trade Vlad for an open packet of Burger Rings.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Who do we want?

Post by BenDoolan » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:44 am

I’m hearing #9 to GWS + future 2nd rounder for Shiel + 3rd rounder this year. Future first rounder for Martin for 2nd rounder this year + future fourth rounder.

However, that came from someone at work with the usual “I know a friend of a friend who sleeps with the tea lady at EFC”
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:22 am

ealesy wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:22 pm
Talk that GWS have cracked the shits for "having" accept unders for Setterfield and Scully and thus are playing hard ball with Shiel and Lobb.

Well dickheads that isn't how trading works, also you essentially told Shiel and Lobb to f*** off.

Also how much does the Hawks trading for Scrimshaw and Scully reek. Senior coaches at both GWS and GC have strong pre-existing relationships with Clarkson and suddenly the Hawks can trade for for the number 7 pick from only 2 years ago, and a former number 1 draft pick, former All-Australian who was the GWS' marquee signing when they entered the comp for essentially a single future 3rd round pick. Reeks to high heaven.
But the Number 7 pick reportedly has an attitude problem and is lazy (aka, GC were happy to see him go) and the former number 1 pick was overvalued in the beginning, was draining the GWS accounts and is unlikely to be much cop in future (see Johnno O'Rorke for comparison).
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:27 am

boncer34 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:49 am
s'dreams wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:14 pm
boncer34 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:15 pm
s'dreams wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:55 am
boncer34 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:36 am

Kinda my point. Setterfield is unproven, not in their best 22 and has injuries instead of being home sick. Not to mention Francis's fitness was a big concern.

Yet nobody here would've been happy to accept a 3rd round pick for him last year because of the massive potential but coz its a potentially high talented player coming our way then we should only give up a 3rd round pick?

Please.
Well ... If they're happy for a 3rd round pick... they shouldn't be asking for an early first round pick. Maybe a pair of 2nd's.

Over at BB ... they are keen for a Setterfield/Scully double for this and next years first round picks.

I'd be happy for a Setterfield/Shiels double for that price instead.
They're not happy for a 3rd.

They want a first for their highly touted inexperienced player.

Same as us last year.
Looks like he is going for next year's 2nd round at the blues... And seeing that next year, with all their recruits and yet another 1st pick, they are pushing for the flag so it will be like a 3rd rounder [/sarc] :roll: :roll: :roll:

[edit] - whoops ... overlooked that the Blues are also offering a 3rd round pick this year (43 which they got from on-selling one of their two their VFL "priority picks".
So they took an early 2nd and a early/middle 3rd.

Would you say that is closer to a 1st rounder or a 3rd rounder?
They took an early 3rd ... you seem to lack confidence of the Blues recruiting and coaching to avoid handing over pick 19 next year (or possibly 25 given the number of free agents going to Collingwood, Hawthorn and Richmond next year).

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:23 pm

Dockers apparently making a frantic, last minute bid for Colyer. We want a first round pick though :D 8-[ 8-[

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:27 pm

Rover99 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:23 pm
Dockers apparently making a frantic, last minute bid for Colyer. We want a first round pick though :D 8-[ 8-[
Sign the f****** papers!!!!

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:06 pm

Rover99 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:23 pm
Tell em We're dreaming

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:19 pm

Hearing Colyer to Freo for 3rd Round pick

vingertje =D> 8)

MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:43 pm

We have just 90 minutes to get the deal done. Are we playing too hardball.
Last edited by MH_Bomber on Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

MH_Bomber

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:54 pm

MH_Bomber wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:43 pm
We have just 90 kinutes to get the deal done. Are we playing too hardball.
Whispers that this has just been a tactic between Carlton and GWS to string us along to the end (so we get nothing), while Carlton swoop on “getting their man”

desmondo
High Draft Pick

Post by desmondo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:42 pm

desmondo wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:20 pm
Maybe this should be headed, who do we NEED?.

Our top priority this trade period should be to get Dylan Shiel to the club.

He is exactly what we NEED and sadly lack. A good inside mid cum burst player who uses it pretty well.

If we get him I don`t care what else happens this trade period. :)
And we did it. vingertje I`m a very happy chappy, as stated, Dylan is exactly what we need.

Windy Hille
High Draft Pick

Post by Windy Hille » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:06 am

So we have 3 picks in the draft? If so, do we still have to cull someone off the list??

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:02 pm

Windy Hille wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:06 am
So we have 3 picks in the draft? If so, do we still have to cull someone off the list??
Still lots of opportunity to bump off the list... Dea, Long, Bags, McNiece (R) and Mynott (R) shouldn't rest easy yet (though McNiece will possibly survive being a Category B rookie)

One of the senior spots will go to upgrading McKernan (he of the 2 year contract).

I think there is probably more scope to sign some names on as rookies this year. Mason Fletcher certainly for one. I know a lot of folk are talking up Hind but I've become a fan of Lazzaro (who played as 23rd man in the finals). Wouldn't mind seeing him rookied.

Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:10 pm

We aren't forced to cull anyone as Primary list size required is 38-40 (38 with up to 9 rookies, 40 for 7).
Green, Goddard, Colyer, JMerrett gone with Shiel coming in. Primary list size currently is 36.

6 rookies are currently in the squad. 3 can be retained (for a 2nd or 3rd season) with the rest having to be either elevated or delisted before the national draft.

2 of them are contracted for further seasons: Draper (end of 2019) & McKernan (end of 2020).
Club will have to decide on: Mynott, Lavender, McNiece, Long.

Nov 22-23: AFL Draft: Picks 34, 66, 84.
Nov 23: Preseason & Rookie Draft.
Nov 1-23: Delisted Free agents.
Nov 27: Final list lodgement.

boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:59 pm

BenDoolan wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:54 pm
MH_Bomber wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:43 pm
We have just 90 kinutes to get the deal done. Are we playing too hardball.
Whispers that this has just been a tactic between Carlton and GWS to string us along to the end (so we get nothing), while Carlton swoop on “getting their man”
White noise Benny.

Very obvious reason why yesterday took so long and its got nothing to do with us being difficult or Carlton swooping or any of that rubbish. I'm not surprised the journo's didn't work out the hold up.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just better.

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:34 pm

Royza wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:10 pm
We aren't forced to cull anyone as Primary list size required is 38-40 (38 with up to 9 rookies, 40 for 7).
Green, Goddard, Colyer, JMerrett gone with Shiel coming in. Primary list size currently is 36.

6 rookies are currently in the squad. 3 can be retained (for a 2nd or 3rd season) with the rest having to be either elevated or delisted before the national draft.

2 of them are contracted for further seasons: Draper (end of 2019) & McKernan (end of 2020).

Quite possibly I am wrong, but I thought that there were different rules for category B rookies including that a club can have up to 3 Category Bs independent of the standard list numbers (so there can be 6 Category A rookies and 3 category B). I also thought that Category B players could be kept on for longer than standard rookies.

But I have little confidence about my understanding in this area.

Lavander and McNiece are category B rookies and I thought that we had signed another Irish player.

Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:26 pm

s'dreams wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:34 pm
Quite possibly I am wrong, but I thought that there were different rules for category B rookies including that a club can have up to 3 Category Bs independent of the standard list numbers (so there can be 6 Category A rookies and 3 category B). I also thought that Category B players could be kept on for longer than standard rookies.

Lavander and McNiece are category B rookies and I thought that we had signed another Irish player.
I got this from the AFL site a while back:

Cat A Rookies (International/Father-Son), Up to 6 Recruited via the Rookie Draft in reverse ladder order.
Cat B Rookies (International/Non-AFL), Up to 3 Recruited directly, Only 1 Irish Cat B Rookie allowed.

Up to 3 rookies can be retained, with the player's permission for a second or third season, with the others having to be either delisted or elevated to the primary list at the time of the National Draft.

Primary List Size Category A Rookies Category B Rookies Total Rookies (Maximum) Total
38 (Minimum)---------------------6-------------------------3---------------------9-------------------------47
39 ----------------------------------5-------------------------3---------------------8-------------------------47
40 (Maximum)--------------------4-------------------------3---------------------7-------------------------47

I am unaware of any other rules regarding this but wouldn't be surprised if there's something not easily found that I missed.

Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:34 pm

s'dreams wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:34 pm

Ok, I see the confusion.. I meant that yes, the rookies are independent of primary squad. 38 Primary plus up to 9 rookies. 40 primary plus up to 7. My fault, should've used 'plus' instead of 'with'.

Windy Hille
High Draft Pick

Post by Windy Hille » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:57 am

Royza wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:10 pm

Thanks for that!

Quite clear now 8)

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:11 am

Ok, I know we just got rid of Green, but would Menzel be worth a look?

Averaging 2 goals a game as a small forward.

Would mainly consider him as backup for Raz.

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:30 am

s'dreams wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:11 am
Ok, I know we just got rid of Green, but would Menzel be worth a look?

Averaging 2 goals a game as a small forward.

Would mainly consider him as backup for Raz.
Could be. But I reckon he’d be a frustrating player. Only runs one way. If we’re happy to have an unaccountable forward, then go for it. But if we’re looking for players to lock the ball into our F50, he won’t be that player.