Who do we want?

Will trade Vlad for an open packet of Burger Rings.
desmondo
High Draft Pick

Re: Who do we want?

Post by desmondo » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:43 pm

F111 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:32 pm
afldotcom
The Hawks' main rivals in the race for Shiel are Carlton and St Kilda, with Essendon believed to have dropped out of the running.
Why the f*** are we or would be dropping out of the running for him???..... we should be going all out to get Sheil, ffs he is exactly the type of player we NEED and they don`t grow on fkng trees. :evil:

boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:51 pm

Because it sounds better than "Shiel knocked us back."
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just better.

desmondo
High Draft Pick

Post by desmondo » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:26 pm

boncer34 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:51 pm
Then it`s an indictment on the club that they don`t have the personel capable of helping him see the benefits and potential success of joining us.

Fkng whoreforn have a good enough mid-field already (compared to us). :evil:

MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:45 pm

I am not sure about this year at all with recruiting and drafting. I almost think that we dont seem too desperate to get anyone because of the 3 big additions last year and the development of the younger pkayers. Are we going for keeping the place stable with the least amount of change possible.

We dont seem to in ths running for anyone.

I hope we know what we are doing.
Regards

MH_Bomber

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:51 pm

I would be pretty confident that the Club IS doing what it can to land a ready made, elite level midfielder. There are 2 in the “mix” this season. Gaff and Shiel. Gaff wants North for the biggest payday and Shiel wants Hawthorn for the enduring appeal they have as a destination club.

We don’t have the money or inclination to match North for Gaff and that’s fine

Sadly, we don’t rate as a destination club in the same way as Hawthorn.

I think our best hope will be Setterfield although his injury history is a serious concern and will likely cost our first round pick

Could be a dry trade season compared to the bounty of last year

boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:52 pm

desmondo wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:26 pm
boncer34 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:51 pm
Then it`s an indictment on the club that they don`t have the personel capable of helping him see the benefits and potential success of joining us.

Fkng whoreforn have a good enough mid-field already (compared to us). :evil:
Riiiight.

And yet in the real world the grown ups accept not everyone sees Essendon as the be all and end all.

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:23 pm

To land some “gun” midfielder you have to spend in the vacinity of 1.1 - 1.5M dollars per year for a lot of years. Unless it’s Dusty Martin, Dangerfield, Tom Mitchell etc, that sort of coin is f****** ridiculous. Shiel being offered 1.4M for 6 years is insane. f****** insane.
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:35 pm

BenDoolan wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:23 pm
To land some “gun” midfielder you have to spend in the vacinity of 1.1 - 1.5M dollars per year for a lot of years. Unless it’s Dusty Martin, Dangerfield, Tom Mitchell etc, that sort of coin is f****** ridiculous. Shiel being offered 1.4M for 6 years is insane. f****** insane.
What’s the lowest percentage a Manager at the bottom of the pile,can get from such a deal?

The Highest?Whom would that be?Paul Connors?

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:17 am

Everyone waiting for a miracle to appear - well maybe it will. Remember how long it took for the 3 S's to be confirmed last year? And hopefully we haven't gambled our first round pick on Setterield when it does.

Windy Hille
High Draft Pick

Post by Windy Hille » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:40 am

grassy1 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:35 pm
BenDoolan wrote:
What’s the lowest percentage a Manager at the bottom of the pile,can get from such a deal?

The Highest?Whom would that be?Paul Connors?
It comes down to capacity in a roundabout way. To see if a manager can determine price based on percentage gain will depend upon the reputation of player against his ability to market him. From that perspective, and the added crucing of manager reputation, can affect the takings. Conners would be one who could do that easily.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:18 am

I would not be throwing better than 750K at Shiel - Max

Anymore would be an insult to Heppell, Merrett etc who are as good if not better players on a lot less coin

Lets go to the draft and get the best available player that falls our way.

Our midfield is pretty close to being "good enough". It was certainly good enough against the current premiers a few weeks back on their own turf. It was certainly good enough to get us 10 wins from our last 14 games. Add another year of development to the likes of Mutch, Begley, Clark, Guelfi, McGrath etc then we should be well placed

So, after thinking about it, not too concerned if we don't land the big fish

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:25 am

Rover99 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:17 am
Everyone waiting for a miracle to appear - well maybe it will. Remember how long it took for the 3 S's to be confirmed last year? And hopefully we haven't gambled our first round pick on Setterield when it does.
I thought we were getting Bontempelli ... or Billy Slater ... whatever ...

IMO ... there far too many AFL accredited journalists than there are credible stories for them to write about.

Bored with trade week already
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:00 am

Might as well ask the cat. :roll: :lol:

boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:46 am

BenDoolan wrote:
Not for St Kilda or Carlton it isn't Benny.

Keep in mind they have to spend 95% of the cap, look at their list and tell me who you'd spend it on? Smart move would be bringing in someone like Shiel who is a good quality player, though not the top rung, front end the shit out of his deal and hope in 5 years time the list has improved.

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:37 am

boncer34 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:46 am
BenDoolan wrote:

Keep in mind they have to spend 95% of the cap, look at their list and tell me who you'd spend it on? Smart move would be bringing in someone like Shiel who is a good quality player, though not the top rung, front end the shit out of his deal and hope in 5 years time the list has improved.
That’s the logic, but isn’t it 1.4M over 6 years? Or is it a matter of, say, paying 2M for the first 3 years then 800K for the last 3 years?
Unfortunately, you can't drown a witch!

boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:36 pm

BenDoolan wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:37 am
boncer34 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:46 am
BenDoolan wrote:

That’s the logic, but isn’t it 1.4M over 6 years? Or is it a matter of, say, paying 2M for the first 3 years then 800K for the last 3 years?
It's always reported as equal money over the years mate. Or well at least it seems that way to me.

The reality is very different. Take, for example, Lance Franklins contract it was reported as $1.1m over 9 years except for the first 4 years he didn't actually receive more then $750k.

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:09 pm

Shiel and Gaff really ought to look at the experiences of Gary Ablett Jnr taking the cash to be at Gold Coast

Ultimately, being a big fish in a little pond, depite the money, is never going to be as satisfying as playing in a successful club.

Judd took the money too and played out his career at a deplorable Carlton.

I suppose ultimately if trading and/or Free Agency only supports successful clubs then the game will lose it’s competitiveness

desmondo
High Draft Pick

Post by desmondo » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:05 pm

Will Settles on the Bombers....Concerning Will Setterfield.

Well that`s the headline I would like to see now that Sheil and Gaff are both off the table.

IF we can get him fit AND keep him fit he could be a great pick-up, apparently a huge Bombers fan as a kid =D> , if he can get back to the form that seen him picked 5th in the national draft originally then we could get a bargain. Surely a late second round pick should suffice? (considering the limited game time he has had, plus the injuries he has had.)

Windy Hille
High Draft Pick

Post by Windy Hille » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:56 am

desmondo wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:05 pm

Well that`s the headline I would like to see now that Sheil and Gaff are both off the table.

IF we can get him fit AND keep him fit he could be a great pick-up, apparently a huge Bombers fan as a kid =D> , if he can get back to the form that seen him picked 5th in the national draft originally then we could get a bargain. Surely a late second round pick should suffice? (considering the limited game time he has had, plus the injuries he has had.)
I think the reality is he will require a first round pick to get deal done. Unless there is a player we can trade with a 2nd round pick (but I can’t see it).

s'dreams
Club Captain

Post by s'dreams » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:09 am

Windy Hille wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:56 am
desmondo wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:05 pm

I think the reality is he will require a first round pick to get deal done. Unless there is a player we can trade with a 2nd round pick (but I can’t see it).
GWS doesn't want a player unless the club pays their salary (they have to get under the salary cap.

Reports are that Pick 8 may be about right but GWS will want more.

I still think this years and next years first round pick will land both Shiel and Setterfield.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)