Are We Into Any Players

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Are We Into Any Players

Post by Windy_Hill »

All I hear is Stringer to Geelong, Rockliff to Carlton, Lever to Melbourne

Are we serious as a football club? Or are we fooling ourselves again? Or should I not read anything into the fact that we are not mentioned in relation to key trades?
desmondo
Regular Senior Player

Re: Are We Into Any Players

Post by desmondo »

Windy_Hill wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:26 pm All I hear is Stringer to Geelong, Rockliff to Carlton, Lever to Melbourne

Are we serious as a football club? Or are we fooling ourselves again? Or should I not read anything into the fact that we are not mentioned in relation to key trades?
I hear that Dodoro had coffee with Stringer...read into that what you like. Maybe they`re just buddies, BUT, I wish he would have a coffee with Rocky :lol:
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Balls deep on Stringer.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Gimps wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:14 pm Balls deep on Stringer.
EFC site wrote:ESSENDON has met with Jake Stringer as its interest in the Western Bulldogs premiership player ramps up, but the Bombers will not be chasing Brisbane Lions free agent Tom Rockliff.

The Bombers have also confirmed their interest in former player Stewart Crameri, but said the club had other priorities in the upcoming exchange period.

Since being told he would be put up for trade by the Bulldogs earlier this month, Stringer has caught up for a coffee with Essendon list manager Adrian Dodoro, with the Bombers among several clubs linked to the powerful forward.

"We have a really strong desire to see the process through and where Jake wants to get to with his football. We think we're a club now that's a destination club for many AFL players that are looking for a new home," Dodoro said on Tuesday at the launch of NAB AFL Trade Radio.

"He's a quality player and he's got a lot to think through over the next few weeks, and we'd like to be part of that process."

Essendon holds pick No.11 at November's NAB AFL Draft, with Geelong and Richmond other clubs linked strongly to the premiership-winning Bulldog.

Dodoro said the Bombers could get a deal done if Stringer nominated them as his preferred home, and that they didn't have an advantage in negotiations because the Bulldogs had publicly offered Stringer to rivals.

"There's certainly no feeling of [having the] upper hand. We have a lot of respect for the Bulldogs and if he did choose us as his club of choice, then I'm sure we'd sit down and do a fair trade," he said.

Stringer, 23, kicked 24 goals in 16 games this season and was one of a number of Dogs down on form in 2017 after their premiership triumph last year. The Bombers, however, are confident he can recapture his best with a fresh start.

"I've got no doubt that he's got the make-up to become an elite AFL player for many years," Dodoro said.

"We've done a lot due diligence and we're doing a lot more. It's only early days and we're asking a lot of questions. In the very limited discussions we've had with him, he's been really upfront and forthright and I'm sure when we sit down with [Bulldogs list manager] Jason McCartney he'll be the same as well.

"At the moment we're just respecting everyone and trying to find out all the information. I'm sure he's a young man who will find his feet."

The Bombers.... have signaled their intent to land an "elite midfielder" in the upcoming trade period.

They have shown an interest in out-of-contract Giant Matt Kennedy, but will not be pursuing Rockliff as the former Lions captain weighs up whether to stay at the club or look elsewhere as a restricted free agent.

"Tom's a really good player. He probably doesn't fit our demographic for where we're going as a club. We probably identify guys who are 22 or 23 years of age to go with our current group of younger players who we've got," Dodoro said.

"He's a very good player but he's probably not in our sights."

The Bombers also recently met with Liam Pickering, Gary Ablett's manager, and sought to see whether the Gold Coast champion would look at a move to Essendon.

"We certainly asked the question, but [Pickering] shut that down pretty quick," Dodoro said.

Aaron Francis is a young Bomber who continues to be discussed by rival clubs as possibly being on the trade table after a slow start to his AFL career.

However, Francis is contracted for another two seasons and Dodoro said he was "pretty sure" the No.6 pick from two years ago would remain at the club.

As revealed by AFL.com.au, the Bombers have an interest in Crameri, who remains out of contract at the Western Bulldogs after crossing to the club at the end of 2013.

"That's an interesting one. Given he was a former player of the club we'd like to see where he's at, but it's not a priority for us at this point in time," Dodoro said.

In an interview with the Bulldogs' club website, Crameri admitted he had a "disappointing" year, which was marred by a hip injury that surfaced in February and never truly subsided.

But the former Bomber said he was confident that his body would be ready to fire by the pre-season.

"I needed an operation. It's all going well now so I should be fine for next year," Crameri said.

"In the off-season I'll continue to train at the club and do my rehabilitation on my hips and by October I should be running and up and going by then."
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

^^^^^
Really?? Did Dodoro say all that in the one interview?
Rockliff doesn't fit our demographic because we want 22-23 year olds. Rockliff is 27.
But we asked about Gary Ablett who's 33. WTF??

Anyway, about Rockliff - surely it wouldn't hurt us to get him, especially when we're looking for an "elite midfielder" and available ones are disappearing off the possibilities list. And just how many "elite midfielders" are there running around at 22-23?? Gee, what a horrible thing if we happened to get Rockliff and had to "make do" with him for another year or two until we found another (and then had 2 elite midfielders) or developed one from our list/drafts.

My hopes for a decent recruiting season have taken a dive.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

nudder12 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:39 pm ^^^^^
Rockliff doesn't fit our demographic because we want 22-23 year olds. Rockliff is 27.

Anyway, about Rockliff - surely it wouldn't hurt us to get him, especially when we're looking for an "elite midfielder" and available ones are disappearing off the possibilities list. And just how many "elite midfielders" are there running around at 22-23?? Gee, what a horrible thing if we happened to get Rockliff and had to "make do" with him for another year or two until we found another (and then had 2 elite midfielders) or developed one from our list/drafts.

I thought that was strange too. Rocklyffe doesn't fit our demographic but Ablett does

:-s
Essendunny
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Who's this Roqkliph gimps keeps harping on about?
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

tonysoprano wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:32 pm Who's this Roqkliph gimps keeps harping on about?
That's the best one yet..
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Dodoro needs to go. His drafting, over many years, has been average at best.

As I understand it Francis is lazy and has a poor attitude. How Dodoro didn't pick up on that prior to drafting him is completely beyond me.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
desmondo
Regular Senior Player

Post by desmondo »

So Rockliff isn`t on our radar. Why the f*** not??...

I would have thought that he would be a perfect and instant replacement for Jobe, and has a good 2-3 years left in him.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

desmondo wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:15 pm So Rockliff isn`t on our radar. Why the f*** not??...

I would have thought that he would be a perfect and instant replacement for Jobe, and has a good 2-3 years left in him.
Apparently he's not in the age bracket we want (22-23). He's 27 so would have plenty left in him.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

BenDoolan wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:44 pm
nudder12 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:39 pm ^^^^^

I thought that was strange too. Rocklyffe doesn't fit our demographic but Ablett does

:-s
Pretty sure that was Adrian being a smart ass.

In answer to the thread, yes we are.

Ignore the media hype around Stringer, there's plenty suggesting he's coming to ours.
Gaff is another we've spoken to but his trade price is probably to high.
Aaron Hall another.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

gringo wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:11 am Dodoro needs to go. His drafting, over many years, has been average at best.

As I understand it Francis is lazy and has a poor attitude. How Dodoro didn't pick up on that prior to drafting him is completely beyond me.
Nobody picked that up.

Aaron had all the right attitude for under age football.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Re Francis

How often do you see a player who is nothing but a disappointment in his first 2 years actually make it. Francis has given us nothing. Overrated from the beginning and as such will be a list clogger for the next 3 years

If we can trade him out for a decent pick or player combo - take it

I have no doubt the kid has raw talent but isn't it time we as a club stopped flogging dead horses
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Windy_Hill wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:09 pm Re Francis

How often do you see a player who is nothing but a disappointment in his first 2 years actually make it. Francis has given us nothing. Overrated from the beginning and as such will be a list clogger for the next 3 years

I have no doubt the kid has raw talent but isn't it time we as a club stopped flogging dead horses
Bloke by the name of Jobe Watson comes to mind.

We trade him now and we get zero return. We hold him, push the raw talent that he has in spades and we'll get a return.

Christ sacking a bloke after 2 years? Thank god you're not a list manager.
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

boncer34 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:13 pm

We trade him now and we get zero return. We hold him, push the raw talent that he has in spades and we'll get a return.

dane swan also was a slacker in the beginning.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

DC2 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:59 pm

Well David Myers (another pick 6) has been on the list for 10 years and we're still waiting for him to get out of 1st gear...
Essendunny
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

BenDoolan wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:12 pm
DC2 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:59 pm

Well David Myers (another pick 6) has been on the list for 10 years and we're still waiting for him to get out of 1st gear...
I'm not saying hold on to him forever.

But 2 years? Sacking him so soon makes no sense.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Francis is also a big boy, he's the puppy fat type. They take longer to come good in most instances. And he's had his fair share of injuries. Fair to say, if you can't see his potential, time to go to Specsavers. He does need to work harder - he's been given a kick up the arse, so let's see how he responds.

To put things into perspective, the other talls in the top 10 of his draft.

Sam Weideman went 3 picks after Francis and has done 3/5's of f*** all.

Harry McKay went 4 picks after Francis, he's played 2 games and did nothing.

And..

Josh Schache went No.2, was gifted games at a shit club and barely showed glimpses, yet other clubs want him.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

I've been given a Jobe and Swan as players who turned from Ugly Ducklings to Swans. (Excuse the pun)

So we hold onto Francis for 4 years on the basis of that strike rate. That's the problem with this club, always believing we can turn chicken shit into chicken salad. And how well has that worked over the last 17 years.

Merrett, Heppell, McGrath, Daniher, Fantasia. Your good players show you something early. Raz maybe a bit slower but their were clear signs. Even Marty Gleeson who has been slowish to develop has done more in 4 years than Colyer and Myers have in 10

Francis can't even dominate at VFL