Post season 2021...who is on our radar?

Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Re: Post season 2021...who is on our radar?

Post by Rover99 »

One way not to make a blunder in Trade Week...don't take anyone!!
Apparently we are angling for a top 10 pick by trading off future picks.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

So....a few blokes out there going cheap now.

Braden Sier - Pies delisted - at one time he was looked at as a possible "big-bodies mid" for us.
Charlie Constable - Cats delisted - same as above - had promise as a mid.
Jarrod Brander - Eagles delisted - Pick 13 in 2017 as a key forward, never got a chance at Eagles.
Tyson Stengle - delisted by Crows early 2021, had a good SANFL season - small forward.

Probably others - these are just the ones that come to mind from what I've read/heard.
None would be walk-up starts in our best 22, but probably all would have claims at their best.
Any interest in them?
Or others?
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Brander had no hope of really getting going at Nisbett FC.

They keep picking injured players,still not ready or underperforming Senior crabs,who should get dropped,instead of kids busting their arse to get a toehold. :roll:
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

grassy1 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:58 pm Brander had no hope of really getting going at Nisbett FC.

They keep picking injured players,still not ready or underperforming Senior crabs,who should get dropped,instead of kids busting their arse to get a toehold. :roll:
Exactly. He was No. 13 pick for a reason, but couldn't break into Eagles forward line. They tried him as a defender a couple of times, maybe even a wing possibly??. But never really got a go.
You'd think he'd be pretty desperate to prove being No.13 pick was no accident.
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

nudder12 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:02 pm
grassy1 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:58 pm Brander had no hope of really getting going at Nisbett FC.

Exactly. He was No. 13 pick for a reason, but couldn't break into Eagles forward line. They tried him as a defender a couple of times, maybe even a wing possibly??. But never really got a go.
You'd think he'd be pretty desperate to prove being No.13 pick was no accident.
Like his highlights. I'd give him a go. Like the natural way he moves, chest marks, contests, delivery. It's what we need badly. Does he carry any major injuries? https://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/vide ... 1501263001
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Constable confuses me. The cats have the oldest list in the AFL, and Constable showed a lot of promise yet (he came 3rd in the Geelong VFL B&F) they drop him and add another 30 year old.

I'd be interested in Constable and Stengle.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

I'm pissed off that we seem to be the ONLY club where nothing vaguely exciting is happening this year re trades (not even a false rumour). If nothing at all does happen apart from the draft, I'll be seriously worried about our forward line next year. Perhaps the strategy is going to be a switch of existing positions to fill the gaps. At least get the gossip going guys.!!
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Rover99 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:44 pm I'm pissed off that we seem to be the ONLY club where nothing vaguely exciting is happening this year re trades (not even a false rumour). If nothing at all does happen apart from the draft, I'll be seriously worried about our forward line next year. Perhaps the strategy is going to be a switch of existing positions to fill the gaps. At least get the gossip going guys.!!
I don't think we have too many choices. Just need to grow with what we've got - for now. Hopefully the young ones come on a bit more.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Rover99 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:44 pm I'm pissed off that we seem to be the ONLY club where nothing vaguely exciting is happening this year re trades (not even a false rumour). If nothing at all does happen apart from the draft, I'll be seriously worried about our forward line next year. Perhaps the strategy is going to be a switch of existing positions to fill the gaps. At least get the gossip going guys.!!
I don't remember too many A graders swapping clubs this year...
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

s'dreams wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:43 pm
I don't remember too many A graders swapping clubs this year...
Only get what we need, and only if they fit our dynamic.

I like the approach Truck is taking.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

I would also appreciate a year where the media dept goes silent over the preseason... Enough of the "they're training the house down/moving into midfield/looking likely for AA honors/having their best preseason yet" fluff pieces.

Despite nearly 20 years of the same guff ... we are still serving up the same stuff come the finals.
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

s'dreams wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:01 pm I would also appreciate a year where the media dept goes silent over the preseason... Enough of the "they're training the house down/moving into midfield/looking likely for AA honors/having their best preseason yet" fluff pieces.

Despite nearly 20 years of the same guff ... we are still serving up the same stuff come the finals.
Exactly but it's purpose is simply to whip up enthusiasm and attract members. Meanwhile we see some random hope turned into a would-be superman and the pinnacle of our attack next year, only to see him sitting out half the season with an injury.
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

nudder12 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:54 pm
I don't think we have too many choices. Just need to grow with what we've got - for now. Hopefully the young ones come on a bit more.
Yes, all that and more. Then you drop a champ into the missing slot and bingo, it all comes together.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Rover99 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:54 pm
Yes, all that and more. Then you drop a champ into the missing slot and bingo, it all comes together.
The missing slot - which one are you thinking of? A Key Forward?
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

nudder12 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:12 pm
I was speaking in generalities but in our case, yes, a key forward. We have little depth if say, 2MP goes down and he is yet unproven as a consistent performer anyway. Stringer goes missing from time to time too and Harry is of course, yet unproven. Don't know if Stewart can make a return. Oh well, there's always the draft and the odd straggler...
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Rover99 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:35 pm
I was speaking in generalities but in our case, yes, a key forward. We have little depth if say, 2MP goes down and he is yet unproven as a consistent performer anyway. Stringer goes missing from time to time too and Harry is of course, yet unproven. Don't know if Stewart can make a return. Oh well, there's always the draft and the odd straggler...
It'd be great to have a reliable key forward.
Funny thing though - as some folks have pointed out - we were the 4th highest scoring team this year. :-k
Many hanging our future on Baldwin being "the one", and he does look promising. But who knows.
Totally agree we lack depth though - all over the ground. Which is why I was especially surprised Gleeson wasn't offered a contract, because we seem very light on for mid size defenders.
And I'd like to see Stewart back in the forward line - he was really showing something at the end of 2020.
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

nudder12 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:52 pm

Funny thing though - as some folks have pointed out - we were the 4th highest scoring team this year. :-k
Many hanging our future on Baldwin being "the one", and he does look promising. But who knows.
Totally agree we lack depth though - all over the ground. Which is why I was especially surprised Gleeson wasn't offered a contract, because we seem very light on for mid size defenders.
And I'd like to see Stewart back in the forward line - he was really showing something at the end of 2020.
Yes, when you look at the stats, it sounds like we had smooth delivery into the fwd line and accurate kicking to go with it but that mostly wasn't the case. In reality we mostly won ugly and usually had to fight for every damn point (which we did rather well). And of course we lost a few important games that we should have won but didn't lose much percentage because they were so close.
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

Rover99 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:58 am
nudder12 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:52 pm

Yes, when you look at the stats, it would seem like we had smooth delivery into the fwd line and accurate kicking to go with it but that mostly wasn't the case. In reality we mostly won ugly and usually had to fight for every damn point (which we did rather well). And of course we lost a few important games that we should have won but didn't lose much percentage because they were so close.
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

Some Draft comment from FOX:

ESSENDON

Draft picks (as of October 21): 11, 51, 56

The list needs they must address: The Bombers are clearly after a key forward — they were among the bottom-ranked clubs for contested marks inside 50 this year. But the issue is this year’s draft isn’t loaded with tall goalkickers, with more options to be available in 12 months – both via the draft and free agency/trade. It might be more appropriate this year to select a big-bodied midfielder or a pressure forward, considering the Bombers had the worst hardball get differential in the league in 2021 and ranked 13th for forward 50 pressure.

The ideal draft prospects: If the Bombers want to address their key forward chasm at this year’s draft, arguably the best young gun available is East Perth’s Jye Amiss, who booted 51 goals in the WAFL colts this season. He also ranked second in the competition for contested marks (3.0) and first for marks inside 50 (3.5). If Amiss is off the board by Pick 11, the Bombers could look to two other WA-based prospects in Claremont’s Jacob Van Rooyen or East Fremantle’s Jack Williams, but that selection might be too early for those players. If they opt for a midfielder, Calder Cannons’ Josh Goater would have to be in the mix, especially after he played a VFL game for the Bombers where he kicked one goal. An athletic and powerful 190cm on-baller with explosiveness and clean hands, Goater is strong at the contest yet just as capable on the outside, highlighted by his strong finish to the NAB League season where he starred as an intercept defender. Neil Erasmus, Arlo Draper and Matthew Johnson could also be midfield options for the Bombers. Draper could also help address Essendon’s forward-of-centre pressure issue, too.
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

Jye Amiss - a cool and confident weapon in his highlights, with a body that looks like it could develop into something really powerful. Could he still be around at No.11 pick. Really hope so!

Do you know much about him Grassy?