Observations from ding-a-ling-gring

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
gringo
Club Captain

Observations from ding-a-ling-gring

Post by gringo »

1. McPhee - persisting with his personal game of "let's see what the stupidest thing I can do on the football field is before I get benched". Took some excellent grabs though and I was reasonably happy with his game.

2. Lloyd - never had a bad word to say about this bloke. Loved his game despite being played out of position by Knights for much of the game. For the love of God, start Lloyd out of the goal square - if not all the time then at least for every centre bounce. Playing McVeigh out of FF whilst Lloyd is out on a flank for a centre bounce is stupidity in the highest order. Lloyd needs to be able to lead in a straight line. He can't make short sharp turns like McVeigh can. Having said that, the odd spell up the field to gain some confidence isn't a bad thing. Just let him play from the goal square when he's in the forward fifty.

3. Reimers - good attack on the ball, good skills, and has a touch of arrogance and a determination to beat his opponent which all good players have.

4. Hille - monster game, despite playing against a 50% fit Cox. Seems to have improved his running capabilities.

5. Ramanauskus - great bloke but looks terrible out there. Taking the spot of a young kid at the moment. Gone at season's end. They should give him a coaching/mentoring job at the club.

6. Fletcher - we are stuffed when he's gone. Holds the defence together.

7. Ryder - seems to be contesting better and playing with more desperation.

8. Watson - needs to run laps around the centre square (like Priddis) and then cut out to each contest. He gets lost on the wings and runs out of gas.

All in all, a reasonable performance from the boys against a very very very poor WC team. It will be interesting to see how they back up next week.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Re: Observations from ding-a-ling-gring

Post by Gyoza »

gringo wrote:.

2. Lloyd
:shock:
Surely if ever there was a week to talk about Lloyd being "played out of position" and say he must be played from the goalsquare, this is NOT it.
Experiment of playing up the field worked brilliantly, Lloydy got his form back, created a lot of good things, KEPT HIS FEET ( :D ) , had more of a captains influence on the game and allowed Neagle to successfully take on a lot more responsibility.
If Lloydy keeps playing like he did on Friday night I'm happy to not see him start in the goalsquare again. Drop him back there for the odd stint when needed, but that's it.

Agree with all your other points though.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

BomberinJapan wrote:
gringo wrote:.

2. Lloyd
:shock:
Surely if ever there was a week to talk about Lloyd being "played out of position" and say he must be played from the goalsquare, this is NOT it.
Experiment of playing up the field worked brilliantly, Lloydy got his form back, created a lot of good things, KEPT HIS FEET ( :D ) , had more of a captains influence on the game and allowed Neagle to successfully take on a lot more responsibility.
If Lloydy keeps playing like he did on Friday night I'm happy to not see him start in the goalsquare again. Drop him back there for the odd stint when needed, but that's it.

Agree with all your other points though.
You've missed my point. I said that when Lloyd is played in the forward 50, he needs to start in the goal square, not out on a flank. HE can drift up the ground occasionally, but there is no value in playing Llody as a pocket/flank in the forward 50.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
Bomber_Fan
On the Rookie List

Post by Bomber_Fan »

Well Gringo I don't agree with your comments about Lloyd - it is the best game he has had for a long time. It's amazing what you can accomplish when you actually keep your feet like he did last night. I thought he looks pretty unco-ordinated when he tries to kick the ball in general play. Don't know what he had but he actually looked reasonable tonight - almost mobile. Rather than taking the routine 60 seconds to kick the ball forward, he would actually kick it forward quickly.
About Watson, I thought that was the worst game he has played for a long time. It seemed that the West Coast players were reading him whenever he disposed of the ball. If there was a night to criticise Watson, then this was it. He had clanger after clanger.
PS Gringo - there was mention of a facebook group called McPhee Is Skeletor in Saturday's HUN; were you responsible for this? Writer went on to compare him to He-Man lol.